Holy Cow - EQLive

I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I uninstalled
the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in for
the first time in a month or so.

Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my entire
EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips come
and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time of
day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is valid.
And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may vary.

I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the bazaar
to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about two
weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
there were 289.

My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of day,
and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that was
holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
(including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't jot
down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had been
cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".

Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last time
I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.

Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive is
going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive open.
But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.

Crash

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:24:28 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

> I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I uninstalled
> the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in for
> the first time in a month or so.
>
> Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my entire
> EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips come
> and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time of
> day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is valid.
> And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may vary.
>
> I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
>
> Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the bazaar
> to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about two
> weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
> there were 289.
>
> My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of day,
> and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that was
> holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
> (including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't jot
> down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had been
> cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".
>
> Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last time
> I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.
>
> Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive is
> going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive open.
> But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.
>
> Crash

Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
after for a few days and see if this still holds true?
--
RJB
12/21/2004 10:25:42 AM

Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks!
And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.
--Homer Simpson

"RJB" wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:24:28 -0600, Crash86 wrote:
>
> > I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I
uninstalled
> > the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in
for
> > the first time in a month or so.
> >
> > Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my
entire
> > EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips
come
> > and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time
of
> > day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is
valid.
> > And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may
vary.

> > I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
> >
> > Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the
bazaar
> > to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about
two
> > weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
> > there were 289.
> >
> > My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of
day,
> > and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that
was
> > holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
> > (including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't
jot
> > down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had
been
> > cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".
> >
> > Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last
time
> > I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.
> >
> > Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive
is
> > going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive
open.
> > But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.
> >
> > Crash
>
> Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
> after for a few days and see if this still holds true?

I've seen holidays come and go. It really hasn't looked like this. These
numbers really surprised me. I expect there will be some returing after the
break, but I'm wondering if even those who have gone on to greener pastures
and found them not to be as green will actually return.

I'm beginning to wonder something else as well. I wonder if something about
SOE releasing a game called "EverQuest 2" has broken mez on the EQplayer in
some way. In a sense, taking away that safety net that was always there
when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I wonder if
now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other options,
and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even
console online play like Xbox Live a try.

In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to try
something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those games.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance a
game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd damn
well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.

Crash

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Crash86 wrote:
> [...]
> when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I wonder if
> now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other options,
> and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even
> console online play like Xbox Live a try.
>
> In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to try
> something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
> even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those games.
>
> Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
> anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
> concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance a
> game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd damn
> well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.

Although it's purely speculation I would not be surprised to see the
total number of EQLive subscriptions fall by about 50% over the coming
calendar year, perhaps even a bit more. Unlike times gone by there are
now a good variety of genuine competitors out there and given how time
consuming these games are most people are going to play no more than one
or perhaps two of them. And then there are some major releases on the
horizon as well such as D&D online and LoTR that Turbine is developing
although who knows when we might see them.

It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
EQLive is right now, wouldn't it? Without question there has been
something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
dramatic.

Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

"Michael" wrote:
> Crash86 wrote:
> > "RJB" wrote:

<snip original low numbers post>

> >>Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
> >>after for a few days and see if this still holds true?
> >

> > I've seen holidays come and go. It really hasn't looked like this.
These
> > numbers really surprised me. I expect there will be some returing after
the
> > break, but I'm wondering if even those who have gone on to greener
pastures
> > and found them not to be as green will actually return.
> >
> > I'm beginning to wonder something else as well. I wonder if something
about
> > SOE releasing a game called "EverQuest 2" has broken mez on the EQplayer
in
> > some way. In a sense, taking away that safety net that was always there
> > when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I
wonder if
> > now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other
options,
> > and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or
even
> > console online play like Xbox Live a try.
> >
> > In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to
try
> > something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
> > even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those
games.

> > Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
> > anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
> > concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance
> > game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd
damn
> > well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.
> >
> > Crash
> >

> Although it's purely speculation I would not be surprised to see the
> total number of EQLive subscriptions fall by about 50% over the coming
> calendar year, perhaps even a bit more. Unlike times gone by there are
> now a good variety of genuine competitors out there and given how time
> consuming these games are most people are going to play no more than one
> or perhaps two of them. And then there are some major releases on the
> horizon as well such as D&D online and LoTR that Turbine is developing
> although who knows when we might see them.

