reset computer

how do i reset my computer to its factory settings
4 answers Last reply
More about reset computer

    Hoop,
    Try a RESTORE as far back as you can go.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    Follow the instructions.
    TonySper

    "hoop12" <hoop12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    how do i reset my computer to its factory settings

    It depends what you mean by factory settings. If you have been tinkering
    with the bios then you would need to set the bios back to default settings
    using the option in the bios. But i suspect you haven't been tinkering and
    what you actually mean is you want your operating system to look exactly the
    same as when you first bought your pc, without all the accumulated junk you
    may have added over a period of time.
    The simply answer to this, then, is reinstall the operating system. That is
    assuming you have a retail version of xp cd. If it is a branded name pc then
    you may have a set of 'recovery disks'. using these will return your pc to
    its original state. If you don't have recovery disks the operating system
    image file may be on a hidden partition. Either way you will need to check
    with your pc's user manual before proceeding. If the image is on a hidden
    partition then the pc manual will tell you what options to press to start
    the installation.
    You can find the basics of installing windows xp from a retail version cd on
    my website:
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    Click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 85
    If you have a recovery disk(s) then, again, your pc user manual will tell
    you how to use them.
    Any difficulties you can ask for further help in this newsgroup.
    Alternatively there are contact details on my site where you can send
    queries.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    "hoop12" <hoop12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do i reset my computer to its factory settings

    what to do if you don't have any discs or the XP cd??

    You read the manual that was supplied with your computer or contact the
    vendor..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > what to do if you don't have any discs or the XP cd??

Computers Microsoft Factory Restore Windows XP