Holy Cow - EQLive

I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I uninstalled
the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in for
the first time in a month or so.

Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my entire
EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips come
and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time of
day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is valid.
And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may vary.

I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the bazaar
to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about two
weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
there were 289.

My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of day,
and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that was
holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
(including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't jot
down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had been
cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".

Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last time
I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.

Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive is
going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive open.
But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.

Crash
221 answers Last reply
More about holy eqlive

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:24:28 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

    > I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I uninstalled
    > the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in for
    > the first time in a month or so.
    >
    > Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my entire
    > EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips come
    > and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time of
    > day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is valid.
    > And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may vary.
    >
    > I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
    >
    > Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the bazaar
    > to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about two
    > weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
    > there were 289.
    >
    > My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of day,
    > and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that was
    > holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
    > (including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't jot
    > down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had been
    > cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".
    >
    > Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last time
    > I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.
    >
    > Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive is
    > going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive open.
    > But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.
    >
    > Crash

    Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
    after for a few days and see if this still holds true?
    --
    RJB
    12/21/2004 10:25:42 AM

    Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks!
    And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.
    --Homer Simpson

    "RJB" wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:24:28 -0600, Crash86 wrote:
    >
    > > I had heard that EQLive's numbers were a bit off. So before I
    uninstalled
    > > the client I thought I'd check for myself. So I patched and logged in
    for
    > > the first time in a month or so.
    > >
    > > Let me preface this by saying I've played primarily on Cazic Thule my
    entire
    > > EQ career, which dates back to March of 2001. I've seen holiday dips
    come
    > > and go. I've seen new MMO games come and go. I checked during the time
    of
    > > day (mornings) that I normally played EQ, so my frame of reference is
    valid.
    > > And as a last caveat, this is just for CT. Your server's mileage may
    vary.

    > > I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.
    > >
    > > Typically, you had to play Whack-A-Mole with the trader button in the
    bazaar
    > > to get a slot, even at 550. The last time I checked, which was about
    two
    > > weeks after EQ2/WoW went live, there were just over 400 traders. Today
    > > there were 289.
    > >
    > > My guild typically had around a dozen or so players online this time of
    day,
    > > and over 900 listed in the guild tool. The last time I checked, that
    was
    > > holding steady, more or less. Today there were three members online
    > > (including me), and the total in the guild tool was around 650 (I didn't
    jot
    > > down the exact number). Our raid schedule had one Fear raid (which had
    been
    > > cancelled) and two for "Target of Opportunity".
    > >
    > > Typically there were about 90 - 100 in the PoK this time of day. Last
    time
    > > I checked there were about 70. Today there were 38.
    > >
    > > Now, I'm not doing the Chicken Little thing. I don't think that EQLive
    is
    > > going anywhere. If they'll keep PlanetSide open, they'll keep EQLive
    open.
    > > But I was kind of shocked at the actual numbers I found.
    > >
    > > Crash
    >
    > Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
    > after for a few days and see if this still holds true?

    I've seen holidays come and go. It really hasn't looked like this. These
    numbers really surprised me. I expect there will be some returing after the
    break, but I'm wondering if even those who have gone on to greener pastures
    and found them not to be as green will actually return.

    I'm beginning to wonder something else as well. I wonder if something about
    SOE releasing a game called "EverQuest 2" has broken mez on the EQplayer in
    some way. In a sense, taking away that safety net that was always there
    when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I wonder if
    now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other options,
    and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even
    console online play like Xbox Live a try.

    In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to try
    something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
    even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those games.

    Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
    anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
    concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance a
    game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd damn
    well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.

    Crash

    Crash86 wrote:
> [...]
    > when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I wonder if
    > now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other options,
    > and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even
    > console online play like Xbox Live a try.
    >
    > In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to try
    > something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
    > even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those games.
    >
    > Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
    > anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
    > concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance a
    > game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd damn
    > well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.

    Although it's purely speculation I would not be surprised to see the
    total number of EQLive subscriptions fall by about 50% over the coming
    calendar year, perhaps even a bit more. Unlike times gone by there are
    now a good variety of genuine competitors out there and given how time
    consuming these games are most people are going to play no more than one
    or perhaps two of them. And then there are some major releases on the
    horizon as well such as D&D online and LoTR that Turbine is developing
    although who knows when we might see them.

    It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
    EQLive is right now, wouldn't it? Without question there has been
    something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
    Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
    it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
    still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
    day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
    dramatic.

    Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
    You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
    who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
    would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
    probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
    allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
    just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    "Michael" wrote:
    > Crash86 wrote:
    > > "RJB" wrote:

    <snip original low numbers post>

    > >>Could be people getting ready for Christmas? Try sampling it before and
    > >>after for a few days and see if this still holds true?
    > >

    > > I've seen holidays come and go. It really hasn't looked like this.
    These
    > > numbers really surprised me. I expect there will be some returing after
    the
    > > break, but I'm wondering if even those who have gone on to greener
    pastures
    > > and found them not to be as green will actually return.
    > >
    > > I'm beginning to wonder something else as well. I wonder if something
    about
    > > SOE releasing a game called "EverQuest 2" has broken mez on the EQplayer
    in
    > > some way. In a sense, taking away that safety net that was always there
    > > when they tried things like CoH and decided it wasn't for them. I
    wonder if
    > > now that folks are somehow more willing to see that there are other
    options,
    > > and if they'll be more likely to give things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or
    even
    > > console online play like Xbox Live a try.
    > >
    > > In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready to
    try
    > > something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for EQ2 or WoW,
    > > even if those folks decide at some point that they don't like those
    games.

    > > Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going anywhere
    > > anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do something to
    > > concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though. When you balance
    > > game with the effect of hamstringing classes to force grouping, you'd
    damn
    > > well better make sure there are enough players around to group with.
    > >
    > > Crash
    > >

    > Although it's purely speculation I would not be surprised to see the
    > total number of EQLive subscriptions fall by about 50% over the coming
    > calendar year, perhaps even a bit more. Unlike times gone by there are
    > now a good variety of genuine competitors out there and given how time
    > consuming these games are most people are going to play no more than one
    > or perhaps two of them. And then there are some major releases on the
    > horizon as well such as D&D online and LoTR that Turbine is developing
    > although who knows when we might see them.

    Not to mention the fact that there may be a lower number of new players
    coming in to EQLive. If you're standing in front of a bunch of boxes at Wal
    Mart and you know no better, will you pick up EQ Platinum or EQ2? My guess
    would be EQ2 based solely on the belief that newer must be better.

    > It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
    > EQLive is right now, wouldn't it?

    They did a wise thing in that regard including EQ2 in the All Access pass.
    Sunscriptions may be holding steady, the actual online numbers are where the
    rubber meets the road. Those numbers would be interesting to see. Too bad
    they took the numbers away all those many moons ago.

    > Without question there has been
    > something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
    > Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
    > it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
    > still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
    > day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
    > dramatic.

    CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
    and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
    FV as well.

    > Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
    > You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
    > who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
    > would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
    > probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
    > allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
    > just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.

    I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
    meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
    I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
    daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)

    Crash

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

    <snip>
    > Not to mention the fact that there may be a lower number of new players
    > coming in to EQLive. If you're standing in front of a bunch of boxes at Wal
    > Mart and you know no better, will you pick up EQ Platinum or EQ2? My guess
    > would be EQ2 based solely on the belief that newer must be better.
    I'm sure new subscriptions are down for EQ1 now that EQ2 is out. Just
    picking up the box a new subscriber will look at the screenshots and choose
    EQ2 over 1 on the graphics alone. I'll presume they've read next to nothing
    about either and it's my guess that is what would happen. Now the problem
    is they are *completely different games*. About the only things they have
    in common are the names and the lore.

    >> It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
    >> EQLive is right now, wouldn't it?
    >
    > They did a wise thing in that regard including EQ2 in the All Access pass.
    > Sunscriptions may be holding steady, the actual online numbers are where the
    > rubber meets the road. Those numbers would be interesting to see. Too bad
    > they took the numbers away all those many moons ago.
    I don't blame them. Whenever the numbers dipped the doomesayers would be
    out in force. I'm sure they've netted a gain over *both* games regardless
    of perceived EQ1 losses.

    >> Without question there has been
    >> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
    >> Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart, although
    >> it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
    >> still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
    >> day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
    >> dramatic.
    >
    > CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
    > and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
    > FV as well.
    From what I've heard Stromm seems to be going pretty strong. I've heard
    that the PVP servers are in the process now of considering how to merge
    them. You can't really judge anything by this because the PVPs have always
    had shallow numbers.

    >> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
    >> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
    >> who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
    >> would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could
    >> probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
    >> allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
    >> just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.
    >
    > I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
    > meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
    > I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
    > daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)
    As I said there's dialog right now about how to go about consolidating the
    PVP servers but you can't really judge the whole of EQ by the PVPs. I'm
    sure there will be mergers over the coming months. And that might not be a
    bad thing. At the very least it will mean a gradual decline that the
    current players can use. I see EQ being around at least for two more years
    unless the accountants at SOE decide that they've milked that cow long
    enough and pull the plug altogether. With all the bad publicity SOE has
    gotten over the years I could see that scenario playing out - but I think
    that may be the dumbest move they ever make.

    --
    RJB
    12/21/2004 11:36:43 AM

    "What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
    -Anon.

    "RJB" wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, Crash86 wrote:

    <snip>

    > >> Without question there has been
    > >> something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much? Even
    > >> Stromm has been affected with many weaker guilds falling apart,
    although
    > >> it really hasn't seemed all that noticeable to me in terms of there
    > >> still be lots of people around wherever I go at all times of night and
    > >> day. I imagine the impact on older servers though has been a lot more
    > >> dramatic.
    > >
    > > CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the
    European
    > > and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess.
    Maybe
    > > FV as well.
    > From what I've heard Stromm seems to be going pretty strong. I've heard
    > that the PVP servers are in the process now of considering how to merge
    > them. You can't really judge anything by this because the PVPs have always
    > had shallow numbers.

    That's the reason I figured they'd be hurting, along with the Eurpoean
    folks. Lower starting populations would be affected more dramatically. FV
    may or may not fall into that category. I had a character on FV, but it
    didn't get played much.

    > >> Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?
    > >> You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers
    > >> who's populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell
    > >> would they want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they
    could
    > >> probably go down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less. If they
    > >> allow the numbers to dwindle in some of the worlds for too long they'll
    > >> just lose those people to other games most likely I would think.
    > >
    > > I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
    > > meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues.
    But
    > > I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
    > > daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)
    > As I said there's dialog right now about how to go about consolidating the
    > PVP servers but you can't really judge the whole of EQ by the PVPs. I'm
    > sure there will be mergers over the coming months. And that might not be a
    > bad thing. At the very least it will mean a gradual decline that the
    > current players can use. I see EQ being around at least for two more years
    > unless the accountants at SOE decide that they've milked that cow long
    > enough and pull the plug altogether. With all the bad publicity SOE has
    > gotten over the years I could see that scenario playing out - but I think
    > that may be the dumbest move they ever make.

