Partitioning Disk

I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to do
that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software that I
can use?
10 answers Last reply
More about partitioning disk

    Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
    The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to format
    and repartition, but you would lose all your data.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
    > that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to
    > do
    > that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software
    > that I
    > can use?

    I have never understood the value of partitioning a disk, at least unless you
    had only one physical hard drive. Personally, I use my internal hard drive
    to store all my programs and data, and I back up my data and other important
    files (e.g. downloaded programs) on a separate external USB hard drive. The
    cost of such a drive is not too much more than the retail price for Partition
    Magic, and you have the added advantage of being able to take it with you
    wherever you go.

    "xtian" wrote:

    > I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
    > that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to do
    > that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software that I
    > can use?

    When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
    programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
    System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q, Can
    you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for sharing.

    "0spam" wrote:

    > Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
    > The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to format
    > and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada.
    > Windows XP Home SP2.
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to make partition on my disk but I am not able to do that. I heard
    > > that some software like Partition Magic can. Is there any other option to
    > > do
    > > that without using a software or if it's not, what's the best software
    > > that I
    > > can use?

    Partitioning seems to be along the lines of whether toilet tissue should go
    over the top of the roll or come out from under it.

    Unless you're installing another operating system, no one needs to partition
    their hard disk. It's only a matter of convenience.

    Unfortunately, there are some who feel that it makes their computer run
    better.

    Modem Ani

    "Modem Ani" wrote:

    > Unfortunately, there are some who feel that [partitioning] makes their computer
    > run better.

    I'm not sure why. I'm not aware of any actual evidence that supports this
    claim, at least on NTFS file systems. Partitioning for performance gains
    made more sense back in the old FAT days, when bigger hard drives meant
    larger cluster sizes and resulting inefficiencies and wasted disk space.

    Ken

    "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
    permanently erased.

    Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.

    You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
    do.

    Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
    procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
    questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
    attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
    about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
    well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.

    Modem Ani

    "Modem Ani" wrote:

    > "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
    > permanently erased.
    >
    > Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
    >
    > You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
    > do.
    >
    > Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
    > procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
    > questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
    > attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
    > about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
    > well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
    >
    > Modem Ani
    >
    > "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
    > > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
    > > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q,
    > Can
    > > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
    > sharing.
    > >
    > > "0spam" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
    > > > The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to
    > format
    > > > and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Peter.
    > > > Toronto, Canada.
    > > > Windows XP Home SP2.
    > > > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > > > "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > heard

    Having seen your replies regarding partitioning I would be grateful or yor
    advice. I have just reformatted my HDD and reloaded XP. I partioned the 80GB
    into two partitions each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remaining 40GB,
    which is now unusable.
    Have tried to partition via disk management and error msg tells me it will
    not partition. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

    Thank you

    PS Ignore the careless first send!
    "Modem Ani" wrote:

    > "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
    > permanently erased.
    >
    > Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
    >
    > You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want to
    > do.
    >
    > Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
    > procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from the
    > questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
    > attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of reading
    > about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
    > well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
    >
    > Modem Ani
    >
    > "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include installed
    > > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing a
    > > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more Q,
    > Can
    > > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
    > sharing.
    > >
    > > "0spam" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Partition Magic is an excellent tool for doing this without losing data.
    > > > The other way is to reinstall Windows which gives you the option to
    > format
    > > > and repartition, but you would lose all your data.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Peter.
    > > > Toronto, Canada.
    > > > Windows XP Home SP2.
    > > > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
    > > > "xtian" <xtian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > heard

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The remaining 40 GB on your disk is very usable - it just needs to be
    partitioned. Having performed a clean install of XP, you have already
    formatted your hard disk. However, only 40 GB of your disk has been
    partitioned. To partition the balance of your hard disk, use the Disk
    Management snap-in.

    To access the Disk Management snap-in, type diskmgmt.msc into the Start -
    Run box and click OK. (You need to be logged into an account with
    Administrator privileges.) The Help and Support Center has all the
    instructions you need to get the job done.

    You may want to read about the different types of partition - primary,
    extended and logical - since you'll have to choose what type of partition or
    partitions you want to create.

    Modem Ani

    "Moffer" <Moffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Having seen your replies regarding partitioning I would be grateful or yor
    > advice. I have just reformatted my HDD and reloaded XP. I partioned the
    80GB
    > into two partitions each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remaining
    40GB,
    > which is now unusable.
    > Have tried to partition via disk management and error msg tells me it will
    > not partition. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > PS Ignore the careless first send!
    > "Modem Ani" wrote:
    >
    > > "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
    > > permanently erased.
    > >
    > > Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
    > >
    > > You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want
    > > do.
    > >
    > > Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
    > > procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from
    the
    > > questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
    > > attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of
    reading
    > > about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
    > > well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
    > >
    > > Modem Ani
    > >
    > > "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When you say "you would lose all your data" does that include
    installed
    > > > programs too? Also, is using Partition Magic at all similar to doing
    > > > System Restore using the original system disks at all? And one more
    Q,
    > > Can
    > > > you reinstall just Windows XP from the original disks? Thanks for
    > > sharing.

    > > format

    > > heard

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for that - have already tried disk management and get error msg - the
    disk configuration operation did not complete. Check the system event log for
    more information on error. Verify the status of storage devices before
    retrying ............
    This doesn't help matters as the system event log is not very forthcoming.
    Am I missing a trick or is a simple task becoming a nightmare?

    "Modem Ani" wrote:

    > The remaining 40 GB on your disk is very usable - it just needs to be
    > partitioned. Having performed a clean install of XP, you have already
    > formatted your hard disk. However, only 40 GB of your disk has been
    > partitioned. To partition the balance of your hard disk, use the Disk
    > Management snap-in.
    >
    > To access the Disk Management snap-in, type diskmgmt.msc into the Start -
    > Run box and click OK. (You need to be logged into an account with
    > Administrator privileges.) The Help and Support Center has all the
    > instructions you need to get the job done.
    >
    > You may want to read about the different types of partition - primary,
    > extended and logical - since you'll have to choose what type of partition or
    > partitions you want to create.
    >
    > Modem Ani
    >
    > "Moffer" <Moffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Having seen your replies regarding partitioning I would be grateful or yor
    > > advice. I have just reformatted my HDD and reloaded XP. I partioned the
    > 80GB
    > > into two partitions each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remaining
    > 40GB,
    > > which is now unusable.
    > > Have tried to partition via disk management and error msg tells me it will
    > > not partition. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > PS Ignore the careless first send!
    > > "Modem Ani" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "All your data" means exactly that....everything on your hard disk is
    > > > permanently erased.
    > > >
    > > > Partition Magic and System Restore accomplish entirely different things.
    > > >
    > > > You can certainly reinstall Windows over itself, if that's what you want
    > > > do.
    > > >
    > > > Let me offer you some sincere advice: Disk partitioning is an advanced
    > > > procedure. Make a mistake and you can lose everything. I can see from
    > the
    > > > questions you're asking that you are not - yet - someone who should be
    > > > attempting to partition your hard disk. Take your time, do a lot of
    > reading
    > > > about it on the internet, and when you feel sure that you understand it
    > > > well, then partition your hard disk if you want to.
    > > >
    > > > Modem Ani
    > > >
    > > > "Cpie" <Cpie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > installed
    > Q,
    > > > Can
    > > > sharing.

    > data.
    > > > format

    > > > heard
    > option
    > software

Partition Magic Microsoft Software Windows XP Product