Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motorola == Junk... Part 2

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You may remember a post I made about an unrepairable Motorola cell phone about
6 months ago.

Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same nonsense - the
large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.

Last time they said it was "water damaged" and refused to fix it. While it may
have been water damaged, this would have been the result of inadequate
engineering to prevent water entry on Motorola's part, as I didn't do anything
unusual with that phone.

Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone? Obviously
I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so won't be changing
that. My desires are:

CDMA 800/1900 plus analog (I travel around a bit, in remote areas - need analog
for that)

NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.

Great battery life. (The Motorola T720 wants an extension cord unless you buy
an aftermarket battery with a blister-back for the phone to contain the larger
size of it. Then you can get it to last a reasonable time on receive. Tired
of this.)

Good receive volume. (The Motorola T720's receive volume is poor. Tired of
this too.)

Computer management of the phone book - rs-232 or USB or both.

Vibrate instead of ring option, with a good vibrator (Motorola T720's is easily
missed, and I'm tired of that too.)

Voice activated dialing.

Finally, can anyone elaborate on the "Free phone every 6 months" program from
Verizon? Is this real? I'll likely find out at Cicuit City or Best Buy or
Radio Shack tomorrow, but would like to read about it tomorrow morning from
someone here.

Be assured I _will_ be buying the insurance / extended warranty that replaces
the phone if it fails for any reason. This will be my 4th phone, after 1
Motorola phone with moderate problems and 2 essentially dead (can't read
display) Motorola phones to date, after 3 years, and the 1st one lasted 2
years.

Dave Head

More about : motorola junk part

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Dave Head wrote:
> You may remember a post I made about an unrepairable Motorola cell
> phone about 6 months ago.
>
> Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same
> nonsense - the large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.
>
> Last time they said it was "water damaged" and refused to fix it.
> While it may have been water damaged, this would have been the result
> of inadequate engineering to prevent water entry on Motorola's part,
> as I didn't do anything unusual with that phone.
>
> Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone?
> Obviously I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so
> won't be changing that. My desires are:
>
> CDMA 800/1900 plus analog (I travel around a bit, in remote areas -
> need analog for that)
>
> NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.
>
> Dave Head

So... put a dab of black paint over the lens and show that modification to
security or your supervisor. Now you have no camera and greatly increase
the selection of phones available to you.
--

- Philip
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:43:20 GMT, ".Philip."
<1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>So... put a dab of black paint over the lens and show that modification to
>security or your supervisor. Now you have no camera and greatly increase
>the selection of phones available to you.

Hardly secure. Judicious use of a fingernail brings the camera
function right back.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:11:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:43:20 GMT, ".Philip."
> <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> So... put a dab of black paint over the lens and show that
>> modification to security or your supervisor. Now you have no camera
>> and greatly increase the selection of phones available to you.
>
> Hardly secure. Judicious use of a fingernail brings the camera
> function right back.

The solvent in paint has a propensity to etch this kind of plastic. It's
secure. Besides, wasn't the context government security concerns? Where
were those laptops discovered having all that top top secret defense and FBI
data? LOL
--

- Philip
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:32:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Begin Dave Head quote:

; Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same nonsense - the
; large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.

Motorola pretty much lost me as a customer after I had two T710's die
on me. The T720 is supposed to be an upgraded T710.

My brother's Kyocera K-something finally bit the dust after several
years of use, he traded in for a Verizon Motorola V60 a couple months
ago. He seems to like it.

; Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone? Obviously
; I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so won't be changing
; that. My desires are:

Kyocera, LG, I'd even go back to Nokia, just not one of the bottom-rung
models.

; Computer management of the phone book - rs-232 or USB or both.
;
; Vibrate instead of ring option, with a good vibrator (Motorola T720's is easily
; missed, and I'm tired of that too.)
;
; Voice activated dialing.

Handheld, or in a car?

FYI, I have the Kyocera smartphone. It lists everything you want
above, with the following caveats:

Battery life isn't quite as good as advertised in fringe areas. If
you're going to be places where you need analog, get a spare battery
and keep it charged and with you, you will probably need it. It does
have voice activated dialing, but only when connected to external power
and speaker. Ie, the available car kit or power cord and head set.

