Hard Drive Problems

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
problem.

I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

sabyers@bellsouth.net

hh

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Are all the drives jumpered CS (Cable Select)? They should be.
HH

"Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> problem.
>
> I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve
>
> sabyers@bellsouth.net

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

"Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> problem.
>
> I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve
>
> sabyers@bellsouth.net

Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable. Generally
speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the status. Your
old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you must
change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper that
makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.

Tac

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Have you checked the jumpers on the disk drives?
"Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> problem.
>
> I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve
>
> sabyers@bellsouth.net

hh

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Uh, Compaqs come with Cable Select cables and drives jumpered CS.
HH

"Tacitus" <hogwild@canada.com> wrote in message

> "Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> > have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> > problem.
> >
> > I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> > the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> > hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> > computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> > lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> > mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > sabyers@bellsouth.net
>
> Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
> accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable. Generally
> speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the status.
Your
> old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you must
> change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper that
> makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.
>
> Tac

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

The drive is set for cable select.

The old drive seems to have "finished dying" - when it is detected on
boot up, I not only get the message that the disk failure is imminent,
but I also get a message that the disk's controller has failed. I am
very fuzzy on IDE drives (well all drives! LOL) Is there only one
controller on the motherboard, or is a controller part of the
individual IDE drives?

One of the confusing things is that the system "thinks" that what ever
is attached to the "Drive 1" connector is the only drive in the system
and ignores the new hard drive. I get a message that no system file
was detected. When I disconnect the cable from the drive connected as
"Drive 1" - the system detects the new drive and boots.

I sure appreciate all the help.

Steve

"justme" <nospam@hellothere.com> wrote in message news:<zMqrc.14956$Ol3.9735@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> Have you checked the jumpers on the disk drives?
> "Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> > have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> > problem.
> >
> > I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> > the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> > hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> > computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> > lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> > mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > sabyers@bellsouth.net

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

But he did install a new drive and it may not have been jumpered to CS.
Never tried having one drive set to master and the 2nd set to cable select
but that could be his problem.

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Uh, Compaqs come with Cable Select cables and drives jumpered CS.
> HH
>
> "Tacitus" <hogwild@canada.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
> > > have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
> > > the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
> > > hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
> > > computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
> > > lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
> > > mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > sabyers@bellsouth.net
> >
> > Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
> > accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable.
Generally
> > speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the status.
> Your
> > old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you must
> > change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper
that
> > makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.
> >
> > Tac

hh

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Yep. That's why I noted all drives should be jumpered CS if the original
cable is used.
HH

> But he did install a new drive and it may not have been jumpered to CS.
> Never tried having one drive set to master and the 2nd set to cable select
> but that could be his problem.
>
> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Uh, Compaqs come with Cable Select cables and drives jumpered CS.
> > HH
> >
> > "Tacitus" <hogwild@canada.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > > Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
> > > accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable.
> Generally
> > > speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the
status.
> > Your
> > > old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you
must
> > > change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper
> that
> > > makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.
> > >
> > > Tac

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Steve,

The master drive in a two-drive master-slave setup provides the controller
mechanism for the second drive. The IDE (actually I/O) chip on the motherboard
provides minimal intelligence. This is true even with the "cable select" type
of jumpering. With cable select, the cable construction determines which drive
is master and which is slave. If you hold a "cable select" type of IDE cable up
to the light, you will see that one of the wire traces is cut. The the presence
or lack of current on this wire which tells the drive to spin up as master or as
slave... Ben Myers

On 21 May 2004 19:31:53 -0700, sabyers@bellsouth.net (Steve Byers) wrote:

>The drive is set for cable select.
>
>The old drive seems to have "finished dying" - when it is detected on
>boot up, I not only get the message that the disk failure is imminent,
>but I also get a message that the disk's controller has failed. I am
>very fuzzy on IDE drives (well all drives! LOL) Is there only one
>controller on the motherboard, or is a controller part of the
>individual IDE drives?
>
>One of the confusing things is that the system "thinks" that what ever
>is attached to the "Drive 1" connector is the only drive in the system
>and ignores the new hard drive. I get a message that no system file
>was detected. When I disconnect the cable from the drive connected as
>"Drive 1" - the system detects the new drive and boots.
>
>I sure appreciate all the help.
>
>Steve
>
>"justme" <nospam@hellothere.com> wrote in message news:<zMqrc.14956$Ol3.9735@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
>> Have you checked the jumpers on the disk drives?
>> "Steve Byers" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
>> > have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
>> > the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
>> > hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
>> > computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
>> > lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
>> > mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Steve
>> >
>> > sabyers@bellsouth.net

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

If the new drive is in the master connector (the end connector) and the old
in the middle and the new is jumpered Master and the old CS, it would work.
Wierd, but work.

Sounds like the drive is dying, as you suspected.

Tom

Ben Myers wrote:
> Steve,
>
> The master drive in a two-drive master-slave setup provides the controller
> mechanism for the second drive. The IDE (actually I/O) chip on the motherboard
> provides minimal intelligence. This is true even with the "cable select" type
> of jumpering. With cable select, the cable construction determines which drive
> is master and which is slave. If you hold a "cable select" type of IDE cable up
> to the light, you will see that one of the wire traces is cut. The the presence
> or lack of current on this wire which tells the drive to spin up as master or as
> slave... Ben Myers

I think you will find the "cut", (which is not required for all cables),
is in the wire to pin 34. This is part of CBLID, which identifies
ATA/66/100 cables. The cable select is done by pin 28, (CSEL), which is
grounded at the master connector and open at the slave connection.

The drives should both be jumpered to "cable select".

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Thanks for the replies.

Both drives are configured as "cable select". Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve