EQ1: Anyone starting or dusting off bards with new /melody..

Last response: in Video Games
December 21, 2004 1:38:37 AM

Just wondering, how many of you EQ1 players are thinking of starting
up a new bard (or dusting off their old one) now that they have
implemented the new /melody command? And are there any people who
play bards who DON'T like the /melody command, and if so, why? (like
maybe you don't like talking to your group members and twisting songs
gave you an excuse not to! ;-) )

Thanks in advance,

http://members.cox.net/batchild1
http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:48:09 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:38:37 -0800, "Batchild (Sue M.)"
<batchild1@cox.net> wrote:

>Just wondering, how many of you EQ1 players are thinking of starting
>up a new bard (or dusting off their old one) now that they have
>implemented the new /melody command? And are there any people who
>play bards who DON'T like the /melody command, and if so, why? (like
>maybe you don't like talking to your group members and twisting songs
>gave you an excuse not to! ;-) )
>
>Thanks in advance,

When it was first put on Test I tried it out. I didn't like it because
the chain would fail if you "fizzled" a song which happens a LOT with
bards. I found myself playing wack-o-mole constantly having to restart
the "melody". Far too often it would cause songs to drop because the
"missed note" wouild happen in the middle of the melody and the
restart stats at the top. It was still more efficient (and safer) to
control each song manually.

This was all months ago, so maybe they tweaked it in the mean time.
December 21, 2004 9:05:07 PM

In article <rngfs05kkqj1i4edt2ian4j8qsnvs4u281@4ax.com>, batchild1
@cox.net says...
> Just wondering, how many of you EQ1 players are thinking of starting
> up a new bard (or dusting off their old one) now that they have
> implemented the new /melody command? And are there any people who
> play bards who DON'T like the /melody command, and if so, why? (like
> maybe you don't like talking to your group members and twisting songs
> gave you an excuse not to! ;-) )

Melody is useful in downtime. Melody is useful if your a useless bard
who doesn't play the class well, in a group that doesn't really need
you. Melody is useful if you are on an easy raid, and are just there to
sing a few buffs and regens while staying out of the way.

Twisting is still required if you are doing CC, slow, tanking, or
otherwise getting really involved in combat. Melody doesn't cope with
fizzles or resists or interrupts (stuns) or changing situations well.

It's definately a nice feature... but unless you were a pretty useless
bard its merely a nice tool to allow you to take a break when nothing
serious is going on, while still being productive. But its not a
replacement for twisting in the thick of things.
!