    The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive gets
    the axe, IMO. Server mergers have a larger chance of happening, but I might
    start with allowing free transfers before invoking all of the logistics that
    will have to be considered to successfully merge two servers. But that's
    just me ... I readily admit to being conservative in my management style.
    ;-)

    Crash

    "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
    > for them. I wonder if now that folks are somehow more willing to see
    > that there are other options, and if they'll be more likely to give
    > things like AO, Saga of Ryzom, or even console online play like Xbox
    > Live a try.
    >
    > In short, I wonder if EQLive has become a "That was a fun run, ready
    > to try something else" sort of phenomenon for those who left it for
    > EQ2 or WoW, even if those folks decide at some point that they don't
    > like those games.
    >
    > Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really thing EQLive is going
    > anywhere anytime soon. If these numbers hold they may need to do
    > something to concentrate users in the next 12 months or so, though.
    > When you balance a game with the effect of hamstringing classes to
    > force grouping, you'd damn well better make sure there are enough

    I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 16 Scholar

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.

    I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    afford to get a buff.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004

    "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message

    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    > ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
    >
    > I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    > weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    > refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    > temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    > rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    > will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    > afford to get a buff.
    >
    > JimP.
    > --
    > http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    > http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
    > http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
    > http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

    Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
    8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.

    Rom

    "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message

    > The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive gets
    > the axe, IMO.

    SW:G is owned by Lucasarts and just run by SOE, though.

    --
    Simond
    "I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

    "Simond" wrote:

    > "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > > The bean counters will deep-six PlanteSide and SWG long before EQLive
    gets
    > > the axe, IMO.
    >
    > SW:G is owned by Lucasarts and just run by SOE, though.

    Good point. I stand corrected. It would have to be Lucas' beancounters to
    make the decision to kill SWG.

    Crash

    "Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
    > EQLive is right now, wouldn't it? Without question there has been
    > something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much?

    If you had been watching the LDoN rankings with a character that had
    never done a LDoN, you could get a rough gauge of how many have cancelled
    (cancelled characters are removed from the rankings). My ENC has gone from
    10800th to 8250th - about a 25% cancellation rate on my server.

    > Has anyone heard anything about server consolidations for EQLive yet?

    The two team Zeks are already talking about it. No idea if it'll go
    through, as there's a fair number of players opposed. It's degenerating into
    a cross-team versus pure-team debate. The Legends server looks to be heading
    for disaster first, now that the top guilds there have pretty much all left
    for other servers.

    > You'd think they would do something sometime soon for those servers who's
    > populations have fallen significantly over time. Why the hell would they
    > want to continue to run some 50 of them or so when they could probably go
    > down to say 35 right now perhaps or maybe less.

    Appearances. If you consolidate before the players request it, it looks
    like EQ is a sinking ship. It is, but if you make it look bad then there'll
    be a stampede for the lifeboats rather than a slow, orderly move.

    James

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > The two team Zeks are already talking about it. No idea if it'll go
    > through, as there's a fair number of players opposed. It's degenerating
    > into a cross-team versus pure-team debate.

    Thats a complete joke. Pure-team vs Cross-Team was never a major concern on
    Vallon ( and from what I heard Tallon ). Besides, any hard core pure-teamers
    left have been left way behind in progression ( Elf team for exmple simply
    cannot progress as far on thier own as other teams, especially the dark
    team ).

    Where have you been seeing this ? Id be intereseted in reading the
    conversation myself.

    Viarra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Storm Warden
    Kyrdra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Overlord
    Liatras Drakar <Northstar Legions> 57 1/2 Elf Ranger
    Tabifa Duchat <Northstar Legions> 53 Vah Shir Beastlord
    Marianyax Moulee <Northstar Legions> 68 High Elf Coercer
    Zarris <Northstar Legions> 26 Dark Elf Necromancer

    All now on Torvon

    "Rom Gin" <romulator@adelphia.net> wrote:
    ] Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
    ] 8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.

    I have no idea. But I know that until fairly recently free buffs
    were available. I donate when I can.

    JimP.
    --

    D.J. wrote:
    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    > ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
    >
    > I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    > weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    > refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    > temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    > rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    > will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    > afford to get a buff.
    >
    > JimP.

    For the year I've been playing EQ on Stromm 20p has always been the
    standard "donation" for temp. Although when the need for dots ended I
    was expecting it should drop to 10p. Although I think for the most part
    it didn't. Being a cleric myself it didn't matter to me. Unless I am
    pretty broke I usually buff people for free and refuse donations.
    Although I don't stand around in PoK doing it. Once in a while I like to
    go to CB and buff the lowbies there for free and make thier day. That's
    fun. However, if money's tight I am thankful for whatever amount
    somebody wants to give me.

    In any case Jim, add Lyolas to your friends list and send a tell when
    you need a temp and I will take care of you at no cost. The only catch
    is you'll need to come to me for it.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    ] For the year I've been playing EQ on Stromm 20p has always been the
    ] standard "donation" for temp. Although when the need for dots ended I

    okay. But only recently have I seen such a request on Stromm in the
    6 months I've been playing EQ.

    ] pretty broke I usually buff people for free and refuse donations.

    I sometimes get the transaction cancelled, and they cast temp
    anyway. Its only this week that I got the sarcastic response and no
    temp. Maybe its become a caster's market due the drop in buffers ?

    I did get temp from another player later that same day. Same plat
    offer, as that was all I had, and it was accepted.

