Anno 2070

morrise001

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
So I've decided Anno 2070 is going to be my next game but I have a few questions about it. Since I can't get a hard copy and have to download it online, is there any difference in downloading from Ubisoft's website as opposed Steam? If I download from Ubisoft will it still be part of my Steam account? I've not played any of the preceding games, will that put me at a disadvantage with this one? Last of all, is there any reason why I shouldn't get Anno 2070 over Civilization V or Sim City? Any and all thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

sazza34

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Personally, I would say use the Steam version. I've heard that on Anno2070, you can have only a certain number of installs, but i doubt this is true on the steam version. Hope Ive helped :)

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I havent played a city builder since sim city 4 which was a cool game. Ive heard the latest sim city installment wasnt that great, I think they are good to abandon their roots and just keep putting out billions of sims games.

I thought about anno 2070 too as Ive had a hankerin to play a city builder and this one at least looks pretty cool.

I wouldnt even compare it to Civ 5, they are essentially 2 completely different genre's.

As far as the steam question, I pretty much just get everything on steam, if its available these days. Because its seriously a better alternative to whatever DRM you would be getting with store bought or through the publisher.

Which seriously is why I dont get steam hate (not to turn this into a steam thread)

I would rely on Steam before any other electronic game distribution system. As long as you have your steam account you can install and play the game.

By buddy have been playing this game and absolutely loves it. The graphics are pretty good to.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
To the OP:

Download it through steam if you want it in your list of games. The 'three machine activation' drm exists for the game whether its through Ubi or Steam, but that's fairly ambiguous - it could mean three machines at any one time, or three new installs on different machines. The only thing I suggest is that you uninstall before making any changes to your system, or if you buy a new system.

Anyway - I've done some research on Anno, because I thought it looked cool, but it hasn't been scoring very well, and a number of friends who have played it have said that the customisation and selection of buildings is very poor and that generally gameplay is short-lived and gets dull quickly.

Civ 5 is still pretty much the same as all the other Civs and Sim City can be fun but its getting real old.

Settlers : Rise of an empire is fun and 1701 AD is far better than Anno for city building, economy and resource management.

If anyone can suggest any better ones I'd be pleased to hear it - there's not many games like this being developed these days.

Just don't suggest stronghold. ;-)

morrise001

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Thanks for all the input thus far, I'm gonna do some more research and see what I can find out about each. If Anno 2070 doesn't have much of a lasting effect I'd rather not waste $50 on it. I just recently heard of the Tropico series and looked at Cities XL but I heard neither was worth the money. Any other suggestions as far as city builders go?

I looked at anno 2070 over the week of being sick (got to skip work and sit at home :D)

anyways, the game looks stunning, the depth to building is very nice. Multiplayer options are also available. If you are a city builder fan, I think you will like it. If you're not, might not be worth $50. I'm kind of in the same boat right now, I really want to try it (I've watched 2 hrs worth of video on the game) but $50 just for trying it and none of my friends having it so far is a bummer. Maybe there'll be a steam sale in the near future.