Why does FPS drop when computer gets older? Solution?

Kanzu5665

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hi all, I was reading
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-rift-ssd,3062-14.html
and particularly, in the conclusion,
The passing of time sees all of our systems slow down. Small programs get installed, storage fills up, and more processes run in the background.

I would like to know more about this, and if possible, solutions to this remedy.

Personal story:
I reinstalled Windows 7 and played Team Fortress 2 at 120 fps. This was great fun for a month or so! However, eventually, over time, FPS dropped to around 30 fps with no changes in setting or whatever. It could still get up to 120 fps on occasion, but then it usually dropped. I'm positive that a reinstall would clear things up, but I know the FPS will degrade again.

What can I do to fix my FPS? Should I uninstall some programs? Delete some processes? I think I actually ended all the processes except the core ones yet the FPS issue persisted.

I don't think this is a TF2 issue. All of my other games have suffered drops in FPS.

Yes is true. In background runs new aplications and processe what you have instaled.
A clean reinstal will make things go better,unlucky nor for a long time. There are some programs what stop processes and unecesary programs to run whitout your permission. Like TuneUp or others.

Kanzu5665

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

What sort of maintenance can I do on the computer?

my games run fine and my install of win 7 is over 18 months old. just make sure you keep your startup entries to a minimum. make sure you regularly defrag with a good defrag tool like ulimate defrag/defraggler or auslogics defrag.
clean your registry... 1 thing you dont ever do is compact the registry. doing so will cause system slow down. because the registry cant insert entries into free space like it normally would. resulting in having multiple smaller registry blocks. instead of 1 big 1.