    ] Although I don't stand around in PoK doing it. Once in a while I like to
    ] go to CB and buff the lowbies there for free and make thier day. That's

    I've gotten surprise buffs in the middle of melee. But I haven't
    been going to crushbone.

    ] you need a temp and I will take care of you at no cost. The only catch
    ] is you'll need to come to me for it.

    All the 12th warrior has is some newbie armor gear... but okay.

    JimP.
    --

    In article <9a6hs01veoclulf29ut07j7p64037ukuf9@4ax.com>, jolly73
    @boingcableone.net says...

    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    > ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
    >
    > I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    > weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    > refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    > temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    > rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    > will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    > afford to get a buff.

    Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!

    It can be done!

    There is really no reason to be paying for buffs at your level,
    especially if you can't really afford them!!

    Granted you've got a warrior... which is a terrible class to solo...and
    I'd suggest focussing your efforts on another character, especially
    through the holidays.

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    ] Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!

    Yeah. Lets see. I could go attack one monster that is blue to my
    'toon. Win. And hope no other monster shows up. While I wait for my
    hit points to slowly climb back up. Or go into a town and wait and
    wait. Then go back out and attack another monster. Over and over.

    Or, with a temp, I can go out and attack several monsters over a
    period of an hour, and feel like I've accomplished something.

    I would rather have a temp.

    ] There is really no reason to be paying for buffs at your level,
    ] especially if you can't really afford them!!

    I agree, but free buffs are rare these days.

    ] Granted you've got a warrior... which is a terrible class to solo...and
    ] I'd suggest focussing your efforts on another character, especially
    ] through the holidays.

    I'll think about it. But I don't have hours at a time to play
    online. A temp helps me actually adventure in the short amount of
    time I can play. That makes it more interesting than my spending
    more time waiting for me 'toon to regain hp than I do now.

    JimP.
    --

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    ] Or maybe just maybe you could learn to play without a temp!
    ]
    ] It can be done!

    I started out having no buffs at all. The few times I had gone
    through pok at that point, I saw the /ooc requests, but ignored
    them.

    But I got tired of gaming and spending most of the 20-30 minute
    sessions I have time for during the week, waiting for my 'toon's hp
    to go back up to 100 percent.

    So I saw mentions of temp on web sites. Then I started using it
    after gaming for about 2 months. December is my 6th month gaming in
    EQ1.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
    http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

    "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message

    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > ] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    > ] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
    >
    > I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    > weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    > refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    > temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    > rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    > will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    > afford to get a buff.

    Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
    game... I present exhibit A.

    You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

    "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    ] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
    ] game... I present exhibit A.
    ]
    ] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

    Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    character sit.

    JimP.
    --

    Davian wrote:
    > "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>] I have not checked numbers, but, it has been harder to find groups both
    >>] in guild and out since EQ2 and WoW came out.
    >>
    >>I have noticed a serious drop in free buffs in pok the past two
    >>weeks. One guy was insulted I only had 2 plat for a temp buff and
    >>refused to give it. I found someone else later on who would buff
    >>temp for 2 plat. Most want 10-20 plat to cast a temp. My 'toons
    >>rarely have 5 plat all at the same time. I guess my 12th warrior
    >>will have to farm wandering greenbloods so my lower level toons can
    >>afford to get a buff.
    >>

    > Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
    > game... I present exhibit A.
    >
    > You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.

    No you don't. But it's fun to have all those extra hitpoints and less
    downtime because of them.

    --

    D.J. wrote:
    > "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    > ] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
    > ] game... I present exhibit A.
    > ]
    > ] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.
    >
    > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    > character sit.
    >
    > JimP.

    You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    toon in the bazaar selling them along with pet toys, etc. And I think
    they usually run around 5 or 10p for one. The nice thing about these is
    they are not going to run out like temp during your playtime. Of course,
    even better would be to grab one of these and then get a temp too. Uber!
    Hehe...

    One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    something like that. Maybe somebody else here can clarify what I am
    talking about as I can't remember for sure myself.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    ] You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    ] think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    ] only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage

    Now thats what I was told was good about the EQ community. There are
    people who are willing to help, and don't do the put downs as a
    first response.

    ] One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    ] you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or

    The only info I can find is who can cast it.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
    http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    > "Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It would be so interesting to see what the number of subscriptions for
    > > EQLive is right now, wouldn't it? Without question there has been
    > > something of an exodus for other games. I just wonder how much?
    >
    > If you had been watching the LDoN rankings with a character that had
    > never done a LDoN, you could get a rough gauge of how many have cancelled
    > (cancelled characters are removed from the rankings). My ENC has gone from
    > 10800th to 8250th - about a 25% cancellation rate on my server.

    That doesn't even count people like me. I still have my EQ1 account, since I
    have the All Access pass... but actually logging into the game is extremely
    rare, and usually only to talk to someone for a minute or two.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
    Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, "Crash86" wrote:

    > CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
    > and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
    > FV as well.

    European servers (well AB anyway) appear to be suffering less. I
    certainly haven't seen the dramatic reduction in numbers others have
    mentioned. IMHO this is because WoW hasn't been released here yet.

    > I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
    > meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
    > I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
    > daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)

    Apparently there are plans to consolidate the PVP servers, but that has
    been in progress for some time.

    You have to remember that the biggest overhead is bandwidth, and that
    is based on number of players and stays the same however many servers
    there are. Second to that is probably CS, which again is pretty much
    dependant on players, not servers. The actual cost/value of the hardware
    has already been paid for, so it doesn't come up on anybody's monthly
    figures.

    The only big issue as far as I can see is balancing up losing people
    because of empty servers against losing people because they perceive EQ
    as a 'dyeing' game.