Being a smartphone (PalmOS4), your phonebook synchs to your computer
(Palm Desktop or Outlook are standard, conduits are available for other
desktop PIMs).

And unlike the Treo, it has no camera. Also, the Treo is digital only.

; Finally, can anyone elaborate on the "Free phone every 6 months" program from
; Verizon? Is this real? I'll likely find out at Cicuit City or Best Buy or

It's "New Every Two". With a two-year contract for a service plan of
$35 or more a month, you get a $100 credit towards a new phone every
other year. This credit is use-or-loose, you cannot save it and get
$200 on the fourth year.

; Be assured I _will_ be buying the insurance / extended warranty that replaces
; the phone if it fails for any reason. This will be my 4th phone, after 1
; Motorola phone with moderate problems and 2 essentially dead (can't read
; display) Motorola phones to date, after 3 years, and the 1st one lasted 2
; years.

I'd base getting the insurance on the cost of the phone. I got it for
mine because it's $400 to replace.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"Very impressive. What are they?" (Dr. Bashir, ST:D S9 "Apocalypse
Rising")
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:13:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:

>You may remember a post I made about an unrepairable Motorola cell phone about
>6 months ago.
>
>Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same nonsense - the
>large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.
>
>Last time they said it was "water damaged" and refused to fix it. While it may
>have been water damaged, this would have been the result of inadequate
>engineering to prevent water entry on Motorola's part, as I didn't do anything
>unusual with that phone.
>
>Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone? Obviously
>I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so won't be changing
>that. My desires are:
>
>CDMA 800/1900 plus analog (I travel around a bit, in remote areas - need analog
>for that)
>
>NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.
>
>Great battery life. (The Motorola T720 wants an extension cord unless you buy
>an aftermarket battery with a blister-back for the phone to contain the larger
>size of it. Then you can get it to last a reasonable time on receive. Tired
>of this.)
>
>Good receive volume. (The Motorola T720's receive volume is poor. Tired of
>this too.)
>
>Computer management of the phone book - rs-232 or USB or both.
>
>Vibrate instead of ring option, with a good vibrator (Motorola T720's is easily
>missed, and I'm tired of that too.)
>
>Voice activated dialing.
>
>Finally, can anyone elaborate on the "Free phone every 6 months" program from
>Verizon? Is this real? I'll likely find out at Cicuit City or Best Buy or
>Radio Shack tomorrow, but would like to read about it tomorrow morning from
>someone here.
>
>Be assured I _will_ be buying the insurance / extended warranty that replaces
>the phone if it fails for any reason. This will be my 4th phone, after 1
>Motorola phone with moderate problems and 2 essentially dead (can't read
>display) Motorola phones to date, after 3 years, and the 1st one lasted 2
>years.
>
>Dave Head

Update - got a LG VX3200. Yeah, I know, cheap. Since the Motorola wasn't
upgradeable and it was gonna cost me big bucks to purchase a phone outright, I
cheaped out. But no more Motorola for me.

The vibrator in this LG phone is great - I won't miss it's buzz, unlike the
Motorola T730. The receive volume is more than adequate - I have to turn it
down, unlike the Motorola that I could barely hear in a situation with any
background noise at all. Dunno about the battery life, but if it is
inadequate, I can always buy more batteries and charge 'em.

Now, if anyone has a T730 and wants some extra batteries, a speakerphone style
handsfree kit for the car along with an external mic, all for a T730, make me
an offer. I have enough accessories for Motorola that I kinda hated to switch,
but I'll be happy to (maybe) not have the display die every 6 months or so.

And if it does die, or anything else happens to it, I bought the insurance for
$5.99 a month.

Dave Head
December 30, 2004 6:19:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The new Motorola V260 (V265 without a camera). Fantastic phone. Great
reception and audio. Good battery life. Compact and lightweight.

"Dave Head" <rally2xs@att.net> wrote in message
news:mcd4t0t20cu4kjp5jufcj8i2kaj2n8270k@4ax.com...
> You may remember a post I made about an unrepairable Motorola cell phone
about
> 6 months ago.
>
> Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same nonsense -
the
> large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.
>
> Last time they said it was "water damaged" and refused to fix it. While
it may
> have been water damaged, this would have been the result of inadequate
> engineering to prevent water entry on Motorola's part, as I didn't do
anything
> unusual with that phone.
>
> Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone?
Obviously
> I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so won't be
changing
> that. My desires are:
>
> CDMA 800/1900 plus analog (I travel around a bit, in remote areas - need
analog
> for that)
>
> NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.
>
> Great battery life. (The Motorola T720 wants an extension cord unless you
buy
> an aftermarket battery with a blister-back for the phone to contain the
larger
> size of it. Then you can get it to last a reasonable time on receive.
Tired
> of this.)
>
> Good receive volume. (The Motorola T720's receive volume is poor. Tired
of
> this too.)
>
> Computer management of the phone book - rs-232 or USB or both.
>
> Vibrate instead of ring option, with a good vibrator (Motorola T720's is
easily
> missed, and I'm tired of that too.)
>
> Voice activated dialing.
>
> Finally, can anyone elaborate on the "Free phone every 6 months" program
from
> Verizon? Is this real? I'll likely find out at Cicuit City or Best Buy
or
> Radio Shack tomorrow, but would like to read about it tomorrow morning
from
> someone here.
>
> Be assured I _will_ be buying the insurance / extended warranty that
replaces
> the phone if it fails for any reason. This will be my 4th phone, after 1
> Motorola phone with moderate problems and 2 essentially dead (can't read
> display) Motorola phones to date, after 3 years, and the 1st one lasted 2
> years.
>
> Dave Head
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head wrote:
>Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone?

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:19:40 GMT, DonR wrote:
>The new Motorola V260 (V265 without a camera). Fantastic phone. Great
>reception and audio. Good battery life. Compact and lightweight.

I guess the "new Motorola V260" is a "non-Motorola" phone?
December 31, 2004 5:46:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Why would you guess that?

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
news:37t7t0pf77tpg047n5aavlj9hr5pf99180@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head wrote:
> >Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone?
>
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:19:40 GMT, DonR wrote:
> >The new Motorola V260 (V265 without a camera). Fantastic phone. Great
> >reception and audio. Good battery life. Compact and lightweight.
>
> I guess the "new Motorola V260" is a "non-Motorola" phone?
>
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:03:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:46:43 GMT, "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Why would you guess that?

The guy *specifically* asked for a "non-Motorola phone"! Read!!!

>"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
>news:37t7t0pf77tpg047n5aavlj9hr5pf99180@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head wrote:
>> >Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone?
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:19:40 GMT, DonR wrote:
>> >The new Motorola V260 (V265 without a camera). Fantastic phone. Great
>> >reception and audio. Good battery life. Compact and lightweight.
>>
>> I guess the "new Motorola V260" is a "non-Motorola" phone?
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:38:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Probably not what you wanna hear, but you can still use Moto v60s with
Verizon. Going for about $75 on eBay, and free for new subscribers
through indirect dealers.

Rob
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:11:11 GMT, ".Philip."
<1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:43:20 GMT, ".Philip."
>> <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> So... put a dab of black paint over the lens and show that
>>> modification to security or your supervisor. Now you have no camera
>>> and greatly increase the selection of phones available to you.
>>
>> Hardly secure. Judicious use of a fingernail brings the camera
>> function right back.
>
>The solvent in paint has a propensity to etch this kind of plastic. It's
>secure.

It would depend greatly on what kind of paint you use and what the
person might put under the paint. If someone wanted to temporarily
conceal their camera lens in this manner for surreptitious purposes,
it would be very easy to do. And if this is done on a new phone, good
luck getting warranty service on it.

