Windows components close immediately atfter opening

bill

I am running XP Home with SP2. Recently I have experienced a problem that
when I try to start defragmenter, task manager or device manager (and there
could be other) the application screen flashes and then closes immediately.
I have been running SP2 since November and this problem has come up only in
the last 2-3 weeks.

I have run both spyware and virus scan and the problems did not seem to be
there.
Thinking that some XP files are corrupt I did an upgrade install of XP Home
with SP2 again and I still have the same problem. My next step would be to
do a clean load of XP but want to see if there is something else I should
attempt first.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

[[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
Viruses.]]

Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

Free online virus scans

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Get Your AVG 7 for free!
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5ABB4692-2F63-49C3-A716-02DC9A1698A6@microsoft.com,
Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am running XP Home with SP2. Recently I have experienced a problem
> that when I try to start defragmenter, task manager or device manager
> (and there could be other) the application screen flashes and then
> closes immediately. I have been running SP2 since November and this
> problem has come up only in the last 2-3 weeks.
>
> I have run both spyware and virus scan and the problems did not seem
> to be there.
> Thinking that some XP files are corrupt I did an upgrade install of
> XP Home with SP2 again and I still have the same problem. My next
> step would be to do a clean load of XP but want to see if there is
> something else I should attempt first.

bill

Wesley,
I have run both McAfee and AVG in safe mode and I still have the same
problem. AVG identified two Java related viruses; McAfee identified none.
I can run the XP tools while I am in safe mode which I didn't mention in my
first post. There are not any other obvious signs of an infections other
than the tools won't run. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Bill

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.
>
> [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
> Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
> Viruses.]]
>
> Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm
>
> Free online virus scans
>
> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
> Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
>
> Get Your AVG 7 for free!
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
>
> Whatever you use for Anti Virus, keep it updated.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:5ABB4692-2F63-49C3-A716-02DC9A1698A6@microsoft.com,
> Bill <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I am running XP Home with SP2. Recently I have experienced a problem
> > that when I try to start defragmenter, task manager or device manager
> > (and there could be other) the application screen flashes and then
> > closes immediately. I have been running SP2 since November and this
> > problem has come up only in the last 2-3 weeks.
> >
> > I have run both spyware and virus scan and the problems did not seem
> > to be there.
> > Thinking that some XP files are corrupt I did an upgrade install of
> > XP Home with SP2 again and I still have the same problem. My next
> > step would be to do a clean load of XP but want to see if there is
> > something else I should attempt first.

Creates usable copies of REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes