Intel 810e sound prob., please help

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I was trying to fix a friend's computer and I'm not used to having driver problems like this. He has an intel 810e motherboard (a complete system from dell or something but he doesn't have the CD, doesn't know what brand his Mobo is and waiting for dell's technical support takes ages, so he wants to fix it himself). The problem is that his sound card is not functional in win98, win xp detects the sound card as ac'97 but it's not working that well either. I downloaded intel inf update for win98 and it detected everything again but still windows cannot find the driver for the "multimedia audio device". Can you please tell me how to fix this driver thing? Do I need another seperate driver for the sound card?
Thanks.

Signature (up to 100 characters). You may use Markup in your signature

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Any idea what the sound card is? Does it have any writing on the chipset? Is it an expansion card or is it on board? Info like that may help, along with BIOS id string, and/or any motherboard info that may be stamped on the MB.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I haven't opened the case and I'm not planning to, although it makes things a lot easier. I think it's the integrated sound card, you know, el-cheapo kind of stuff Dell stuffs in its PC's to people who don't know the difference. I'll try looking for the BIOS ID string when I go there. Would that help?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The AC97 audio needs proper drivers for the codecs the use. some use AD1881/1885, some use ALC100/200/201 or some will use CS4229 or something like that.

maybe you should try a number of codec drivers, almost all available. if you dont want to go for this gruelling task, just open the case and look for a tiny chip about 8mmx8mm near the edge of the PCB where the PCI slots face. you get the name and install the right driver.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, so where would I get these drivers if the intel inf update didn't contain them? Isn't the intel inf update supposed to include all the required drivers for the 810e integrated components?