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:24:28 -0600 in <umXxd.33966$7g.23853@fe05.lga>,
    "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

    >I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

    bad?
    What's kind of amusing is that several months back, people bitched
    because it was so crowded. Now the numbers fall off, and it's <bad>.

    In article <ijdhs0lvqg941i3hi37k0j92v9soqgr1t3@4ax.com>,
    g.beldon@virgin.net says...
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:26 -0600, "Crash86" wrote:
    >
    > > CT is one of the original servers, I believe. My guess is that the European
    > > and PvP servers are hurting more than CT is, but that's just a guess. Maybe
    > > FV as well.
    >
    > European servers (well AB anyway) appear to be suffering less. I
    > certainly haven't seen the dramatic reduction in numbers others have
    > mentioned. IMHO this is because WoW hasn't been released here yet.
    >

    > > I haven't really been paying too much attention to it. If I were in the
    > > meeting room, I'd say wait until summer unless the decline continues. But
    > > I'm not privy to the actual numbers that someone in management sees on a
    > > daily basis. If I were, that might change my opinion. ;-)
    >
    > Apparently there are plans to consolidate the PVP servers, but that has
    > been in progress for some time.
    >
    > You have to remember that the biggest overhead is bandwidth, and that
    > is based on number of players and stays the same however many servers
    > there are. Second to that is probably CS, which again is pretty much
    > dependant on players, not servers. The actual cost/value of the hardware
    > has already been paid for, so it doesn't come up on anybody's monthly
    > figures.

    That's highly speculative. Server hardware needs to be maintained and
    replaced. Its not unthinkable that SOE is leasing as well, and possibly
    on annual subscriptions to database licensing...

    Whether leasing hardware and subscribing to database licenses is smart
    is a separate debate. I wouldn't be surprised if EQ was doing it.

    > The only big issue as far as I can see is balancing up losing people
    > because of empty servers against losing people because they perceive EQ
    > as a 'dyeing' game.

    Probably do them the most good to call a spade a spade. Announce EQ is
    dead as far as continuing development, and sell it to another company to
    manage the servers for as long as it can make a profit at it, and
    collect licensing as a percent of the management companies revenue or
    something.

    D.J. wrote:
    > Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    > ] For the year I've been playing EQ on Stromm 20p has always been the
    > ] standard "donation" for temp. Although when the need for dots ended I
    >
    > okay. But only recently have I seen such a request on Stromm in the
    > 6 months I've been playing EQ.
    >
    > ] pretty broke I usually buff people for free and refuse donations.
    >
    > I sometimes get the transaction cancelled, and they cast temp
    > anyway. Its only this week that I got the sarcastic response and no
    > temp. Maybe its become a caster's market due the drop in buffers ?
    >
    > I did get temp from another player later that same day. Same plat
    > offer, as that was all I had, and it was accepted.
    >
    > ] Although I don't stand around in PoK doing it. Once in a while I like to
    > ] go to CB and buff the lowbies there for free and make thier day. That's
    >
    > I've gotten surprise buffs in the middle of melee. But I haven't
    > been going to crushbone.
    >
    > ] you need a temp and I will take care of you at no cost. The only catch
    > ] is you'll need to come to me for it.
    >
    > All the 12th warrior has is some newbie armor gear... but okay.
    >
    > JimP.

    Well I mean I'll do what I can for you. If I'm in a group at Wall of
    Slaughter or something we're out of luck as you couldn't get there and I
    couldn't leave. But when I'm free or not too far off or somewhere you
    could safely get to, I'd be happy to buff you up.

    And I wouldn't let one mean player rain on your parade. I don't know why
    any cleric would act like that. After all, you get into that class
    hopefully because you like helping people out, you know? Fortunately, at
    least in my experience, people like that are the exception and not the rule.

    On another note though, while I don't care personally about making plat
    for buffs the fact is that those who stand around in PoK buffing are
    doing so to raise money for whatever reasons typically and for the most
    part donations for this time spent are expected by them. So I wouldn't
    expect free buffs in PoK all or even a lot of the time. I'd expect to
    pay the going rate and when I didn't have it ask someone if they'd be
    kind enough to buff you as you are a low level toon and broke. I don't
    think many would turn you down.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that is isn't really fair to have an
    expectation that there are free buffs in PoK ever. I mean when it
    happens or somebody doesn't mind, great. But people who give their time
    to buff others and had to earn or buy the spells to do so do deserve
    some compensation for their efforts in my opinion.

    I'll give you a case in point. Clerics have to do a pain in the neck
    quest and camp a certain mob sometimes for hours to get temp. It's a
    fair amount of work to get it. And the only reason clerics go to this
    trouble is so they can provide their groups with this buff primarily. It
    doesn't exactly afford them some fabulous benefit other than being able
    to temp themselves when they like. And even at 20p a cast in PoK you've
    got to spend a lot of time standing around casting then sitting medding,
    etc. to make any money. So when these guys buff you they kind of have
    that donation coming. Again, that's just my opinion for what it's worth
    but I think it's probably one shared by many players.

    I always give Enchanters 50p for casting KEI on me. It's nice of them to
    hang out in PoK making that very helpful buff available and I appreciate
    them doing it. But talk is cheap so I make sure I fork over the 50p. :-)

    In another example, unless they get lucky on drops and are patient, the
    typical Cleric probably forks over some 2500p for Virtue and around 10k
    for HoV in the bazaar. And what does the cleric get out of HoV? Well not
    much really considering they could Virtue themselves for free anytime.
    But it's part of being a cleric to buff people for battle and so of
    course every cleric cannot wait to get spells such as these and many do
    pay these high prices for them or put in a lot of time going for the
    drops and random quest turn ins to get them.

