cannot run ms-dos or get into task manager

February 11, 2005 12:17:02 AM

I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt System
file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to if
and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot get
into task manager.

More about : run dos task manager

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:33:09 AM

ringod <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt System
>file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to if
>and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot get
>into task manager.

To fix the autoexec.nt error copy the file from f:\windows\repair and
put it into f:\windows\system32

If the error repeats after fixing it then you have one of several
known viruses/trojans which cause this problem. You need to make
certain that your antivirus software is completely up to date, with
the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
scan of your hard drive. Then get a second opinion by doing a free
online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

February 11, 2005 8:35:01 AM

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

What happens when you try to access Task Manager?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"ringod" <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
> System
> file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to
> if
> and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot
> get
> into task manager.
February 12, 2005 1:13:01 AM

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
> Program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>
> What happens when you try to access Task Manager?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "ringod" <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
> > System
> > file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want to
> > if
> > and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but cannot
> > get
> > into task manager.
>
> When I try getting into task manager it sometimes flash on and off or not respond at all

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:35:39 AM

"mannyd5000" <mannyd5000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows
>> Based
>> Program"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>>
>> What happens when you try to access Task Manager?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "ringod" <ringod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been getting an error message f:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
>> > System
>> > file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows apps. I want
>> > if
>> > and how to fix it. Also I've got too many programs at start up but
>> > cannot
>> > get
>> > into task manager.
>>
>> When I try getting into task manager it sometimes flash on and off or not
>> respond at all

Hi

When was the last time you ran a virus scan, with the latest definitions for
your AV program, on your system? It could be because your PC has been
infected.

--

!