Way to manually change SATA control drivers?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Im having to replace my mobo with another. Ive been using the integrated SATA controllers on them and this new one is definately using a different controller, thus requiring new drivers. I dont wanna dump the windows partition since it has valuable data so was wondering if there is a way to manually install the new SATA controller drivers onto that same partition.

I was planning to grab my other HD and make a windows install out of it so I can access my SATA drive to install the drivers. Any ideas?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

pat

Expert
humm.. if your current motherboard has native SATA support, it will use the drive without the need for drivers.. But I doubt that you'll be able to reuse your current Windows installation... Usually, XP dont really like major hardware change..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Yeah usually I just dump the partition but there is critical data there. I could just plug it in and try loading up in safe mode and rip/reinstall the drivers but thats a guess. Could also try a windows recovery.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
Windows doesn't like it when you change the Motherboard. It's built off the HAL of the motherboard. If you have criticial data, your only option is to pop that drive into another computer as a slave.

You'll only get BSOD if you put that drive on a new motherboard.

When windows installs on a computer, it uses the HAL to determine how to install and how to control power features.