updated modem

February 11, 2005 11:39:05 AM

I updated my Win. ME modem with a Agere win modem 830. I did this because I
was having problems upgrading Win ME to Win XP. After upgrading I could not
connect to Internet. Now when I upgrade, Win XP ingnores my new up date modem
and installs my old Lucent Win Modem. Why does it do this? KayD

More about : updated modem

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:24:30 PM

This is possibly due to left over files during your ME/XP upgrade (files
remaining from ME) or XP doesn't have a suitable driver for your new modem.
Go to Control Panel and click the System icon. Click the hardware tab and
then click the device manager button. In device manager look down the list
for Modems and click the 'plus' sign to display your modem. Now right click
on your modem entry and select 'update driver' Your new modem obviously came
with a cd or floppy containing the relevant driver(s). Insert the CD or
floppy into the relevant drive and then follow through the update driver
wizard. You will need to instruct the wizard to look for the new driver on
the CD or Floppy supplied with your new modem. Once it has found the modem
driver(s) xp will install them and you should then have the correct modem
entry and drivers.
Alternatively, if you can access the internet using a friend machine (as you
have been unable to access using the current drivers) go to your modem
manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers. Copy them to a
floppy disk and then follow the instruction outline above.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"KayD" <KayD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I updated my Win. ME modem with a Agere win modem 830. I did this because I
> was having problems upgrading Win ME to Win XP. After upgrading I could
> not
> connect to Internet. Now when I upgrade, Win XP ingnores my new up date
> modem
> and installs my old Lucent Win Modem. Why does it do this? KayD
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:37:02 PM

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> This is possibly due to left over files during your ME/XP upgrade (files
> remaining from ME) or XP doesn't have a suitable driver for your new modem.
> Go to Control Panel and click the System icon. Click the hardware tab and
> then click the device manager button. In device manager look down the list
> for Modems and click the 'plus' sign to display your modem. Now right click
> on your modem entry and select 'update driver' Your new modem obviously came
> with a cd or floppy containing the relevant driver(s). Insert the CD or
> floppy into the relevant drive and then follow through the update driver
> wizard. You will need to instruct the wizard to look for the new driver on
> the CD or Floppy supplied with your new modem. Once it has found the modem
> driver(s) xp will install them and you should then have the correct modem
> entry and drivers.
> Alternatively, if you can access the internet using a friend machine (as you
> have been unable to access using the current drivers) go to your modem
> manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers. Copy them to a
> floppy disk and then follow the instruction outline above.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>
> "KayD" <KayD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I updated my Win. ME modem with a Agere win modem 830. I did this because I
> > was having problems upgrading Win ME to Win XP. After upgrading I could
> > not
> > connect to Internet. Now when I upgrade, Win XP ingnores my new up date
> > modem
> > and installs my old Lucent Win Modem. Why does it do this? KayD

February 13, 2005 5:31:03 PM

Hi John: Thanks for the advice. I downloaded my Agere modem to a floppy disk
and then downloaded it to Win XP. win xp refused it saying it did not meet
their windows logo testing. Where do I go from here? KayD

> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
> > This is possibly due to left over files during your ME/XP upgrade (files
> > remaining from ME) or XP doesn't have a suitable driver for your new modem.
> > Go to Control Panel and click the System icon. Click the hardware tab and
> > then click the device manager button. In device manager look down the list
> > for Modems and click the 'plus' sign to display your modem. Now right click
> > on your modem entry and select 'update driver' Your new modem obviously came
> > with a cd or floppy containing the relevant driver(s). Insert the CD or
> > floppy into the relevant drive and then follow through the update driver
> > wizard. You will need to instruct the wizard to look for the new driver on
> > the CD or Floppy supplied with your new modem. Once it has found the modem
> > driver(s) xp will install them and you should then have the correct modem
> > entry and drivers.
> > Alternatively, if you can access the internet using a friend machine (as you
> > have been unable to access using the current drivers) go to your modem
> > manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers. Copy them to a
> > floppy disk and then follow the instruction outline above.
> >
> > --
> > John Barnett MVP
> > Associate Expert
> > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
> >
> > "KayD" <KayD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I updated my Win. ME modem with a Agere win modem 830. I did this because I
> > > was having problems upgrading Win ME to Win XP. After upgrading I could
> > > not
> > > connect to Internet. Now when I upgrade, Win XP ingnores my new up date
> > > modem
> > > and installs my old Lucent Win Modem. Why does it do this? KayD

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:17:30 AM

From what i can gather software manufactuers have to pay Microsoft for the
testing and microsoft certification of their drivers. This alone can be
expensive - hence only certain manufacturers will do it. Hauppauge (the
WinTV people) are one manufacturer that XP always refuses their drivers. But
they still work. In a way Microsoft are simply saying 'if we haven't tested
it for windows and something goes wrong then don't blame us.' Chance would
eb a fine thing if we could blame them for anything, i.e security
holes/breaches in xp.
I suggest you first create a system restore point then update the drivers
again. When the window pops up saying the drivers do not meet microsoft
testing criteria select Yes to use the drivers anyway and install the new
drivers. If any problems occur and you can't use your modem after the new
drivers have been installed you can always either use system restore to
restore your pc back to the point before you installed the new driver or,
from device manager, roll back the drivers to the original ones installed by
windows xp.

--

> Hi John: Thanks for the advice. I downloaded my Agere modem to a floppy
> disk
> and then downloaded it to Win XP. win xp refused it saying it did not meet
> their windows logo testing. Where do I go from here? KayD
>

>> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > This is possibly due to left over files during your ME/XP upgrade
>> > (files
>> > remaining from ME) or XP doesn't have a suitable driver for your new
>> > modem.
>> > Go to Control Panel and click the System icon. Click the hardware tab
>> > and
>> > then click the device manager button. In device manager look down the
>> > list
>> > for Modems and click the 'plus' sign to display your modem. Now right
>> > click
>> > on your modem entry and select 'update driver' Your new modem obviously
>> > came
>> > with a cd or floppy containing the relevant driver(s). Insert the CD or
>> > floppy into the relevant drive and then follow through the update
>> > driver
>> > wizard. You will need to instruct the wizard to look for the new driver
>> > on
>> > the CD or Floppy supplied with your new modem. Once it has found the
>> > modem
>> > driver(s) xp will install them and you should then have the correct
>> > modem
>> > entry and drivers.
>> > Alternatively, if you can access the internet using a friend machine
>> > (as you
>> > have been unable to access using the current drivers) go to your modem
>> > manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers. Copy them to a
>> > floppy disk and then follow the instruction outline above.
>> >
>> > --
>> > John Barnett MVP
>> > Associate Expert
>> > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>> >
>> > "KayD" <KayD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:51:03 PM

I was able to download the modem 830 by ignoring ,the driver not signed
message. However ,I still cannot connect to the internet. I spent a whole day
trying to figure out if I had failed to do something I should have. Also I
failed to mention that my screen freezes while dialing to connect & I have no
alternative but to turn my computer off. I received this Win XP as a gift so
I hate to give up on it, but I am about ready to. It is a lot of work to
remove XP and go back to Me, in order to use the internet. Agere modem 830 is
listed as compatible to Win XP. Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.
KayD

!