    I guess what I am trying to say is players who buff put a lot of effort
    and or money into obtaining these buff spells and then they spend their
    own valuable time hanging around in PoK buffing people. Given that, it
    is very reasonable and I think proper to offer them a decent donation
    every time. I don't think it's a good idea to make a habit of seeking
    buffs for free. If you want the buffs regularly, then you should find a
    means to raise the plat to pay for them unless somebody offers it you
    free or refuses a donation.

    I can see asking a favor of someone once in a while, in a pinch. I just
    don't think it's good to make a habit of it and it sounds like you found
    yourself surprised one day that you couldn't land free buffs. It sounded
    to me like you expected to be able to. I don't really know why you'd
    expect that.

    Anyway, once again, if I'm around or someplace you don't mind running
    to, I'll be glad to take care of you and I don't want anything for it.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    ] Well I mean I'll do what I can for you. If I'm in a group at Wall of
    ] Slaughter or something we're out of luck as you couldn't get there and I
    ] couldn't leave. But when I'm free or not too far off or somewhere you
    ] could safely get to, I'd be happy to buff you up.

    I understood, but implied rather than said it. My toons haven't much
    magical gear. So me traveling to many of the zones wouldn't work.
    Thats why I mentioned my highest level character has only newbie
    quest armor.

    ] any cleric would act like that. After all, you get into that class
    ] hopefully because you like helping people out, you know? Fortunately, at
    ] least in my experience, people like that are the exception and not the rule.

    I agree.

    ] On another note though, while I don't care personally about making plat
    ] for buffs the fact is that those who stand around in PoK buffing are
    ] doing so to raise money for whatever reasons typically and for the most

    Several have said in /ooc they don't require donations but do
    appreciate them as they need to buy a spell or something. In cases
    like that, I give more to the best of my 'toons ability. I've even
    dipped into my armor upgrade funds. Sometimes that takes all of the
    plat my 'toon had. So I do donate to the best of my 'toons' ability.

    ] I guess what I'm trying to say is that is isn't really fair to have an
    ] expectation that there are free buffs in PoK ever. I mean when it

    Months worth of free buffs created the expectation, and not just in
    me.

    ] happens or somebody doesn't mind, great. But people who give their time
    ] to buff others and had to earn or buy the spells to do so do deserve
    ] some compensation for their efforts in my opinion.

    Oh, I don't expect everything for free. But someone who expects a
    minimum amount of plat should say so in the /ooc announcing they are
    casting something. Thats what bothered me the most about it. No hint
    until the sarcastic remark when I offered 2 pat and was rejected. In
    a rather short time there was competition charging less.

    ] I'll give you a case in point. Clerics have to do a pain in the neck
    ] quest and camp a certain mob sometimes for hours to get temp. It's a

    okay. Now the request for plat makes sense. But it should be made in
    the /ooc, not an /ooc of them saying temp was available. Other times
    I've seen requests for plat for buffs, it was in the /ooc made by
    that player. No guessing required.

    ] I guess what I am trying to say is players who buff put a lot of effort
    ] and or money into obtaining these buff spells and then they spend their
    ] own valuable time hanging around in PoK buffing people. Given that, it
    ] is very reasonable and I think proper to offer them a decent donation
    ] every time. I don't think it's a good idea to make a habit of seeking
    ] buffs for free. If you want the buffs regularly, then you should find a

    I saw the buffs were free, I never demanded they be free. A couple
    of times I told them I had no plat, maybe later I can come back with
    plat, they buffed anyway. Someone sat at one of the stones in POK,
    about 2 weeks ago, and buffed as 'toons arriving from out of zone
    into POK. No plat was asked. I offered and was told to not worry
    about it.

    ] I can see asking a favor of someone once in a while, in a pinch. I just
    ] don't think it's good to make a habit of it and it sounds like you found
    ] yourself surprised one day that you couldn't land free buffs. It sounded
    ] to me like you expected to be able to. I don't really know why you'd
    ] expect that.

    Because it was happening for months. Lots of 'donate if you can
    afford it' /ooc or no requets for plat at all. Then EQ2 happened.
    The /ooc saying a certain minimum plat amount is required has been
    on the rise. Usually 10, some are asking 20 plat. In a zone and for
    a buff that many offered for free before.

    ] Anyway, once again, if I'm around or someplace you don't mind running
    ] to, I'll be glad to take care of you and I don't want anything for it.

    okay.

    JimP
    --

    > "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    > ] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt the
    > ] game... I present exhibit A.
    > ]
    > ] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.
    >
    > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    > character sit.

    The prosecution rests its case.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
    Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk

    "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    ] "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    ] news:pfhhs0l9pdf2qea3tl7odcikosas0aqgbl@4ax.com...
    ] > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    ] > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    ] > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    ] > character sit.
    ]
    ] The prosecution rests its case.

    Of what case ? That I don't like being bored ? Well, thats boring.

    JimP.
    --

    Gary Beldon <g.beldon@virgin.net> wrote:
    > You have to remember that the biggest overhead is bandwidth

    I have a hard time believing that, given that SOE refuses to implement
    offline trading.

    > Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    >] You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    >] think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    >] only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    >
    > Now thats what I was told was good about the EQ community. There are
    > people who are willing to help, and don't do the put downs as a
    > first response.
    >
    >] One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    >] you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    >
    > The only info I can find is who can cast it.
    >
    > JimP.

