Shielding a wireless signal

Hi,
I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.

Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put in
front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
Thanks,
Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about shielding wireless signal

    <mikekelly100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth
    devices
    > but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.
    >
    > Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
    > emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put
    in
    > front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Aluminum foil does a pretty good job

    On 7 Jan 2005 03:53:54 -0800, mikekelly100@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
    >but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.
    >
    >Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
    >emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put in
    >front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
    >Thanks,
    >Mike

    It would be helpful if you would disclose what you're trying to
    accomplish or what problem you're trying to solve.

    You should distinguish between absorption and reflection. Both will
    block a signal but in different ways. A piece of sheet metal, wire
    mesh, or aluminium foil, will prevent the signal from going through,
    but will also reflect the signal to who knows where. If you're trying
    to control the distribution of the signal, this is not a great way to
    do it.

    Absorption converts the RF to heat. A piece of carbon doped
    anti-static foam works nicely. A wet towel works well at 2.4GHz
    because water absorbs RF. If you like spending money, Eccosorb:
    http://www.eccosorb.com/catalog/eccosorb/anw.asp

    For the true fanatics, we have frequency selective wallpaper:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6240

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Taking a moment's reflection, mikekelly100@hotmail.com mused:

    | I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
    | but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.

    Is it to direct the signal, or to contain the signal? If the latter,
    note that Bluetooth's range is fairly limited anyway.

Wireless Devices Bluetooth Wireless Networking