System Config Utility shows mystery startup items

I’m trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the “Startup Item� and
“Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The “Location�
column says:
“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�

Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it’s safe to
uncheck them.
6 answers Last reply
More about system config utility shows mystery startup items

    PiratePete wrote:
    > I'm trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
    > When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
    > number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the "Startup Item� and
    > "Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The "Location�
    > column says:
    > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
    >
    > Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it's safe to
    > uncheck them.

    More info is needed.
    Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)

    reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    "%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"

    (above is all one line)
    Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.

    --
    Bob Dietz

    Here it is:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Smapp"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\SoundMAX\\Smtray.exe"
    "Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"
    "Mouse Suite 98 Daemon"="ICO.EXE"
    "Hot Key Kbd Daemon"="SKDAEMON.EXE"
    "NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize"
    "ATIPTA"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control
    Panel\\atiptaxx.exe"
    @=""
    "ATICCC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\cli.exe\" runtime"
    "TweakMASTER"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\TWEAKM~1\\TMTray.exe"
    "Zone Labs Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""
    "dla"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dla\\tfswctrl.exe"
    "Rapid Restore"="C:\\Program Files\\Xpoint\\PE\\Skin\\rrpcsb.exe"
    "ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
    "Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe"
    "gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
    "HPDJ Taskbar
    Utility"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\3\\hpztsb09.exe"
    "HPHUPD05"="c:\\Program
    Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\\\{5372B9A6-6E51-4f90-9B40-E0A3B8475C4E}\\hphupd05.exe"
    "HP Component Manager"="\"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\hpcoretech\\hpcmpmgr.exe\""
    "HPHmon05"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hphmon05.exe"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
    "Installed"="1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
    "Installed"="1"
    "NoChange"="1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
    "Installed"="1"

    The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
    support for a video card that has since been replaced.

    Hope you can make sense of the above.

    Thanks in advance.

    "Bob Dietz" wrote:

    > PiratePete wrote:
    > > I’m trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
    > > When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
    > > number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the “Startup Item� and
    > > “Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The “Location�
    > > column says:
    > > “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
    > >
    > > Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it’s safe to
    > > uncheck them.
    > >

    > More info is needed.
    > Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
    >
    > reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > "%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
    >
    > (above is all one line)
    > Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Dietz

    Interspersed below I've identified each item. I'd guess that the blanked
    out items are ones like *"Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"* that don't include
    the full path? To see these try SysInternals Autoruns
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

    --
    Bob Dietz

    PiratePete wrote:
    > Here it is:
    >
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

    > "Smapp"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\SoundMAX\\Smtray.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-smtray.exe.html
    "System Tray access for the Compaq/ADI SoundMAX integrated digital audio
    controller." User choice/not required.

    > "Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-promon.exe.html
    "System Tray icon for Intel PRO series ethernet adapters giving access
    to the diagnostic features" User choice/not required.

    > "Mouse Suite 98 Daemon"="ICO.EXE"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-ICO.EXE.html
    "Found on a Sony Vaio laptop and seems to be related to Mouse Suite 98
    Daemon according to the properties. Appears to cause a behaviour where
    the desktop suddenly flips back up when playing DirectX associated
    games" User choice/not required.

    > "Hot Key Kbd Daemon"="SKDAEMON.EXE"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-SKDAEMON.EXE.html
    "Multi-function keyboard driver. Allows the use of programmable keys on
    mulimedia keyboards. Required if you use the additional keys" User
    choice/not required.

    > "NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-rundll32.exe.html
    "System Tray icon used to manage settings for nVidia based graphics
    cards. May be required for some 3D applications to recognize your card
    correctly - such as the game "Everquest". Otherwise, settings can be
    changed manually via Display Properties" User choice/not required.

    > "ATIPTA"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control
    > Panel\\atiptaxx.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-atiptaxx.exe.html
    "Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such
    features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start
    -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they
    have optimised their settings"

    > @=""
    Normal default value for this key.

    > "ATICCC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\cli.exe\" runtime"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-cli.exe.html
    "ATI's CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER. Required if you want to change graphics
    settings on a regular basis but you must have internet access and
    Microsoft's .NET framework installed. Note that this has "runtime"
    appended to cli.exe in the "Command" column of MSCONFIG. If not you can
    start the program manually via Start -> Programs -> ATI Catalyst Control
    Center -> Advanced -> Restart Runtime"

    > "TweakMASTER"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\TWEAKM~1\\TMTray.exe"
    Nothing really conclusive on this one
    http://www.google.com/search?q=TMTray.exe
    http://www.google.com/search?q=TweakMASTER

    > "Zone Labs Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-zlclient.exe.html
    "Firewall program from Zonelabs. Pro version inlcudes other online
    security options" Required. Don't disable.

