Display folder tree accesses RECENT folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Sometimes (but not every time) I display the whole folder tree it can
take a minute or more. This is slightly less of a problem with
Windows Explorer but more of a problem with applications like Acdsee.

Regmon from SysInternals shows me that there are lots of access to my
RECENT folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Recent folder) using
registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\User Shell Folders\Recent

I have got almost 600 entries in RECENT. However I never have RECENT
open nor is it displayed by any slow folder tree.

Can I prevent XP going to that key to show the RECENT folder
when displaying the folder tree?
3 answers Last reply
More about display folder tree accesses recent folder
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Delete everthing that's in C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Recent. All 600
    items.

    HOW TO: Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

    HOW TO: Configure a System Policy to Control the Recently Used File List in
    an Office XP Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307949

    HOW TO: Clear the Most Recently Used Files List in an Office 2003 Program by
    Modifying the Windows Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826208

    HOW TO: Clear the Most Recently Used Files List in an Office XP Program by
    Modifying the Windows Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312968

    How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

    To not show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    1 Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    2 On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    3 On the Advanced tab, UNSelect the List my most recently opened documents
    check box.
    -----

    Using TweakUI
    [+] Explorer

    ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
    menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
    the Start menu customization dialog.]]

    ? Clear document history on exit
    [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
    documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
    you log off]]

    ? Maintain document history
    [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
    and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
    not respect this setting). ]]
    -----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
    -----

    Registry settings for TweakUI tweaks:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    1 = No, do not allow recent docs

    Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = No don't clear
    1 = Yes clear them

    Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes history
    1 = No history
    ----------------------

    If XP Pro you can use Group Edit...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\

    Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu.

    [[The Documents menu contains links to the nonprogram files that users have
    most recently opened. It appears so that users can easily reopen their
    documents.
    If you enable this setting, the system saves document shortcuts but does not
    display them in the Documents menu. If you later disable it or set it to Not
    Configured, the document shortcuts saved before the setting was enabled and
    while it was in effect appear in the Documents menu.
    Note: This setting does not prevent Windows programs from displaying
    shortcuts to recently opened documents. See the "Do not keep history of
    recently opened documents" setting.
    Also, see the "Do not keep history of recently opened documents" and "Clear
    history of recenTly opened documents on exit" policies in this folder.
    This setting also does not hide document shortcuts displayed in the Open
    dialog box. See the "Hide the dropdown list of recent files" setting. ]]

    Do not keep history of recently opened documents

    [[Prevents the operating system and installed programs from creating and
    displaying shortcuts to recently opened documents.
    If you enable this setting, the system and Windows programs do not create
    shortcuts to documents opened while the setting is in effect. Also, they
    retain but do not display existing document shortcuts. The system empties
    the Documents menu on the Start menu, and Windows programs do not display
    shortcuts at the bottom of the File menu.
    If you disable this setting, the system defaults are enforced. Disabling
    this setting has no effect on the system.
    Note: The system saves document shortcuts in the user profile in the
    System-drive\Documents and Settings\User-name\Recent folder.
    If you enable this setting but do not enable the "Remove Documents menu from
    Start Menu" setting, the Documents menu appears on the Start menu, but it is
    empty.
    If you enable this setting, but then later disable it or set it to Not
    Configured, the document shortcuts saved before the setting was enabled
    reappear in the Documents menu and program File menus.
    This setting does not hide document shortcuts displayed in the Open dialog
    box.]]

    Clear history of recently opened documents on exit

    [[If you enable this setting, the system deletes shortcuts to recently used
    document files when the user logs off. As a result, the Documents menu on
    the Start menu is always empty when the user logs on.
    If you disable or do not configure this setting, the system retains document
    shortcuts, and when a user logs on the Documents menu appears just as it did
    when the user logged off.
    Note: The system saves document shortcuts in the user profile in the
    System-drive\Documents and Settings\User-name\Recent folder. ]]
    -----

    Registry settings for gpedit.msc:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer

    The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
    of 0 is disabled.

    Policy: Remove Recent Documents item from Start Menu
    removes the corresponding checkbox from the Start menu customization CPL.
    Registry Value: "NoRecentDocsMenu"

    Policy: Clear history of recent documents on exit
    the user logs off.
    Registry Value: "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:95FFD6201485764A18E@130.133.1.4,
    Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    > Sometimes (but not every time) I display the whole folder tree it can
    > take a minute or more. This is slightly less of a problem with
    > Windows Explorer but more of a problem with applications like Acdsee.
    >
    > Regmon from SysInternals shows me that there are lots of access to my
    > RECENT folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Recent folder) using
    > registry key
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    > Explorer\User Shell Folders\Recent
    >
    > I have got almost 600 entries in RECENT. However I never have RECENT
    > open nor is it displayed by any slow folder tree.
    >
    > Can I prevent XP going to that key to show the RECENT folder
    > when displaying the folder tree?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On 17 Feb 2005, Wesley Vogel wrote:

    > Delete everthing that's in C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Nemo\Recent. All 600 items.
    >
    > HOW TO: Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the
    > Start Menu in Windows XP
    >
    > -- snip snip snip --
    >
    > Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    > Clear document history on exit
    > Maintain document history

    Wesley, I have done what you suggested but it does not seem to
    really help. Now Acdsee goes to the registry key for the RECENT
    folder:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Explorer\User Shell Folders

    and when it doesn't find it (because of all the c;eaning up I have
    done) then it goes to query this key instead using several
    operations!

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-861567501-
    920026266-1957994488-1003

    Any other ideas?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I know nothing about ACDSee. Maybe it needs to use the Recent folder for
    something.

    S-1-5-21-861567501-920026266-1957994488-1003 is either you or the
    Administrator.

    http://www.acdsystems.com/english/support/technicalsupport/index

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9601B03DAB78D64A18E@130.133.1.4,
    Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> hunted and pecked:
    > Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >> Sometimes (but not every time) I display the whole folder tree
    >> it can take a minute or more. This is slightly less of a
    >> problem with Windows Explorer but more of a problem with
    >> applications like Acdsee.
    >>
    >> Regmon from SysInternals shows me that there are lots of access
    >> to my RECENT folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo\Recent
    >> folder) using registry key
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    >> Explorer\User Shell Folders\Recent
    >>
    >> I have got almost 600 entries in RECENT. However I never have
    >> RECENT open nor is it displayed by any slow folder tree.
    >>
    >> Can I prevent XP going to that key to show the RECENT folder
    >> when displaying the folder tree?
    >

    > On 17 Feb 2005, Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >>
    >> Delete everthing that's in C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\Nemo\Recent. All 600 items.
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the
    >> Start Menu in Windows XP
    >>
    >> -- snip snip snip --
    >>
    >> Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    >> Clear document history on exit
    >> Maintain document history
    >
    > Wesley, I have done what you suggested but it does not seem to
    > really help. Now Acdsee goes to the registry key for the RECENT
    > folder:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    > \Explorer\User Shell Folders
    >
    > and when it doesn't find it (because of all the c;eaning up I have
    > done) then it goes to query this key instead using several
    > operations!
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    > CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-861567501-
    > 920026266-1957994488-1003
    >
    > Any other ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP Displays