Not to mention the fact that there may be a lower number of new players
coming in to EQLive. If you're standing in front of a bunch of boxes at Wal
Mart and you know no better, will you pick up EQ Platinum or EQ2? My guess
would be EQ2 based solely on the belief that newer must be better.

> It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
> EQLive is right now, wouldn't it?

They did a wise thing in that regard including EQ2 in the All Access pass.
Sunscriptions may be holding steady, the actual online numbers are where the
rubber meets the road. Those numbers would be interesting to see. Too bad
they took the numbers away all those many moons ago.

> Without question there has been
> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
> Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
> it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
> still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
> day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
> dramatic.

CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
FV as well.

> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
> who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
> would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
> probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
> allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
> just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.

I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)

Crash

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

<snip>
> Not to mention the fact that there may be a lower number of new players
> coming in to EQLive. If you're standing in front of a bunch of boxes at Wal
> Mart and you know no better, will you pick up EQ Platinum or EQ2? My guess
> would be EQ2 based solely on the belief that newer must be better.
I'm sure new subscriptions are down for EQ1 now that EQ2 is out. Just
picking up the box a new subscriber will look at the screenshots and choose
EQ2 over 1 on the graphics alone. I'll presume they've read next to nothing
about either and it's my guess that is what would happen. Now the problem
is they are *completely different games*. About the only things they have
in common are the names and the lore.

>> It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
>> EQLive is right now, wouldn't it?
>
> They did a wise thing in that regard including EQ2 in the All Access pass.
> Sunscriptions may be holding steady, the actual online numbers are where the
> rubber meets the road. Those numbers would be interesting to see. Too bad
> they took the numbers away all those many moons ago.
I don't blame them. Whenever the numbers dipped the doomesayers would be
out in force. I'm sure they've netted a gain over *both* games regardless
of perceived EQ1 losses.

>> Without question there has been
>> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
>> Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
>> it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
>> still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
>> day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
>> dramatic.
>
> CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
> and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
> FV as well.
From what I've heard Stromm seems to be going pretty strong. I've heard
that the PVP servers are in the process now of considering how to merge
them. You can't really judge anything by this because the PVPs have always
had shallow numbers.

>> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
>> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
>> who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
>> would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
>> probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
>> allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
>> just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.
>
> I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
> meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
> I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
> daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)
As I said there's dialog right now about how to go about consolidating the
PVP servers but you can't really judge the whole of EQ by the PVPs. I'm
sure there will be mergers over the coming months. And that might not be a
bad thing. At the very least it will mean a gradual decline that the
current players can use. I see EQ being around at least for two more years
unless the accountants at SOE decide that they've milked that cow long
enough and pull the plug altogether. With all the bad publicity SOE has
gotten over the years I could see that scenario playing out - but I think
that may be the dumbest move they ever make.

--
RJB
12/21/2004 11:36:43 AM

"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
-Anon.

"RJB" wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

<snip>

> >> Without question there has been
> >> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
> >> Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart,
although
> >> it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
> >> still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
> >> day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
> >> dramatic.
> >
> > CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the
European
> > and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess.
Maybe
> > FV as well.
> From what I've heard Stromm seems to be going pretty strong. I've heard
> that the PVP servers are in the process now of considering how to merge
> them. You can't really judge anything by this because the PVPs have always
> had shallow numbers.

That's the reason I figured they'd be hurting, along with the Eurpoean
folks. Lower starting populations would be affected more dramatically. FV
may or may not fall into that category. I had a character on FV, but it
didn't get played much.

> >> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
> >> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
> >> who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
> >> would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they
could
> >> probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
> >> allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
> >> just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.
> >
> > I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
> > meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues.
But
> > I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
> > daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)
> As I said there's dialog right now about how to go about consolidating the
> PVP servers but you can't really judge the whole of EQ by the PVPs. I'm
> sure there will be mergers over the coming months. And that might not be a
> bad thing. At the very least it will mean a gradual decline that the
> current players can use. I see EQ being around at least for two more years
> unless the accountants at SOE decide that they've milked that cow long
> enough and pull the plug altogether. With all the bad publicity SOE has
> gotten over the years I could see that scenario playing out - but I think
> that may be the dumbest move they ever make.

