cannot run ms-dos or get into task manager

I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt System
file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to if
and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot get
into task manager.
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot task manager

    ringod <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt System
    >file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to if
    >and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot get
    >into task manager.

    To fix the autoexec.nt error copy the file from f:\windows\repair and
    put it into f:\windows\system32

    If the error repeats after fixing it then you have one of several
    known viruses/trojans which cause this problem. You need to make
    certain that your antivirus software is completely up to date, with
    the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
    scan of your hard drive. Then get a second opinion by doing a free
    online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Hi

    Please see if the following article helps:

    "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
    Program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    What happens when you try to access Task Manager?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "mannyd5000" <mannyd5000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please see if the following article helps:
    >>
    >> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows
    >> Based
    >> Program"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    >>
    >> What happens when you try to access Task Manager?
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "ringod" <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    >> > System
    >> > file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want
    >> > if
    >> > and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but
    >> > cannot
    >> > get
    >> > into task manager.
    >>
    >> When I try getting into task manager it sometimes flash on and off or not
    >> respond at all

    Hi

    When was the last time you ran a virus scan, with the latest definitions for
    your AV program, on your system? It could be because your PC has been
    infected.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

MS-DOS Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP