New xP, microphone no longer works

hi, since i got XP, my microphone no longer works. It says that it doesnt
detect it and that I should plug it in but I'm 100% sure its plugged in, ive
checked. For some info that may help u, I dont have a headset mic. Just one
that sits on your desktop. Its definatly plugged in, I have SP2 for XP Pro. I
previously had Windos ME where my mic worked fine. Ive tried doing the audio
tuning wizard, but it still says I dont have a mic plugged in and it doesnt
detect it. Please help me fix this problemo.

and ive checked the mic volume. its not muted so that is off the list of
problems i think.

thunderstruck_302 wrote:
> but my speakers are working. how could it be my sound card. Its just
> my microphone, that used to work with Windows ME, so I'm thinking
> theirs compatibility issues, a setting gone wrong etc. Im not sure,
> is their a driver that I have to update for my microphone? Its just a
> simple one so.....

So, when your windshield wipers work on your car, that means the engine is
fine?
When the cold water works in your sink, the hot water automatically works
too?

In other words, just because one component of your sound card seems to be
working fine does not mean it is working 100%. Discover the manufacturer of
your sound card and see if there is a driver newer than the one supplied by
Microsoft for your sound card that is known to fix issues.

--
<- Shenan ->

ok Currie.. calm down. I'll check the driver and update it, the only reason i
didnt before is that my speakers are working fine so I thought the driver was
fine and it just had to do with the mic. But u say that the sound card wont
make a difference with the speakers, ill update the driver....

"D.Currie" wrote:

You might also want to double-check the plug.. make sure that it is in the
pink/red socket..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:03EAA264-6CB8-4583-B1CB-98C399B4D5B7@microsoft.com...
> ok Currie.. calm down. I'll check the driver and update it, the only
> reason i
> didnt before is that my speakers are working fine so I thought the driver
> was
> fine and it just had to do with the mic. But u say that the sound card
> wont
> make a difference with the speakers, ill update the driver....
>
> "D.Currie" wrote:

Hi,
I have installed the SP2 onto my computer and now my microphone won't work
at all. It is not recognized by my computer for any of the programs I use it
for ie skype, messenger, dragon speak, team speak. It just seems to be not
there are all. It is plugged in and I have updated the drivers for my sound
card so I don't know what the problem is. I have tried searching for a
solution to this and there are alot of people with the same problem but no
anwers so far. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks
--
Cheers, MlssDavies