    > "dla"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dla\\tfswctrl.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-tfswctrl.exe.html
    'Drive letter access to HP's and Veritas' version of DirectCD. Does the
    same thing as DirectCD. From HP - "This is a needed file as it controles
    the readability of the Combo drives. Without this file loading the end
    user will be able to burn CD's but wont be able to read them. The drive
    itself will be able to read store bought master Cd's without the file
    but not burnt ones"' Required.

    > "Rapid Restore"="C:\\Program Files\\Xpoint\\PE\\Skin\\rrpcsb.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-rrpcsb.exe.html
    'XPoint "Rapid Restore PC" - a "Managed Recovery™ solution that enables
    IT Administrators to protect the corporate image, while offloading
    personal data backup and recovery chores to the end user"' User
    choice/not required.

    > "ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-ccApp.exe.html
    "Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not
    function without this" Required. Don't disable.

    > "Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe"
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-SNDMon.exe.html
    "Part of Symantec's LiveUpate (eg, Norton). Not required if you run
    manual upadtes but probably require if you leave them to run
    automatically. Also, if one runs a small office network and SNDMon is
    disabled on one of the computers – then other computers disappear from
    the network for this computer, including shared devices like printers
    and scanners." User choice.

    > "gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
    Part of GIANT/MS AntiSpyware. Required.

    > "HPDJ Taskbar
    > Utility"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\3\\hpztsb09.exe"
    from http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_h.htm
    "Background print job spooling tasks associated with some HP DeskJet
    printers (eg. DJ-930C, DJ-990C, DJ‑3580). This task also displays an
    icon in the System Tray called the HP Toolbox which enables the end-user
    to do various things such as cleaning the heads, aligning the heads,
    checking the ink level, etc...

    Recommendation :
    Essential under most versions of Windows – leave alone. Under Windows
    2000/XP, however, it is no longer essential to printing as, as long as
    the "Print Spooler� service is enabled (which it always is by
    default), printing to the printer will be fine. It then becomes a
    matter of preference as to whether you want to have the HP Toolbox in
    your System Tray or not. If you choose to disable it, you can do so
    with The Ultimate Troubleshooter."

    > "HPHUPD05"="c:\\Program
    > Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\\\{5372B9A6-6E51-4f90-9B40-E0A3B8475C4E}\\hphupd05.exe"
    from
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/hphupd05/
    " hphupd05.exe is a process belonging to the HP Photosmart application
    and is responsible for keeping this software upto date. This program is
    non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be
    terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

    > "HP Component Manager"="\"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\hpcoretech\\hpcmpmgr.exe\""
    from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-hpcmpmgr.exe.html
    'Checks the internet for updated drivers/utilities for your HP product -
    update manually. Disabling will remove the error "Windows can't shutdown
    the computer because hpcmpmgr.exe can't be ended"'

    > "HPHmon05"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hphmon05.exe"
    from
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/hphmon05/
    " hphmon05.exe is a process relating to the Hewlett Packard software HP
    Photosmart, and provides easy access to flash card reading functions.
    This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but
    should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
    > "Installed"="1"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
    > "Installed"="1"
    > "NoChange"="1"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
    > "Installed"="1"
    >
    > The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
    > support for a video card that has since been replaced.
    >
    > Hope you can make sense of the above.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > "Bob Dietz" wrote:
    >

    >>PiratePete wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
    >>>When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
    >>>number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the "Startup Item� and
    >>>"Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The "Location�
    >>>column says:
    >>>"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it's safe to
    >>>uncheck them.
    >>>

    >>More info is needed.
    >>Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
    >>
    >>reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>"%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
    >>
    >>(above is all one line)
    >>Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Bob Dietz

    Whow; you went to a lot of trouble; much more than I expected. Thanks.

    "Bob Dietz" wrote:

> [...]
    > > "Installed"="1"
    > >
    > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
    > > "Installed"="1"
    > > "NoChange"="1"
    > >
    > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
    > > "Installed"="1"
    > >
    > > The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
    > > support for a video card that has since been replaced.
    > >
    > > Hope you can make sense of the above.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > >>More info is needed.
    > >>Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
    > >>
    > >>reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >>"%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
    > >>
    > >>(above is all one line)
    > >>Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.

    You're welcome, but due to how I have Firefox configured, probably a
    whole lot less trouble than you think. :)

    --
    Bob Dietz

    PiratePete wrote:
> [...]
    >>Photosmart, and provides easy access to flash card reading functions.
    >>This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but
    >>should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."
    >>

    >>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
    >>>
    >>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
    >>>"Installed"="1"
    >>>
    >>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
    >>>"Installed"="1"
    >>>"NoChange"="1"
    >>>
    >>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
    >>>"Installed"="1"
    >>>
    >>>The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
    >>>support for a video card that has since been replaced.

    Try this free program http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrol.html or spybot.
    Tom

    "PiratePete" <PiratePete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
    > When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see
    > number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the "Startup Item" and
    > "Command" columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The
    > "Location"
    > column says:
    > "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run."
    >
    > Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it's safe to
    > uncheck them.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP