Cannot remove suspicious programs

Hi there,
I had a security scare recently and after contacting Norton Internet
Security Support Centre they asked me to go through the list of prgrams
installed on my computer and delete those that I suspect being adware (?)
plus, "Internet Optimizer" and "108Search" which everytime I try to delete
nothing happens. Now I have two questions:

1. How can I identify adware from vital programs? (apart from the really
obvious ones!)

2. How can I safely remove those adware programs?

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you very much
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot remove suspicious programs

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "huno79" wrote:

    | Hi there,
    | I had a security scare recently and after contacting Norton Internet
    | Security Support Centre they asked me to go through the list of prgrams
    | installed on my computer and delete those that I suspect being adware (?)
    | plus, "Internet Optimizer" and "108Search" which everytime I try to delete
    | nothing happens. Now I have two questions:
    |
    | 1. How can I identify adware from vital programs? (apart from the really
    | obvious ones!)
    |
    | 2. How can I safely remove those adware programs?
    |
    | Can anyone please help me?
    |
    | Thank you very much

    Thank you very much. It worked really well

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
    >
    > Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    >
    > Symantec Security Check
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "huno79" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi there,
    > | I had a security scare recently and after contacting Norton Internet
    > | Security Support Centre they asked me to go through the list of prgrams
    > | installed on my computer and delete those that I suspect being adware (?)
    > | plus, "Internet Optimizer" and "108Search" which everytime I try to delete
    > | nothing happens. Now I have two questions:
    > |
    > | 1. How can I identify adware from vital programs? (apart from the really
    > | obvious ones!)
    > |
    > | 2. How can I safely remove those adware programs?
    > |
    > | Can anyone please help me?
    > |
    > | Thank you very much

Security Internet Windows XP