Factory Settings

I have a computer that does not have a restore disk but I do have my own copy
of XP. How can I erase everything on the computer and just have XP on it like
its back at factory spects?
4 answers Last reply
More about factory settings

    It sounds like that Windows XP CD did not come with the computer.
    Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for information on
    restoring to "Factory Settings".
    If you use your CD, you may damage whatever system is set by the
    manufacturer.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    In news:4176C927-F108-473E-ACE6-977450E60CF5@microsoft.com,
    Thumper <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have a computer that does not have a restore disk but I do have my
    > own copy of XP. How can I erase everything on the computer and just
    > have XP on it like its back at factory spects?

    The easiest way is to make sure that your computer is set to boot from CD,
    insert the CD, boot, follow on-screen prompts, do a new installation.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    No, the CD did not come with the computer. It has no manuacturer info on it
    to my knowledge. Its just a computer I bought from another person a long time
    ago. So any help on to how to clean all this up on the computer will help out
    alot, thanks.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > It sounds like that Windows XP CD did not come with the computer.
    > Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for information on
    > restoring to "Factory Settings".
    > If you use your CD, you may damage whatever system is set by the
    > manufacturer.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a computer that does not have a restore disk but I do have my own
    > >copy
    > > of XP. How can I erase everything on the computer and just have XP on it
    > > like
    > > its back at factory spects?

    Clean Installation:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

    --

    > No, the CD did not come with the computer. It has no manuacturer info on
    > it
    > to my knowledge. Its just a computer I bought from another person a long
    > time
    > ago. So any help on to how to clean all this up on the computer will help
    > out
    > alot, thanks.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> It sounds like that Windows XP CD did not come with the computer.
    >> Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for information on
    >> restoring to "Factory Settings".
    >> If you use your CD, you may damage whatever system is set by the
    >> manufacturer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a computer that does not have a restore disk but I do have my own
    >> >copy
    >> > of XP. How can I erase everything on the computer and just have XP on
    >> > it
    >> > like
    >> > its back at factory spects?

Windows XP Computers Factory Restore