Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will there be skyrim mods that need more than 4GB of ram?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 11, 2011 5:04:47 PM

i was just wondering , i've got 8 GB of ram , but with skyrim being modded pretty heavy , i was wondering if i might someday need 16 GB of ram ?

More about : skyrim mods 4gb ram

Best solution

December 12, 2011 2:16:08 AM

Unless the modders or Bethesda write a 64 bit version of the Skyrim exe, you won't need more RAM than that. Even with the Large Address Aware Flag on, Skyrim can only use a maximum of 4GB. Really high resolution texture packs may increase the game's video RAM requirements, but that is handled separately from system RAM, and you can only get more video RAM by upgrading your graphics card. Right now the only reason to have 16GB of RAM is if you are running certain content creation applications that can use that much. If you want to upgrade to be slightly more futureproof, go ahead, RAM prices are at rock bottom right now, but don't expect any improved performance in games. Even games that do have 64 bit versions of the exe don't use more than 4GB.
Share
December 12, 2011 5:37:39 AM

Best answer selected by marquis.
Score
0
Related resources
December 12, 2011 3:55:28 PM

To be honest, I've got 16gb of ram on my system (corsair vengeance 1600mhz) and I've noticed since upgrading from 8gb that my load times for especially skyrim (the game taking 98% of my gaming time - the other 2% being bf3) have improved quite a bit. That's only load times- no increase on fps in-game!

I love having 16gb of ram!

Score
0
December 12, 2011 5:33:28 PM

Samildanach69 said:
To be honest, I've got 16gb of ram on my system (corsair vengeance 1600mhz) and I've noticed since upgrading from 8gb that my load times for especially skyrim (the game taking 98% of my gaming time - the other 2% being bf3) have improved quite a bit. That's only load times- no increase on fps in-game!

I love having 16gb of ram!



just curious what are your computer specs?
Score
0
!