Doggy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2001
My first trial with AMD cpu is a total disaster. I only connected the Vedio card, ram, a slot-A athlon 750 and a FIC SD11 MB. The bootup shows the latest bios version, the correct info about cpu,and memo check OK! cpu fans ran. Then, the "wait ......" line stays there forever.
When I have the cdrom and the hardrive connected, the led of cdrom blinks when powered up. but nothing after that. The led for floppy drive is always on, I don't know why. my reasoning: Vcard is ok, since it shows sth after all. ram is ok, and the cpu is probably ok.
What should I do next?

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Doggy

Did the ide cable that goes to the floppy have a notch that only fit one way onto the drive? Usually when the light is constantly on it means the cable is on backwards. If it's possible to reverse the cable, try it and see if it will boot for you.

Also, I found out the hard way it won't boot if you accidently hook two keyboards up to the back of the computer, and it's rather embarassing when the customer is standing right there.

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

svol

Champion
Check if your IDE cables are properly connected to the harddisk and CDROM, and check if there jumpers are set correct.
If you reverse the floppy cable it will probably work.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the floppy drive cable is reversed, connet it correctly. this problem wont stop booting, it will just warn about the error accessing floppy drive and wait for you to press F1 to continue.

now try pressing Del to get into BIOS, if you can, try auto-detecting the HDs, if they arent detected then you have some problem. reset the BIOS and remove the HDD cables.

Try booting, if it goes through and says "NO SYSTEM DISK" or something like that, your system is good. carefully plug the HD connectors (do it one at a time, connect only the HD first) back and power up. this time round you should be able to detect the HD correctly and go through.

then your CD is probably configured as master that is conflicting with the HD (assuming they are on the same cable) correct it and connect the CD-ROM drive.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>