>Besides, wasn't the context government security concerns? Where
>were those laptops discovered having all that top top secret defense and FBI
>data? LOL

The lax security in this country is a topic for another discussion,
another day.;-)
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 9:11:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:32:12 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:

>Begin Dave Head quote:
>
>; Well, the new one has failed, again after about 6 months. Same nonsense - the
>; large LCD display on this T720 has ceased to function.
>
>Motorola pretty much lost me as a customer after I had two T710's die
>on me. The T720 is supposed to be an upgraded T710.
>
>My brother's Kyocera K-something finally bit the dust after several
>years of use, he traded in for a Verizon Motorola V60 a couple months
>ago. He seems to like it.
>
>; Now... anybody have any suggestions for a decent non-Motorola phone? Obviously
>; I have Verizon Wireless. I'm very happy with Verizon, so won't be changing
>; that. My desires are:
>
>Kyocera, LG, I'd even go back to Nokia, just not one of the bottom-rung
>models.
>
>; Computer management of the phone book - rs-232 or USB or both.
>;
>; Vibrate instead of ring option, with a good vibrator (Motorola T720's is easily
>; missed, and I'm tired of that too.)
>;
>; Voice activated dialing.
>
>Handheld, or in a car?
>
>FYI, I have the Kyocera smartphone. It lists everything you want
>above, with the following caveats:
>
>Battery life isn't quite as good as advertised in fringe areas. If
>you're going to be places where you need analog, get a spare battery
>and keep it charged and with you, you will probably need it. It does
>have voice activated dialing, but only when connected to external power
>and speaker. Ie, the available car kit or power cord and head set.
>
>Being a smartphone (PalmOS4), your phonebook synchs to your computer
>(Palm Desktop or Outlook are standard, conduits are available for other
>desktop PIMs).
>
>And unlike the Treo, it has no camera. Also, the Treo is digital only.
>
>; Finally, can anyone elaborate on the "Free phone every 6 months" program from
>; Verizon? Is this real? I'll likely find out at Cicuit City or Best Buy or
>
>It's "New Every Two". With a two-year contract for a service plan of
>$35 or more a month, you get a $100 credit towards a new phone every
>other year. This credit is use-or-loose, you cannot save it and get
>$200 on the fourth year.
>
>; Be assured I _will_ be buying the insurance / extended warranty that replaces
>; the phone if it fails for any reason. This will be my 4th phone, after 1
>; Motorola phone with moderate problems and 2 essentially dead (can't read
>; display) Motorola phones to date, after 3 years, and the 1st one lasted 2
>; years.
>
>I'd base getting the insurance on the cost of the phone. I got it for
>mine because it's $400 to replace.

Hi Jeffry,

Thanks for the good info. You may have seen where I got a cheapo LG VX3200.
I'll use that until at least March 10, when my defunct Motorola is eligible
form upgrade. Then maybe I can refer back to this and make a better decision.

Thanks again,

Dave Head
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 3:53:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On 31 Dec 2004 12:38:12 -0800, "Rob Gendreau" <rob.gendreau@gmail.com> wrote:

>Probably not what you wanna hear, but you can still use Moto v60s with
>Verizon. Going for about $75 on eBay, and free for new subscribers
>through indirect dealers.
>
>Rob

Well... its Motorola. In addition to the unreliability of the devices, they
ticked me off by refusing to fix the one that died last June. They said,
"Customer Abuse - Water Damage". Now, they could have just said, "Water
Damage" and I _might_ have felt a little better about it, but they were
aggressive/vicious in their demeanor on the subject. I used that cell phone in
an ordinary manner, it never got "dunked" or anything like that. If it got
water damaged, I believe it to be their poor engineering in producing a
portable product that won't stand up to everyday encounters with environmental
hazards such as water. I mean, this is planet earth, and _not_ the Phoenix or
Death Valley area of it, so yeah, it just might rain. And this _is_ Viriginia,
so it has, for the last couple years, rained _a lot_. So... I feel Motorola
cell phones are poorly engineered and the company is not standing behind their
products.

Dave Head
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 7:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
>NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.

Where I work, *all* cell phones are prohibited. You can't even bring one
in the building, even if it's turned-off.

Wireless computer keyboards are prohibited, too.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 7:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:32:17 GMT, Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:05:39 GMT, Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
>>NO camera - gov installation I work at abhors cameras.
>
>Where I work, *all* cell phones are prohibited. You can't even bring one
>in the building, even if it's turned-off.

There are some buildings like that where I work too. I may be in one of 'em
soon. No sweat. Before I get out of the car, I'll just forward my cell number
to my work number.

>Wireless computer keyboards are prohibited, too.

OK - never felt the need for one, and I can see the point - the bad guys could
pick up some of the radiation from it and figger out what ur up to.

Dave Head
!