Is it possible, with system restore, to do a "selective" restore? I just want
to restore one program, not the entire backup. I have it on CD and it is a
zip file.

Hi Steve,

No, System Restore does not work that way.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx

What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Steve C wrote:
> Is it possible, with system restore, to do a "selective"
> restore? I just want to restore one program, not the
> entire backup. I have it on CD and it is a zip file.

Any other suggestions?

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> No, System Restore does not work that way.
>
> Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
>
> Windows XP System Restore:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
>
> What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Steve C wrote:
> > Is it possible, with system restore, to do a "selective"
> > restore? I just want to restore one program, not the
> > entire backup. I have it on CD and it is a zip file.

Once again, What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
And how was it created?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Steve C wrote:
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> No, System Restore does not work that way.
>>
>> Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in
>> Windows XP:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
>>
>> Windows XP System Restore:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
>>
>> What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Steve C wrote:
>>> Is it possible, with system restore, to do a "selective"
>>> restore? I just want to restore one program, not the
>>> entire backup. I have it on CD and it is a zip file.

Backup of my C drive. The only thing I want to "restore" are the program
files for TurboTax (my 2003 tax records). That help?

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Once again, What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
> And how was it created?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Steve C wrote:
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Steve,
> >>
> >> No, System Restore does not work that way.
> >>
> >> Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in
> >> Windows XP:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
> >>
> >> Windows XP System Restore:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
> >>
> >> What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

Did you use the Windows Backup Utility?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Steve C wrote:
> Backup of my C drive. The only thing I want to "restore"
> are the program files for TurboTax (my 2003 tax records).
> That help?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Once again, What exactly do you have saved to the CD as
>> a zip file? And how was it created?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Steve C wrote:
>>> Any other suggestions?

Steve

Why not use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall and reinstall TurboTax?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Steve C" <SteveC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Backup of my C drive. The only thing I want to "restore" are the
> program
> files for TurboTax (my 2003 tax records). That help?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Once again, What exactly do you have saved to the CD as a zip file?
>> And how was it created?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Steve C wrote:
>> > Any other suggestions?

At least it makes sense. Originally you said you used System Restore which
doesn't create zip files and doesn't save programs.

But we're still a little in the dark, as the Windows backup program doesn't
create zip files either.

Might be a good idea to explain what program you used to create this backup,
or better yet, find out from their instructions what you need to do to
restore a single program. It may not be possible, considering that to run a
program, you not only need the program folder but you also need all the
registry keys and everything else it installs...unless the backup program
can recreate those individual registry keys, it's pretty unlikely you'd have
a running version of the program.