CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
RAM: 12 GB Gskill 1600
GPU1: EVGA GTX 460 SE 1 GB
GPU2: EVGA GTX 460 SE 1 GB
PSU: 850watt Corsair
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
Case: Level 10 GT, a lot of fans for airflow
CPU cooler: hyper 212, i have a cooler master v6 gt on the way

Question is, how well will this run Battlefield 3? It cant manage Metro 2033 on ultra + dx11 which kind of surprised me, so I'm wondering how well it will run BF3. Any comments would be nice, and if you can think of a place to improve my PC please feel free to make suggestions.

Edit: I'm running at 1920x1080 on my main screen, and 1600x900 on my second screen. Figured that would be important to add.

Solution
you should be playing at the highest settings or near enough. the only thing you may have to turn down will be the anti aliasing options... and to get a higher fps rate you may want to reduce some gfx quality when you play on line. as this will help sync to your net data rate. enabling fluid and accurate play.
running it off an ssd will make a little difference to load times but online you will hardly notice any difference.

nnaatthhaannx2

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
you will be good at your full res to do about mid/high settings to keep the fps at 60+
you didn't say ur hdd, but sdd's are good for this game cuz the levels have long load times, especially in campaign, you have to load the level every time you die.

you should be playing at the highest settings or near enough. the only thing you may have to turn down will be the anti aliasing options... and to get a higher fps rate you may want to reduce some gfx quality when you play on line. as this will help sync to your net data rate. enabling fluid and accurate play.
running it off an ssd will make a little difference to load times but online you will hardly notice any difference.

Solution
hey guys, im wondering if my trifire 6970/6990 and i-7 2600k will run BF3? i was just wondering cause i can max out the most demanding game out there , and want to know .
srsly now, if you want to show off your rig, theres an appropriate thread called " member system gallery" you should take full advantage of.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

dont think your rig can run it, sry.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
alright thanks. I read somewhere that the difference between high and ultra isn't very noticeable in BF3. is that true? I think ill be getting it because high settings is good enough for me, I just wanted to make sure it would run good. I mean rage wont run over 20 fps so I never know..

Rage wont run over 20 fps? It should be running at 60fps locked on your setup. There might be something wrong here.

it is above the video options in the dx11 options tab. Tesselation should be ok but advanced dof is probably what is making your system get swamp ass

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Alright sounds good, I'll try it when I get home. I'll have to let you know if it goes well. How about RAGE? Any ideas on why that runs so bad. I've never gotten over 25fps in that game no matter what settings I change.. not that there are that many to change..

If you are using current drivers and it is still doing that, try disabling a gpu and running it on one and see what happens. Sometimes these newer games especially lately have poor sli or xfire scaling until patches are released. Witcher 2 and crysis 2 were among those

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Yes I do have the newest drivers. Yeah maybe thats it, Crysis 2 didnt run all that well now that I think about it. I expected it to run much better than it did. Hmm looks like I have some messing around to do when I get home. I havent played crysis since it came out, did the DX11 patch fix SLI scaling?

the sli performance was supposedly increased and dx11+hi rez textures looks pretty sweet

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I tested out Metro and it still chugs. My computer cannot handle dx11 + ultra settings even with advanced dof off. It runs totally fine on dx10 ultra or dx11 high with advanced dof. Rage runs and looks great when i turn sli off. When sli is on on the game looks BAD beyond belief and runs at about 20 fps.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I will do that maybe in a bit. I think the problem with rage is that the game wasn't written all too welland suffers from consolitus. ill check the usages on metro though

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I just tested metro in the mission where you cross the bridge with bourbon, its pretty early in the game and not much is really going on visually.. gpu's were both at 98% almost at all times and i got 70fps on the high and i think 25 was my lowest. Thats actually much better than what I had experienced before in the metro station full of people but not a whole lot is going on in this mission. This was on dx11 very high, aaa, 4x AF, and no advanced dof. Hows that sound? Idk it really struggles in the first two stations, maybe its just those areas..
edit: I would test an outdoor map but i no longer have those saves, I lost my old saves a while back before i had a second 460 and i had a q9400 instead of my i5

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I also made it outdoors to the dead city. It hits lows of about 17 fps and had a high of 80 i think. It seems to be performing much better now that im out of the first part of the game... odd. But overall, besides the first mission on the railcar with the anomaly, its running more like i expected it to. The first like hour of the game though on very high + dx11 it really struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.