Explorer freezes in XP sp2. In task manager you can't end ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I have a problem that I'm using windows explorer then it freezes. It
doesn't let me do anything. I go to task manager try end task on the
application tab. It allows me to go through the process of clicking to
end the process but it doesn't end the process. I look at process tab
and again it lets me click to end the process but doesn't end the
process. This is on a dual Xeon workstation with hyperthreading.
Whilst all this is going on explorer.exe is using 25% of the the Cpu
power. The only way to stop this is to reboot. Is there any fix for
this problem. Thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about explorer freezes task manager
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    William.R.Reisen wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem that I'm using windows explorer then it freezes. It
    > doesn't let me do anything. I go to task manager try end task on the
    > application tab. It allows me to go through the process of clicking to
    > end the process but it doesn't end the process. I look at process tab
    > and again it lets me click to end the process but doesn't end the
    > process. This is on a dual Xeon workstation with hyperthreading.
    > Whilst all this is going on explorer.exe is using 25% of the the Cpu
    > power. The only way to stop this is to reboot. Is there any fix for
    > this problem. Thank you.

    This could be software or hardware. There isn't any way to tell from
    your post. Start with the software: is your computer 100% virus and
    spyware-free? If you think so, how did you determine that?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Hi William,
    I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I was just about to post an almost
    identical problem that I'm having with my XP HE, so I will be very interested
    if anyone can help the both of us.

    "William.R.Reisen" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem that I'm using windows explorer then it freezes. It
    > doesn't let me do anything. I go to task manager try end task on the
    > application tab. It allows me to go through the process of clicking to
    > end the process but it doesn't end the process. I look at process tab
    > and again it lets me click to end the process but doesn't end the
    > process. This is on a dual Xeon workstation with hyperthreading.
    > Whilst all this is going on explorer.exe is using 25% of the the Cpu
    > power. The only way to stop this is to reboot. Is there any fix for
    > this problem. Thank you.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ken wrote:

    > Hi William,
    > I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I was just about to post an
    > almost identical problem that I'm having with my XP HE, so I will be
    > very interested if anyone can help the both of us.

    Ken, please do post a separate question. It isn't good to just hijack
    someone else's thread even if you think the problems are similar. It
    makes it very difficult to help both parties, and in this case William
    hasn't come back with the necessary information. While you're here,
    I'll give you all my general troubleshooting steps, but after you've
    done them please do post a new question, giving all necessary details
    including what you've done.

    For software issues - First check for malware, as follows (links follow
    step below):

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://auhma.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Then move on to general maintenance:

    1) Delete temporary and Temporary Internet Files.
    2) Stop unnecessary services/programs from starting with Windows - see
    www.blackviper.com for services info and
    www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm for programs info.
    3) Look in Event Viewer for clues.
    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.
    5) Run a firewall.

    For hardware issues -

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system - this isn't applicable to a laptop, of course.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a good local
    computer repair shop (not a CompUSA or Best Buy type of store).

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    By any chance do you have a Canon printer attached to the PC?

    If you do there is a small patch on Canon's website that may fix the
    problem. Same thing with mine and the patch fixed it instantly.

    Good luck

    PC

    wrreisen@yahoo.com (William.R.Reisen) wrote in message news:<c254b7f4.0502150900.3dfa67f3@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem that I'm using windows explorer then it freezes. It
    > doesn't let me do anything. I go to task manager try end task on the
    > application tab. It allows me to go through the process of clicking to
    > end the process but it doesn't end the process. I look at process tab
    > and again it lets me click to end the process but doesn't end the
    > process. This is on a dual Xeon workstation with hyperthreading.
    > Whilst all this is going on explorer.exe is using 25% of the the Cpu
    > power. The only way to stop this is to reboot. Is there any fix for
    > this problem. Thank you.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi,

    Thanks for your help. I've been through and used the Spybot and Adware
    removers as Malke said they did find some problems and fixed them. I
    have Avast antivirus running it did pick up something this morning.
    Hopefully this will have fixed things. I'll let you know if the
    explorer.exe problem recurs. Thanks again!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    William.R.Reisen wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I've been through and used the Spybot and Adware
    > removers as Malke said they did find some problems and fixed them. I
    > have Avast antivirus running it did pick up something this morning.
    > Hopefully this will have fixed things. I'll let you know if the
    > explorer.exe problem recurs. Thanks again!

    Hi, William! Thanks for coming back and letting us know you got things
    sorted. Stay safe!

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for you help again! I had another similar problem happen this
    morning. I was using remote desktop on my workstation to connect to
    another computer on a LAN. This other computer had its power cable
    accidentally pulled out. Winlogo.exe on my workstation had the same
    problem as explorer.exe in that it was at 25% cpu and couldn't be
    stopped in task manager. It was okay when restarted. This of course is
    probably not something evil I hope.

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help. I've been through and used the Spybot and Adware
    > > removers as Malke said they did find some problems and fixed them. I
    > > have Avast antivirus running it did pick up something this morning.
    > > Hopefully this will have fixed things. I'll let you know if the
    > > explorer.exe problem recurs. Thanks again!
    >
    > Hi, William! Thanks for coming back and letting us know you got things
    > sorted. Stay safe!
    >
    > Malke
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    William.R.Reisen wrote:

    > Thanks for you help again! I had another similar problem happen this
    > morning. I was using remote desktop on my workstation to connect to
    > another computer on a LAN. This other computer had its power cable
    > accidentally pulled out. Winlogo.exe on my workstation had the same
    > problem as explorer.exe in that it was at 25% cpu and couldn't be
    > stopped in task manager. It was okay when restarted. This of course is
    > probably not something evil I hope.

    As always, making sure your computer is 100% virus and spyware-free is a
    priority. However, in this case it does sound like the problem was
    caused by the sudden loss of power. Considering purchasing a ups
    (Uninterruptable Power Supply).

    Cheers,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks again.

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP