Digital camera, usb PCMCIA card, Compaq 1540DM. . .big pro..

I bought a Concord 3040 AF digital camera. It required a usb port to
interact with my computer. This old
1540DM had no usb port so I acquired and installed a USB v2.0 Cardbus from
CompUSA.

Then I ran the CD Rom which came with the camera so as to install the
software required to work that camera on my computer. I followed all the
directions very precisely. The instruction manual which came with the
camera says that the first time I hook it up to the computer (through the
USB port) it will install the software for the new hardware. However, when
it gets to the point where it is ready to install the MASS storage driver
(or something like that) I get a fatal error screen which says I have a
fatal exception error 06 in something like 0028.00000017.

I can't get around this problem.

Can someone please help?

--
Martin
http://home.earthlink.net/~martinhowell

That sounds like a driver problem for the camera. Have you contacted
Concord?

On a related note, assuming it uses a card (CF, SM, SD, etc), a better
approach is to purchase a cheap USB2 card reader and never install the
software.

Tom

Tom Scale wrote:

> On a related note, assuming it uses a card (CF, SM, SD, etc), a better
> approach is to purchase a cheap USB2 card reader and never install the
> software.

Thanks for this Tom. What is involved in the use of one of these card
readers? What do they do?

---
Martin

Martin,

When you plug in one of these card readers and install the drivers (if
necessary), the card reader (and writer) becomes another removable "disk" drive
with its own drive letter. Insert a CF card, and the operating system
recognizes it exactly as tho you'd put a floppy diskette in a drive. But CF is
FAST, operating at memory speeds... Ben Myers