Shielding a wireless signal

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 6:53:54 AM

Hi,
I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.

Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put in
front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
Thanks,
Mike
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 9:40:34 AM

<mikekelly100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth
devices
> but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.
>
> Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
> emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put
in
> front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Aluminum foil does a pretty good job
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 11:40:45 AM

On 7 Jan 2005 03:53:54 -0800, mikekelly100@hotmail.com wrote:

>I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
>but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.
>
>Can I shield my radio emitting device on one side, so that it only
>emits in one direction? In other words, what materials could I put in
>front of my router/bluetooth device to attenuate the signal?
>Thanks,
>Mike

It would be helpful if you would disclose what you're trying to
accomplish or what problem you're trying to solve.

You should distinguish between absorption and reflection. Both will
block a signal but in different ways. A piece of sheet metal, wire
mesh, or aluminium foil, will prevent the signal from going through,
but will also reflect the signal to who knows where. If you're trying
to control the distribution of the signal, this is not a great way to
do it.

Absorption converts the RF to heat. A piece of carbon doped
anti-static foam works nicely. A wet towel works well at 2.4GHz
because water absorbs RF. If you like spending money, Eccosorb:
http://www.eccosorb.com/catalog/eccosorb/anw.asp

For the true fanatics, we have frequency selective wallpaper:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6240

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 8:00:33 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, mikekelly100@hotmail.com mused:

| I am interested in this topic mainly with regards to Bluetooth devices
| but I presume it is equally relevant to wireless in general.

Is it to direct the signal, or to contain the signal? If the latter,
note that Bluetooth's range is fairly limited anyway.
!