The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive gets
the axe, IMO. Server mergers have a larger chance of happening, but I might
start with allowing free transfers before invoking all of the logistics that
will have to be considered to successfully merge two servers. But that's
just me ... I readily admit to being conservative in my management style.
;-)

Crash

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
> for them. I wonder if now that folks are somehow more willing to see
> that there are other options, and if they'll be more likely to give
> things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even console online play like Xbox
> Live a try.
>
> In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready
> to try something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for
> EQ2 or WoW, even if those folks decide at some point that they don't
> like those games.
>
> Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going
> anywhere anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do
> something to concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though.
> When you balance a game with the effect of hamstringing classes to
> force grouping, you'd damn well better make sure there are enough

I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.

I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
afford to get a buff.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004

"D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
> ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
>
> I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
> weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
> refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
> temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
> rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
> will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
> afford to get a buff.
>
> JimP.
> --
> http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
> http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
> http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
> http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.

Rom

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message

> The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive gets
> the axe, IMO.

SW:G is owned by Lucasarts and just run by SOE, though.

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

"Simond" wrote:

> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> > The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive
gets
> > the axe, IMO.
>
> SW:G is owned by Lucasarts and just run by SOE, though.

Good point. I stand corrected. It would have to be Lucas' beancounters to
make the decision to kill SWG.

Crash

"Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message

> It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
> EQLive is right now, wouldn't it? Without question there has been
> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much?

If you had been watching the LDoN rankings with a character that had
never done a LDoN, you could get a rough gauge of how many have cancelled
(cancelled characters are removed from the rankings). My ENC has gone from
10800th to 8250th - about a 25% cancellation rate on my server.

> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?

The two team Zeks are already talking about it. No idea if it'll go
through, as there's a fair number of players opposed. It's degenerating into
a cross-team versus pure-team debate. The Legends server looks to be heading
for disaster first, now that the top guilds there have pretty much all left
for other servers.

> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers who's
> populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell would they
> want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could probably go
> down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less.

Appearances. If you consolidate before the players request it, it looks
like EQ is a sinking ship. It is, but if you make it look bad then there'll
be a stampede for the lifeboats rather than a slow, orderly move.

James

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> The two team Zeks are already talking about it. No idea if it'll go
> through, as there's a fair number of players opposed. It's degenerating
> into a cross-team versus pure-team debate.

Thats a complete joke. Pure-team vs Cross-Team was never a major concern on
Vallon ( and from what I heard Tallon ). Besides, any hard core pure-teamers
left have been left way behind in progression ( Elf team for exmple simply
cannot progress as far on thier own as other teams, especially the dark
team ).

Where have you been seeing this ? Id be intereseted in reading the
conversation myself.

Viarra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Storm Warden
Kyrdra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Overlord
Liatras Drakar <Northstar Legions> 57 1/2 Elf Ranger
Tabifa Duchat <Northstar Legions> 53 Vah Shir Beastlord
Marianyax Moulee <Northstar Legions> 68 High Elf Coercer
Zarris <Northstar Legions> 26 Dark Elf Necromancer

All now on Torvon

"Rom Gin" <romulator@adelphia.net> wrote:
] Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
] 8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.

I have no idea. But I know that until fairly recently free buffs
were available. I donate when I can.

JimP.
--

D.J. wrote:
> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
> ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
>
> I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
> weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
> refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
> temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
> rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
> will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
> afford to get a buff.
>
> JimP.

For the year I've been playing EQ on Stromm 20p has always been the
standard "donation" for temp. Although when the need for dots ended I
was expecting it should drop to 10p. Although I think for the most part
it didn't. Being a cleric myself it didn't matter to me. Unless I am
pretty broke I usually buff people for free and refuse donations.
Although I don't stand around in PoK doing it. Once in a while I like to
go to CB and buff the lowbies there for free and make thier day. That's
fun. However, if money's tight I am thankful for whatever amount
somebody wants to give me.

