Will there be skyrim mods that need more than 4GB of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
i was just wondering , i've got 8 GB of ram , but with skyrim being modded pretty heavy , i was wondering if i might someday need 16 GB of ram ?

Solution
Unless the modders or Bethesda write a 64 bit version of the Skyrim exe, you won't need more RAM than that. Even with the Large Address Aware Flag on, Skyrim can only use a maximum of 4GB. Really high resolution texture packs may increase the game's video RAM requirements, but that is handled separately from system RAM, and you can only get more video RAM by upgrading your graphics card. Right now the only reason to have 16GB of RAM is if you are running certain content creation applications that can use that much. If you want to upgrade to be slightly more futureproof, go ahead, RAM prices are at rock bottom right now, but don't expect any improved performance in games. Even games that do have 64 bit versions of the exe don't use more...
Unless the modders or Bethesda write a 64 bit version of the Skyrim exe, you won't need more RAM than that. Even with the Large Address Aware Flag on, Skyrim can only use a maximum of 4GB. Really high resolution texture packs may increase the game's video RAM requirements, but that is handled separately from system RAM, and you can only get more video RAM by upgrading your graphics card. Right now the only reason to have 16GB of RAM is if you are running certain content creation applications that can use that much. If you want to upgrade to be slightly more futureproof, go ahead, RAM prices are at rock bottom right now, but don't expect any improved performance in games. Even games that do have 64 bit versions of the exe don't use more than 4GB.

Solution

Samildanach69

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
To be honest, I've got 16gb of ram on my system (corsair vengeance 1600mhz) and I've noticed since upgrading from 8gb that my load times for especially skyrim (the game taking 98% of my gaming time - the other 2% being bf3) have improved quite a bit. That's only load times- no increase on fps in-game!

I love having 16gb of ram!

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

just curious what are your computer specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.