latest update causing file system problem?

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It seems that the latest update to winxp is causing file problems in our
network. We cannot open or save existing files on a fat32 network drive. The
file server is a legacy system running win95, workstations are winxp home and
pro. After the update (yesterday, 16/2/05) we have been unable to save or
open existing files on the network drive. We tested this by doing a system
restore to 2 days ago and everything works fine again. No other programs have
been installed in the past 2 days. So we are fairly certain that the update
is causing the problem.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems after this last update??

Q. "The file server is a legacy system running win95....."

A. Time to retire that system and purchase a new computer running
Windows Server 2003.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Allen" wrote:

| It seems that the latest update to winxp is causing file problems in our
| network. We cannot open or save existing files on a fat32 network drive. The
| file server is a legacy system running win95, workstations are winxp home and
| pro. After the update (yesterday, 16/2/05) we have been unable to save or
| open existing files on the network drive. We tested this by doing a system
| restore to 2 days ago and everything works fine again. No other programs have
| been installed in the past 2 days. So we are fairly certain that the update
| is causing the problem.
|
| Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems after this last update??

allen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

An obvious comment, but doesn't really answer the question. I thought
backwards compatibility is one of Microsoft's primary objectives? If there is
a problem with this latest patch then it needs to be addressed.

"Allen" <Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> An obvious comment, but doesn't really answer the question. I thought
> backwards compatibility is one of Microsoft's primary objectives?

Not any more, especially with a sunsetted platform. SP2 stepped all over
compatability. I'm not going to question why you're still running a 95
server since I happen to already know the answer in general. I do suggest
you start looking at migrating the platform though. I seriously doubt you'd
need to shell out the sheckles for a full blown server however.

> If there is
> a problem with this latest patch then it needs to be addressed.

See above.

That said, I can't think of a specific reason why the update would have
disabled network functionality with 95. I have an Me VM running on my
desktop that networks correctly wth my real XP machines and other XP VMs.
Since 95 is officially dead as far as MS is concerned. you'll probably have
to grab a single XP machine, reinstall the patches and see if you can figure
out what the problem is on your own.

--
Walter Clayton