Harddrive Removal of

I am running Windows XP Pro on my machine with 2 Ea 80 Gig Western Digital
drives. I have not stored anything on second drive at this time. I took
second drive electrically out of system to start building new system. Now
old system will not boot, if I re-install 2nd drive electrically, system
boots fine. What do I have to do to take 2nd drive out of system?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:45:03 -0800, "topdog3342"
<topdog3342@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Windows XP Pro on my machine with 2 Ea 80 Gig Western Digital
>drives. I have not stored anything on second drive at this time. I took
>second drive electrically out of system to start building new system. Now
>old system will not boot, if I re-install 2nd drive electrically, system
>boots fine. What do I have to do to take 2nd drive out of system?

You need to check the jumpers on the harddrive you're leaving in the
machine. It needs to be configured for "single" mode - usually this can
be done by removing the jumpers but consult the diagram on the drive case.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"topdog3342" <topdog3342@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro on my machine with 2 Ea 80 Gig Western Digital
> drives. I have not stored anything on second drive at this time. I took
> second drive electrically out of system to start building new system. Now
> old system will not boot, if I re-install 2nd drive electrically, system
> boots fine. What do I have to do to take 2nd drive out of system?

WD has different jumper settings for master with slave and for master alone.
When you take the 2nd drive out you have to change the jumper setting.