Closed

PC turns OFF while playing games..

Last response: in Video Games
December 10, 2011 12:12:26 PM

I have a big problem. My pc turns off while playing games. :cry: 

Problem description:
-PC just shuts off like there is no power
-only happens while playing games, watching vids or playing music is ok
-New games are mostly affected. PC turns off every 5 mins while playing NBA 2k12, LA Noire and Battlefield 3. Occasionaly with skyrim. Some new games not affected - MW3, Saints Row 3

What Ive done so far:
-Replaced the PSU, I bought a slightly decent PSU - Everest 80 plus 800W, I thought my old PSU was busted
-Updated GPU driver

Im thinking that its a temperature issue but I havent really monitored yet. Thats what im trying to check as of now. Though I have 2 case fans and generic coolers for cpu and gpu.

PC is almost a year old, issue only occured 2 weeks ago. My specs are below.

More about : turns playing games

Best solution

December 10, 2011 7:54:41 PM

It sounds like you've got plenty of power, and have already done some troubleshooting by replacing the PSU. Since that didn't solve the issue, I would agree that it may very well be a heating issue. It could be that the CPU heatsink isn't entirely properly seated or that there just isn't enough airflow through the case.

I use CoreTemp to monitor my PC's temperature: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Combine that with a stress testing program (ie: Prime95) http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 and keep a close eye on your temperatures.

If they start to drift above too high (85-90C or so, depending) I'd stop the stress test, shutdown the PC, wait for it to cool, and re-seat the heatsink. Repeat the stress test after doing so and watch those temperatures again. If they're still too high, you might need more airflow through your case (more case fans)

If it turns out it's not a heating issue, it may be some other kind of hardware malfunction. Various testing software exists for different components and you'll just have to keep testing until you can get an idea of where the problem exists and try replacing that piece of hardware to see if it resolves the issue.

Good luck, waspzz.
December 11, 2011 10:30:37 AM

kufan64 said:
It sounds like you've got plenty of power, and have already done some troubleshooting by replacing the PSU. Since that didn't solve the issue, I would agree that it may very well be a heating issue. It could be that the CPU heatsink isn't entirely properly seated or that there just isn't enough airflow through the case.

I use CoreTemp to monitor my PC's temperature: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Combine that with a stress testing program (ie: Prime95) http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 and keep a close eye on your temperatures.

If they start to drift above too high (85-90C or so, depending) I'd stop the stress test, shutdown the PC, wait for it to cool, and re-seat the heatsink. Repeat the stress test after doing so and watch those temperatures again. If they're still too high, you might need more airflow through your case (more case fans)

If it turns out it's not a heating issue, it may be some other kind of hardware malfunction. Various testing software exists for different components and you'll just have to keep testing until you can get an idea of where the problem exists and try replacing that piece of hardware to see if it resolves the issue.

Good luck, waspzz.

Thanks for the links and comprehensive instructions. Ill try these and see what will happen.
Score
Related resources
December 12, 2011 11:38:25 PM

something is probably overheating. or a possible motherboard fault.
Score
December 13, 2011 1:47:32 AM

Hey could you repost if you fixed the problem. I know a lot of readers would like to know what you found out including me. Thanks
Score
December 13, 2011 11:57:06 AM

DM186 said:
Hey could you repost if you fixed the problem. I know a lot of readers would like to know what you found out including me. Thanks

Sure, I'll be monitoring the issue this week. I'll be skipping the testing phase for now and just go straight to replacing my cpu fan cause as it turns out, my CPU fan is not working as well BUT when the issue 1st occurred, the CPU fan was working ok. So im not sure if its really the cause. I'll buy a new fan then see what'll happen.
Score
December 14, 2011 10:41:57 PM

Good luck to you
Score
December 21, 2011 11:21:17 AM

Ok. Where do I start.. [:henry chinaski:4]

-Before playing I ran a CPU temp monitoring program (Core Temp) and enabled logs so I can have a report of temp readings
-I played LA Noire, my PC always turns off while playing this. 10mins in to the game, my pc turns off
-I turned it back on, checked the temp logs and the CPU temp reached 86° before shutting off - definitely a heating issue

-I installed a new CPU cooler (Deep Cool ICeedge 300U)
-It seems to resolve the issue, My CPU temp now are around 22° on IDLE, around 46° while playing LA Noire and around 36° on other games

Installing a new CPU cooler resolved the issue but are these temp readings ok??
Score
December 21, 2011 11:22:23 AM

Best answer selected by waspzz.
Score
December 21, 2011 12:19:32 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
There ya go. Those are normal cpu temps with a good cooler. cheers!

Its good to hear that my CPU temps are good. I never really cared about heating until now.. :D 
Score
!