    It can only be worn by pets

    --
    Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
    Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

    Mairelon, 14th Paladin
    Silverhand

    My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com

    Sean Kennedy wrote:
    > D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>] You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    >>] think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    >>] only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    >>
    >>Now thats what I was told was good about the EQ community. There are
    >>people who are willing to help, and don't do the put downs as a
    >>first response.
    >>
    >>] One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    >>] you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    >>
    >>The only info I can find is who can cast it.
    >>
    >>JimP.
    >

    > It can only be worn by pets

    Oh, shoot. So much for being helpful. LOL! Well, it was a nice thought.

    --

    > D.J. wrote:
    > > "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    > > ] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt
    the
    > > ] game... I present exhibit A.
    > > ]
    > > ] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not
    lower.

    > > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    > > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    > > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    > > character sit.
    > >
    > > JimP.
    >
    > You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    > think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    > only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    > toon in the bazaar selling them along with pet toys, etc. And I think
    > they usually run around 5 or 10p for one. The nice thing about these is
    > they are not going to run out like temp during your playtime. Of course,
    > even better would be to grab one of these and then get a temp too. Uber!
    > Hehe...
    >
    > One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    > you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    > something like that. Maybe somebody else here can clarify what I am
    > talking about as I can't remember for sure myself.

    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=29929

    note that no races can equip it. it was made for pets to wear, rather than
    players.

    bob wrote:
    > "Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>D.J. wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    >>>] Uh, yeah. Whoever was asking how allowing out of group buffs hurt
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>] game... I present exhibit A.
    >>>]
    >>>] You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not
    >
    > lower.
    >
    >>>Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    >>>limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    >>>speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    >>>character sit.
    >>>
    >>>JimP.
    >>
    >>You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    >>think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    >>only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    >>toon in the bazaar selling them along with pet toys, etc. And I think
    >>they usually run around 5 or 10p for one. The nice thing about these is
    >>they are not going to run out like temp during your playtime. Of course,
    >>even better would be to grab one of these and then get a temp too. Uber!
    >>Hehe...
    >>
    >>One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    >>you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    >>something like that. Maybe somebody else here can clarify what I am
    >>talking about as I can't remember for sure myself.
    >>

    > http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=29929
    >
    > note that no races can equip it. it was made for pets to wear, rather than
    > players.

    Yes, I stand corrected or maybe I should just say informed here and in
    the post above. Thanks for clearing that up and sorry it wasn't useful
    after all. But hey, I'll still temp you free whenever I'm around and you
    are too. :-)

    --

    > "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    > ] "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    > ] news:pfhhs0l9pdf2qea3tl7odcikosas0aqgbl@4ax.com...
    > ] > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    > ] > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    > ] > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    > ] > character sit.
    > ]
    > ] The prosecution rests its case.
    >
    > Of what case ? That I don't like being bored ? Well, thats boring.

    That buff whores hurt the game. In the low level game it removes all
    challenge and raises the type of player that doesn't have the ability to play
    without it.

    --

    Davian wrote:
    > "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    >>] "D.J." <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in message
    >>] news:pfhhs0l9pdf2qea3tl7odcikosas0aqgbl@4ax.com...
    >>] > Yup. Instead of having a temp, I can spend the majority of my
    >>] > limited time for online gaming waiting in town for my 'toon's hp to
    >>] > speech on tv. I would rather spend my time gaming, not watching my
    >>] > character sit.
    >>]
    >>] The prosecution rests its case.
    >>
    >>Of what case ? That I don't like being bored ? Well, thats boring.
    >>

    > That buff whores hurt the game. In the low level game it removes all
    > challenge and raises the type of player that doesn't have the ability to play
    > without it.

    Oh, baloney. It removes deaths and downtime. Give it a rest. Having
    another 800 hitpoints doesn't have a lot to do with learning to play
    your class, except perhaps to grant you more uninterrupted time to do so.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    ] Oh, baloney. It removes deaths and downtime. Give it a rest. Having
    ] another 800 hitpoints doesn't have a lot to do with learning to play
    ] your class, except perhaps to grant you more uninterrupted time to do so.

    I fully agree. My characters have died. I've even made a corpse run.
    But spending most of my gaming time looking for a corpse or waiting
    for my hp to come back while I have my 'toon sitting for long
    periods of time doesn't teach me how to play.

    JimP.
    --
    http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
    http://blue7green.drivein-jim.net/ December 4, 2004
    http://www.drivein-jim.net/ October 24, 2004:
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html Dec 5, 2004 AD&D

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:27:33 -0500, Michael
    <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:

    >> That buff whores hurt the game. In the low level game it removes all
    >> challenge and raises the type of player that doesn't have the ability to play
    >> without it.
    >>

    >Oh, baloney. It removes deaths and downtime. Give it a rest. Having
    >another 800 hitpoints doesn't have a lot to do with learning to play
    >your class, except perhaps to grant you more uninterrupted time to do so.

    ....so, extending the limits and capabilities of a character, thus,
    making it easier, doesn't impact someone's ability to learn that
    character's -real- limits and capabilities? You mean kinda like when
    KEI had a minimum level put on it, suddenly tons of priests and
    casters didn't know how to manage their mana below that level and were
    constantly running out for a long time until everyone adjusted to it?
    Or how when they could get KEI at low levels, wizards in groups were
    spam nuking making it impossible for the tank to hold aggro...?

    Having another 800 points has -everything- to do with learning your
    class's limits, which is a huge part of learning to play your class.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    In article <587is0l8v6j1tcmgai7diqgctgma1oi2op@4ax.com>,
    Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >Having another 800 points has -everything- to do with learning your
    >class's limits, which is a huge part of learning to play your class.

