shield level??

Question:

I have 2 shields.
One is shield lvl 45 with str, health and agility buffs but it says that I
am slightly overqualified for it.
the other is shield lvl 12 with no buffs and it says ..you have just started
to realize......
Both are weight 4

my question is, is the benefit of the shield just represented by shield
level and buffs or is there some other quality I am not recognizing??

Thanks

Josh

Fleabus - lvl 15 crusader - Highkeep

Patrik

"Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> writes:

> Question:
>
> I have 2 shields.
> One is shield lvl 45 with str, health and agility buffs but it says that I
> am slightly overqualified for it.
> the other is shield lvl 12 with no buffs and it says ..you have just started
> to realize......
> Both are weight 4
>
> my question is, is the benefit of the shield just represented by shield
> level and buffs or is there some other quality I am not recognizing??

In EQ2, this is slightly complicated: the AC/shield factor of an item
has full effect only against mobs of the same level as the shield or
lower (level of an item is basically the Mastery skill level divided
by 5), against higher level mobs the effect is reduced. But with such
a large difference, I suspect you'll be better off with the lower
level shield for quite a few levels.

<patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
> "Josh Carter" <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> writes:
>
>> Question:
>>
>> I have 2 shields.
>> One is shield lvl 45 with str, health and agility buffs but it says that
>> am slightly overqualified for it.
>> the other is shield lvl 12 with no buffs and it says ..you have just
>> started
>> to realize......
>> Both are weight 4
>>
>> my question is, is the benefit of the shield just represented by shield
>> level and buffs or is there some other quality I am not recognizing??
>
> In EQ2, this is slightly complicated: the AC/shield factor of an item
> has full effect only against mobs of the same level as the shield or
> lower (level of an item is basically the Mastery skill level divided
> by 5), against higher level mobs the effect is reduced. But with such
> a large difference, I suspect you'll be better off with the lower
> level shield for quite a few levels.

I'm really confused now...Could you explain this again? Not taking buffs
into account, isn't the shield with higher AC always better than one with a
lower AC, assuming you can wield it?

LoonBoon

Wolfie

LoonBoon wrote:
> <patrik@nordebo.com> wrote
>> In EQ2, this is slightly complicated: the AC/shield factor of an item
>> has full effect only against mobs of the same level as the shield or
>> lower (level of an item is basically the Mastery skill level divided
>> by 5), against higher level mobs the effect is reduced. But with
>> such a large difference, I suspect you'll be better off with the
>> lower level shield for quite a few levels.
>
> I'm really confused now...Could you explain this again? Not taking
> buffs into account, isn't the shield with higher AC always better
> than one with a lower AC, assuming you can wield it?

No, not in EQ2. A high "shield factor" on a newbie shield
doesn't make it something other than a newbie shield.
Items are all level-limited -- both to a minimum level (it'd be
red) and a maximum level (when it turns grey.) An item
reaches it's maximum effectiveness when it's white (when
your skill equals the mastery skill of the item.) It works
best against mobs that level (when it's white to you) or
lower.

So you can have a *great* leather-wrapped buckler
that mobs like badgers can't get past very well. But
it'd be like tissue paper against a hill giant...