In any case Jim, add Lyolas to your friends list and send a tell when
you need a temp and I will take care of you at no cost. The only catch
is you'll need to come to me for it.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
] For the year I've been playing EQ on Stromm 20p has always been the
] standard "donation" for temp. Although when the need for dots ended I

okay. But only recently have I seen such a request on Stromm in the
6 months I've been playing EQ.

] pretty broke I usually buff people for free and refuse donations.

I sometimes get the transaction cancelled, and they cast temp
anyway. Its only this week that I got the sarcastic response and no
temp. Maybe its become a caster's market due the drop in buffers ?

I did get temp from another player later that same day. Same plat
offer, as that was all I had, and it was accepted.

] Although I don't stand around in PoK doing it. Once in a while I like to
] go to CB and buff the lowbies there for free and make thier day. That's

I've gotten surprise buffs in the middle of melee. But I haven't
been going to crushbone.

] you need a temp and I will take care of you at no cost. The only catch
] is you'll need to come to me for it.

All the 12th warrior has is some newbie armor gear... but okay.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <9a6hs01veoclulf29ut07j7p64037ukuf9@4ax.com>, jolly73
@boingcableone.net says...

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
> ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
>
> I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
> weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
> refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
> temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
> rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
> will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
> afford to get a buff.

Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!

It can be done!

There is really no reason to be paying for buffs at your level,
especially if you can't really afford them!!

Granted you've got a warrior... which is a terrible class to solo...and
I'd suggest focussing your efforts on another character, especially
through the holidays.

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
] Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!

Yeah. Lets see. I could go attack one monster that is blue to my
'toon. Win. And hope no other monster shows up. While I wait for my
hit points to slowly climb back up. Or go into a town and wait and
wait. Then go back out and attack another monster. Over and over.

Or, with a temp, I can go out and attack several monsters over a
period of an hour, and feel like I've accomplished something.

I would rather have a temp.

] There is really no reason to be paying for buffs at your level,
] especially if you can't really afford them!!

I agree, but free buffs are rare these days.

] Granted you've got a warrior... which is a terrible class to solo...and
] I'd suggest focussing your efforts on another character, especially
] through the holidays.

I'll think about it. But I don't have hours at a time to play
online. A temp helps me actually adventure in the short amount of
time I can play. That makes it more interesting than my spending
more time waiting for me 'toon to regain hp than I do now.

JimP.
--

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
] Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!
]
] It can be done!

I started out having no buffs at all. The few times I had gone
through pok at that point, I saw the /ooc requests, but ignored
them.

But I got tired of gaming and spending most of the 20-30 minute
sessions I have time for during the week, waiting for my 'toon's hp
to go back up to 100 percent.

So I saw mentions of temp on web sites. Then I started using it
after gaming for about 2 months. December is my 6th month gaming in
EQ1.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

"D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
> ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
>
> I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
> weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
> refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
> temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
> rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
> will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
> afford to get a buff.

Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
game... I present exhibit A.

You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
] game... I present exhibit A.
]
] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
character sit.

JimP.
--

Davian wrote:
> "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
>
>>Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
>>] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
>>
>>I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
>>weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
>>refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
>>temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
>>rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
>>will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
>>afford to get a buff.
>>

> Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
> game... I present exhibit A.
>
> You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

No you don't. But it's fun to have all those extra hitpoints and less
downtime because of them.

--

D.J. wrote:
> "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
> ] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
> ] game... I present exhibit A.
> ]
> ] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.
>
> Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
> limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
> speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
> character sit.
>
> JimP.

You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
toon in the bazaar selling them along with pet toys, etc. And I think
they usually run around 5 or 10p for one. The nice thing about these is
they are not going to run out like temp during your playtime. Of course,
even better would be to grab one of these and then get a temp too. Uber!
Hehe...

One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
something like that. Maybe somebody else here can clarify what I am
talking about as I can't remember for sure myself.

--
Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
] You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
] think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
] only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage

Now thats what I was told was good about the EQ community. There are
people who are willing to help, and don't do the put downs as a
first response.

] One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
] you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or

The only info I can find is who can cast it.

JimP.