Can't create new primary partitions, only logical drives. ..

Hi there!

I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two new
and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
partition, the other to try out new programs.

Of course, things didn't work out that way!

So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},

some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive

and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
saying (E:) {System}

Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
always show-up as logical drives...

Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past and
can't figure out what I'm missing today!

Thanks,

Eric
4 answers Last reply
More about create primary partitions logical drives

    Apparently, you are attempting to reformat your drive
    the old fashioned way. Read the following for an easy
    procedure:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.

    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.

    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Djaighan" wrote:

    | Hi there!
    |
    | I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
    | obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two new
    | and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
    | partition, the other to try out new programs.
    |
    | Of course, things didn't work out that way!
    |
    | So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},
    |
    | some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive
    |
    | and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
    | saying (E:) {System}
    |
    | Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
    | always show-up as logical drives...
    |
    | Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past and
    | can't figure out what I'm missing today!
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Eric

    Hi Djaighan
    Try useing XP cd. XP cd is bootable and will do partioning and formating.
    Hope this helps

    --
    Carl G
    "Djaighan" <Djaighan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
    > obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two
    > new
    > and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
    > partition, the other to try out new programs.
    >
    > Of course, things didn't work out that way!
    >
    > So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},
    >
    > some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive
    >
    > and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
    > saying (E:) {System}
    >
    > Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
    > always show-up as logical drives...
    >
    > Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past
    > and
    > can't figure out what I'm missing today!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric

    Is the E partition on a different physical hard drive or is it a partion
    on the same physical drive as C? If it is on the same drive as C, don't
    rush ahead. If it's on a different physical drive, see Carey Frisch's post.

    --
    Bob Dietz

    Djaighan wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
    > obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two new
    > and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
    > partition, the other to try out new programs.
    >
    > Of course, things didn't work out that way!
    >
    > So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},
    >
    > some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive
    >
    > and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
    > saying (E:) {System}
    >
    > Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
    > always show-up as logical drives...
    >
    > Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past and
    > can't figure out what I'm missing today!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric

    Exactly how committed are you to the current drive contents?

    First thing is dump fdisk. It has no business around modern hardware and is
    of only minimal use around NT kernels when used on hardware for which it was
    intended.

    If you're not committed to current drive contents, then boot the XP CD,
    delete all partitions and start over. This time, create an initial primary
    for the OS *only* at this juncture. If you create more than one partition
    within the setup engine it will be created automatically, and with out any
    control from you, as a logical volume. Within the context of XP supplied
    disk management tools, you have to use the diskmgmt snap-in in order to
    create multiple primary partitions. Once you have the base OS installed and
    up you then use diskmgmt.msc to create additional primaries.

    Then there are 3rd party solutions, but rereading what you said, you have no
    interest in retaining current drive content...

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "Djaighan" <Djaighan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
    > obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two
    > new
    > and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
    > partition, the other to try out new programs.
    >
    > Of course, things didn't work out that way!
    >
    > So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},
    >
    > some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive
    >
    > and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
    > saying (E:) {System}
    >
    > Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
    > always show-up as logical drives...
    >
    > Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past
    > and
    > can't figure out what I'm missing today!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric

Windows XP