Sasha

Machine: ThinkPad 1.8GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD

Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates loaded

Windows managed page file on my Thinkpad was originally 1534 MB, which I
considered to be excessive. Fiddled around and tried to reset the pagefile.
Wasn't able to ...researched a bit on the web and found that Norton Antivirus
Auto-protect feature needs to be disabled. Did that and reset the pagefile to
0 bytes.....recoverd disk space, defragged and was quite happy!!! :D

Found that my Thinkpad was still committing between 300 - 400 MB as
pagefile. Did some further research and found that disabling pagefile doesn't
mean that Windows stops paging..... :-(

Defragged my hard disk, went to the System Properties and reset the pagefile
again to MIN = 300 MB and MAX = 400 MB. Clicked on the "Set" button, OKed my
way out and restarted my machine.....

Here's the problem...... After rebooting, the pagefile set in System
Properties 300-400 MB, but the size of the pagefile as reported in Windows
Explorer is 1534 MB. What gives?? I had defragged the HD b4 creating the new
file...so from where is Windows picking up the command to set the pagefile to
1534MB?????

How do I make sure that my pagefile is not more than 400 MB? While it might
appear that I am nitpicking about a couple of GB with all that hard disk
space, I would still like to restrict my pagefile to <400 MB.

Help appreciated..TIA...

Please review the following:

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Alex Nichol]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Sasha" wrote:

| Machine: ThinkPad 1.8GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD
|
| Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates loaded
|

| Windows managed page file on my Thinkpad was originally 1534 MB, which I
| considered to be excessive. Fiddled around and tried to reset the pagefile.
| Wasn't able to ...researched a bit on the web and found that Norton Antivirus
| Auto-protect feature needs to be disabled. Did that and reset the pagefile to
| 0 bytes.....recoverd disk space, defragged and was quite happy!!! :D
|
| Found that my Thinkpad was still committing between 300 - 400 MB as
| pagefile. Did some further research and found that disabling pagefile doesn't
| mean that Windows stops paging..... :-(
|
| Defragged my hard disk, went to the System Properties and reset the pagefile
| again to MIN = 300 MB and MAX = 400 MB. Clicked on the "Set" button, OKed my
| way out and restarted my machine.....
|
| Here's the problem...... After rebooting, the pagefile set in System
| Properties 300-400 MB, but the size of the pagefile as reported in Windows
| Explorer is 1534 MB. What gives?? I had defragged the HD b4 creating the new
| file...so from where is Windows picking up the command to set the pagefile to
| 1534MB?????
|
| How do I make sure that my pagefile is not more than 400 MB? While it might
| appear that I am nitpicking about a couple of GB with all that hard disk
| space, I would still like to restrict my pagefile to <400 MB.
|
| Help appreciated..TIA...

Sasha

Where are you getting the pagefile figures quoted? Are they allocations
or in use figures?

You may check on pagefile (virtual memory) usage with Page File Monitor
for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sasha" <Sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Machine: ThinkPad 1.8GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates loaded
>

> Windows managed page file on my Thinkpad was originally 1534 MB, which
> considered to be excessive. Fiddled around and tried to reset the
> pagefile.
> Wasn't able to ...researched a bit on the web and found that Norton
> Antivirus
> Auto-protect feature needs to be disabled. Did that and reset the
> pagefile to
> 0 bytes.....recoverd disk space, defragged and was quite happy!!! :D
>
> Found that my Thinkpad was still committing between 300 - 400 MB as
> pagefile. Did some further research and found that disabling pagefile
> doesn't
> mean that Windows stops paging..... :-(
>
> Defragged my hard disk, went to the System Properties and reset the
> pagefile
> again to MIN = 300 MB and MAX = 400 MB. Clicked on the "Set" button,
> OKed my
> way out and restarted my machine.....
>
> Here's the problem...... After rebooting, the pagefile set in System
> Properties 300-400 MB, but the size of the pagefile as reported in
> Windows
> Explorer is 1534 MB. What gives?? I had defragged the HD b4 creating
> the new
> file...so from where is Windows picking up the command to set the
> pagefile to
> 1534MB?????
>
> How do I make sure that my pagefile is not more than 400 MB? While it
> might
> appear that I am nitpicking about a couple of GB with all that hard
> disk
> space, I would still like to restrict my pagefile to <400 MB.
>
> Help appreciated..TIA...

Sasha

Hi Gerry

The pagefile I set was MIN = 300 MB and MAX = 400 MB, in the system
Properties > Advanced > Virtual Memory Tab. Once I Click on the "Set" button,
the size of the pagefile displayed in the window above (listing all the
drives) changed to reflect the input I had given.

Once I OKed my way out and restarted the system, I found that my HD free
space was reduced by 1.49 GB, instead of the 400 MB which I allocated to the
MAX pagefile.sys. So I went to Windows Explorer and checked the size of the
pagefile.sys and it was 1.49 GB.

I did not have a pagefile prior to this setting, since I selected the "No
pagefile" option, restarted my systen and defragged the HD. I then checked in
Windows Explorer, which confirmed the absebce of pagefile.sys and also showed
an increase of HD space by 1.49 GB. I then reset my pagefile to the MIN/MAX
figures mentioned above, restarted my machine and Windows Explorer and System
Properties tab show the pagefile to be 1534 MB or 1.49 GB instead of 300/400
MB.

Just as a point of interest, I understand that Norton AV can cause some
problems, so I had disabled it during all the above mentioned steps.

PS to Cary: I have already gone through the excellent post about pagefiles.
"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Sasha
>
> Where are you getting the pagefile figures quoted? Are they allocations
> or in use figures?
>
> You may check on pagefile (virtual memory) usage with Page File Monitor
> for XP:
> http://www.dougknox.com/
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.

Sasha

The figures you are quoting are allocations not usage. Try doubling the
MAX or setting no MAX.

In Task Manager on the Processes tab you can add a column to show
Virtual Memory size -View, Select Columns. What process is requiring so
much?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Hi Gerry
>
> The pagefile I set was MIN = 300 MB and MAX = 400 MB, in the system
> Properties > Advanced > Virtual Memory Tab. Once I Click on the "Set"
> button,
> the size of the pagefile displayed in the window above (listing all
> the
> drives) changed to reflect the input I had given.
>
> Once I OKed my way out and restarted the system, I found that my HD
> free
> space was reduced by 1.49 GB, instead of the 400 MB which I allocated
> to the
> MAX pagefile.sys. So I went to Windows Explorer and checked the size
> of the
> pagefile.sys and it was 1.49 GB.
>
> I did not have a pagefile prior to this setting, since I selected the
> "No
> pagefile" option, restarted my systen and defragged the HD. I then
> checked in
> Windows Explorer, which confirmed the absebce of pagefile.sys and also
> showed
> an increase of HD space by 1.49 GB. I then reset my pagefile to the
> MIN/MAX
> figures mentioned above, restarted my machine and Windows Explorer and
> System
> Properties tab show the pagefile to be 1534 MB or 1.49 GB instead of
> 300/400
> MB.
>
> Just as a point of interest, I understand that Norton AV can cause
> some
> problems, so I had disabled it during all the above mentioned steps.
>
> PS to Cary: I have already gone through the excellent post about
> pagefiles.
> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
>> Sasha
>>
>> Where are you getting the pagefile figures quoted? Are they
>> allocations
>> or in use figures?
>>
>> You may check on pagefile (virtual memory) usage with Page File
>> Monitor
>> for XP:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.

Sasha

Thnx for th eclarificatoin..I thought I was limiting the pagefile size....

Processes usign a bulk of the virtual memory are:

Explorer.exe - 13180 K
svchost.exe - 18516 K
CLI.exe (ATI grphics card driver) - 24552 K
Firefox.exe - 29984 K

Aprrox 10 programs with ~ 5000 K usage
Approx 23 programs with ~ 2500 K usage
Apprx 13 programs with ~ 600 K usage

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> [...]
> > MIN/MAX
> > figures mentioned above, restarted my machine and Windows Explorer and
> > System
> > Properties tab show the pagefile to be 1534 MB or 1.49 GB instead of
> > 300/400
> > MB.
> >
> > Just as a point of interest, I understand that Norton AV can cause
> > some
> > problems, so I had disabled it during all the above mentioned steps.
> >
> > PS to Cary: I have already gone through the excellent post about
> > pagefiles.
> > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
> >
> >> Sasha
> >>
> >> Where are you getting the pagefile figures quoted? Are they
> >> allocations
> >> or in use figures?
> >>
> >> You may check on pagefile (virtual memory) usage with Page File

Sasha

Thanks Geryy, it worked...and sorry for the delay in posting back a reply...

Once again, thanks

Sasha

Excellent. Thanks for reporting the outcome. It helps others know what
works and what does not!

--

Regards.

Gerry