Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EQ2 game mechanics, e.g. mana regen

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:44:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
two after fighting is done and he's way down.

Anyone know any good sites that go into this sort of game mechanics?
Health regen, mana regen, proper way to do heroic opportunities in a
group, that sort of stuff? I've kind of resisted doing a lot of
"outside reading" on EQ2 because I find it MUCH more fun and immersive
to find stuff out in-game, but I think I'm at the point where I could
use a few pointers.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:44:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Like they said.
Sitting/standing/running makes no difference, there is no 'meditation'
When you're locked in combat, there's almost no mana/health
regeneration
Out of combat, you regen pretty fast, especially if you have food
(health) and drink (power)
Every time you 'miniding' (10%) you get full health/power
December 21, 2004 4:52:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:44:38 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
>the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
>that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
>Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
>the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
>two after fighting is done and he's way down.
>
>Anyone know any good sites that go into this sort of game mechanics?
>Health regen, mana regen, proper way to do heroic opportunities in a
>group, that sort of stuff? I've kind of resisted doing a lot of
>"outside reading" on EQ2 because I find it MUCH more fun and immersive
>to find stuff out in-game, but I think I'm at the point where I could
>use a few pointers.

Food and drink are the keys to regen for HPs and mana. You're probably
going lom when your drink has run out. Sitting makes no difference.
Different drinks and foods give different regen rates. Allakhazam has
a pretty good explanation of HOs. I think it was allakhazam anyway,
maybe it's castersrealm.
December 21, 2004 5:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

murdocj wrote:

> I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
> the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
> that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
> Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
> the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
> two after fighting is done and he's way down.


Power regen -- EQ2 doesn't have "mana" -- is determined
by two factors: the drink you are using and whether you
are in combat in not ("in combat" means you've locked an
encounter, not a mob has aggro'd on you.) Health regen
is determined the same way except with food instead of
drink. Food/drink from order of worst to best: summoned
(by priests), merchant bought, crafted (in crafting quality
order by tier -- a pristine gives more regen than shaped
item, food/drink from tier 1 items (newbie zones) give less
regen than food/drink from higher-level zones, in order.
Regen inside combat is minimal. Exactly how much
regen is involved with everything isn't specified in-game
yet; it's supposed to be in today's patch (unless they
moved the big patch back.)

There's another "gift" in there too -- if you level to a multiple
of 10%, you get instant full health/power. That can occur
inside fights with multiple mobs or after.

> Anyone know any good sites that go into this sort of game mechanics?
> Health regen, mana regen, proper way to do heroic opportunities in a
> group, that sort of stuff?

The EQ2 forums are okay and a lot of the basics are there.
I'm not fond of web forums in general but the content is
there if you look.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:CnWxd.167029$Oc.10883
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> murdocj wrote:
>
>> I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
>> the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
>> that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
>> Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
>> the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
>> two after fighting is done and he's way down.
>
>
> Power regen -- EQ2 doesn't have "mana" -- is determined
> by two factors: the drink you are using and whether you
> are in combat in not ("in combat" means you've locked an
> encounter, not a mob has aggro'd on you.) Health regen
> is determined the same way except with food instead of
> drink. Food/drink from order of worst to best: summoned
> (by priests), merchant bought, crafted (in crafting quality
> order by tier -- a pristine gives more regen than shaped
> item, food/drink from tier 1 items (newbie zones) give less
> regen than food/drink from higher-level zones, in order.
> Regen inside combat is minimal. Exactly how much
> regen is involved with everything isn't specified in-game
> yet; it's supposed to be in today's patch (unless they
> moved the big patch back.)
>
> There's another "gift" in there too -- if you level to a multiple
> of 10%, you get instant full health/power. That can occur
> inside fights with multiple mobs or after.
>

I had wondered what was happening there, never tied it to my xp bar.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <su9gs0tpl9c4dglc4e7oha9v4fopumscss@4ax.com>,
murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
> the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
> that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
> Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
> the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
> two after fighting is done and he's way down.

Whenever you fill a bubble of XP, you get a boost to full health and
full mana. Are these mysterious "finish a fight at full mana" events
occurring on the fights that finish a bubble, by any chance?

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:42:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:34:15 GMT, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>In article <su9gs0tpl9c4dglc4e7oha9v4fopumscss@4ax.com>,
> murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I've played EQ1 for a long time and am making the migration to EQ2 at
>> the behest of my wife. I find myself confused by some aspects of EQ2
>> that simply work completely differently than EQ1, such as mana regen.
>> Seems like sometimes my mage casts and casts and casts, and finishes
>> the fight full mana, other times I glance at his mana bar a minute or
>> two after fighting is done and he's way down.
>
>Whenever you fill a bubble of XP, you get a boost to full health and
>full mana. Are these mysterious "finish a fight at full mana" events
>occurring on the fights that finish a bubble, by any chance?

At least one time it did. I had heard something about power regen
(sorry for the archaic "mana" reference in my original post) being
tied to the amount of experience, and I did notice one time that I was
"fp" at the end of fight, coincidentally having just gone to a full
40% into the level.
!