    I remember back in my Crushbone days someone put a temp on me.
    I ran into Crushbone and snared an orc, only a million other orcs came
    too. (Well, maybe 4 other orcs... :-) Anyway, after a while I looked
    around and all the orcs were dead and I was like WTF? How come I'm not
    on a CR? then I saw I had like 1000 hitpoints...

    > Davian wrote:

    > > You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.
    > >

    > No you don't. But it's fun to have all those extra hitpoints and less
    > downtime because of them.

    It's fun to play Doom on God mode too.

    For about 15 minutes.

    --

    Davian wrote:
    > "Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Davian wrote:
    >

    >>>You don't need Temp at level 12 to kill things. And especially not lower.
    >>>

    >>No you don't. But it's fun to have all those extra hitpoints and less
    >>downtime because of them.
    >>

    > It's fun to play Doom on God mode too.
    >
    > For about 15 minutes.

    LOL. Temp does not equal God mode. You can still get yourself killed
    with temp on. You know that. Ever meet Dvinn in CB? Think any temped
    lowbie is gonna take him down? How about adds? How about the fact that
    for a warrior temp only extends the period of time before his health
    falls to low levels with contiued fighting anyway. Don't worry. He'll
    die. It just won't be quite so often. And I don't see that as a problem,
    neither did I ever find it boring when I was a temped lowbie.

    Oh, and by the way. It is not fun to play Doom on God mode ever.

    Just my two coppers.

    --

    > bob wrote:
    > > "Michael" <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > lower.

    > >>You know what you should check out Jim? Mages can summon some girdle I
    > >>think it is that has 500 HP and great stats too. It's norent so it's
    > >>only good for that play session but I think you can often find a mage
    > >>toon in the bazaar selling them along with pet toys, etc. And I think
    > >>they usually run around 5 or 10p for one. The nice thing about these is
    > >>they are not going to run out like temp during your playtime. Of course,
    > >>even better would be to grab one of these and then get a temp too. Uber!
    > >>Hehe...
    > >>
    > >>One catch though, I can't remember what classes can wear the thing. So
    > >>you'll need to check for that. It might be Girdle of Magikot or
    > >>something like that. Maybe somebody else here can clarify what I am
    > >>talking about as I can't remember for sure myself.
    > >>

    > > http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=29929
    > >
    > > note that no races can equip it. it was made for pets to wear, rather
    than
    > > players.
    > >

    > Yes, I stand corrected or maybe I should just say informed here and in
    > the post above. Thanks for clearing that up and sorry it wasn't useful
    > after all. But hey, I'll still temp you free whenever I'm around and you
    > are too. :-)

    there are some mage items that you can use, though. whenever i have a
    friend starting a new character or something like that i always summon them
    some phantom armor and an elemental defender. it's not much, but if you're
    naked with no money to buy better armor, it works.

    "D.J." wrote:

    > Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    > ] Oh, baloney. It removes deaths and downtime. Give it a rest. Having
    > ] another 800 hitpoints doesn't have a lot to do with learning to play
    > ] your class, except perhaps to grant you more uninterrupted time to do
    so.

    > I fully agree. My characters have died. I've even made a corpse run.
    > But spending most of my gaming time looking for a corpse or waiting
    > for my hp to come back while I have my 'toon sitting for long
    > periods of time doesn't teach me how to play.

    Yes, it does. You obviously haven't learned the wonders of Bind Wound
    because of your reliance on buffs at an early level.

    I'd rather have grouped my cleric with a knowledgable warrior with BW maxed
    (I'm guessing your chatacter's Bind Wound sits at 0). It showed me he
    understood the intricacies of his class and how his class interacted with
    other classes, because by using BW he helped me manage my mana pool.

    I've always been neutral on the subject of buff whoring (well, unless you
    count how vocal I was in my dislike for unlimited KEI), but this example
    changed my mind regarding it.

    Crash

    Rom Gin <romulator@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
    > 8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.
    No it no longer does. All priest HP buffs are without a component now -
    just mana.

    Hagen

    "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote in message
    > Rom Gin <romulator@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >> Doesn't temp require a peridot as a component? I think the dots go for
    >> 8-12pp, depending on your faction / charisma.
    > No it no longer does. All priest HP buffs are without a component now -
    > just mana.
    >

    > Hagen

    A fact that irritates the hell outta enchanters everywhere since our Runes
    still require a Peridot :P

    Viarra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Storm Warden
    Kyrdra Drakar <Northstar Legions> 65 Wood Elf Overlord
    Liatras Drakar <Northstar Legions> 56 1/2 Elf Ranger

    "D.J." wrote:

    > Because it was happening for months. Lots of 'donate if you can
    > afford it' /ooc or no requets for plat at all. Then EQ2 happened.
    > The /ooc saying a certain minimum plat amount is required has been
    > on the rise. Usually 10, some are asking 20 plat. In a zone and for
    > a buff that many offered for free before.

    To me, this looks like a sure sign that EQL is having troubles. People
    who gave out the buffs for free were probably doing so at least partially
    because they were sorta bored and didn't have much else to do at that
    moment. These people are now gone, leaving the more mercenary buff givers
    behind. Even if you solo, the lower population is affecting you (if you
    seek outside buffs, which I would think a large percentage of soloers do).

    Maybe many of them will be back after the shine wears off of the
    competition, or perhaps they won't. In the meanwhile, people who have
    stayed are getting more and more frustrated, and more likely to quit
    themselves.

    /vicious circle = ON

    --
    Annie

    In EQII:

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    _______

    If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

Games Video Games