System Config Utility shows mystery startup items

February 18, 2005 12:29:09 PM

I’m trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the “Startup Item� and
“Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The “Location�
column says:
“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�

Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it’s safe to
uncheck them.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:04:04 PM

PiratePete wrote:
> I'm trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
> When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
> number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the "Startup Item� and
> "Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The "Location�
> column says:
> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
>
> Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it's safe to
> uncheck them.

More info is needed.
Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)

reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
"%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"

(above is all one line)
Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.

--
Bob Dietz
Anonymous

Here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Smapp"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\SoundMAX\\Smtray.exe"
"Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"
"Mouse Suite 98 Daemon"="ICO.EXE"
"Hot Key Kbd Daemon"="SKDAEMON.EXE"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize"
"ATIPTA"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control
Panel\\atiptaxx.exe"
@=""
"ATICCC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\cli.exe\" runtime"
"TweakMASTER"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\TWEAKM~1\\TMTray.exe"
"Zone Labs Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""
"dla"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dla\\tfswctrl.exe"
"Rapid Restore"="C:\\Program Files\\Xpoint\\PE\\Skin\\rrpcsb.exe"
"ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe"
"gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
"HPDJ Taskbar
Utility"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\3\\hpztsb09.exe"
"HPHUPD05"="c:\\Program
Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\\\{5372B9A6-6E51-4f90-9B40-E0A3B8475C4E}\\hphupd05.exe"
"HP Component Manager"="\"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\hpcoretech\\hpcmpmgr.exe\""
"HPHmon05"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hphmon05.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
support for a video card that has since been replaced.

Hope you can make sense of the above.

Thanks in advance.

"Bob Dietz" wrote:

> PiratePete wrote:
> > I’m trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
> > When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
> > number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the “Startup Item� and
> > “Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The “Location�
> > column says:
> > “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
> >
> > Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it’s safe to
> > uncheck them.
> >

> More info is needed.
> Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
>
> reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> "%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
>
> (above is all one line)
> Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.
>
> --
> Bob Dietz

February 18, 2005 6:37:19 PM

Interspersed below I've identified each item. I'd guess that the blanked
out items are ones like *"Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"* that don't include
the full path? To see these try SysInternals Autoruns
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.sht...

--
Bob Dietz

PiratePete wrote:
> Here it is:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

> "Smapp"="C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\SoundMAX\\Smtray.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-smtray.exe.html
"System Tray access for the Compaq/ADI SoundMAX integrated digital audio
controller." User choice/not required.

> "Promon.exe"="Promon.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-promon.exe.html
"System Tray icon for Intel PRO series ethernet adapters giving access
to the diagnostic features" User choice/not required.

> "Mouse Suite 98 Daemon"="ICO.EXE"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-ICO.EXE.html
"Found on a Sony Vaio laptop and seems to be related to Mouse Suite 98
Daemon according to the properties. Appears to cause a behaviour where
the desktop suddenly flips back up when playing DirectX associated
games" User choice/not required.

> "Hot Key Kbd Daemon"="SKDAEMON.EXE"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-SKDAEMON.EXE.html
"Multi-function keyboard driver. Allows the use of programmable keys on
mulimedia keyboards. Required if you use the additional keys" User
choice/not required.

> "NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-rundll32.exe.html
"System Tray icon used to manage settings for nVidia based graphics
cards. May be required for some 3D applications to recognize your card
correctly - such as the game "Everquest". Otherwise, settings can be
changed manually via Display Properties" User choice/not required.

> "ATIPTA"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control
> Panel\\atiptaxx.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-atiptaxx.exe.html
"Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such
features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start
-> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they
have optimised their settings"

> @=""
Normal default value for this key.

> "ATICCC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\cli.exe\" runtime"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-cli.exe.html
"ATI's CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER. Required if you want to change graphics
settings on a regular basis but you must have internet access and
Microsoft's .NET framework installed. Note that this has "runtime"
appended to cli.exe in the "Command" column of MSCONFIG. If not you can
start the program manually via Start -> Programs -> ATI Catalyst Control
Center -> Advanced -> Restart Runtime"

> "TweakMASTER"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\TWEAKM~1\\TMTray.exe"
Nothing really conclusive on this one
http://www.google.com/search?q=TMTray.exe
http://www.google.com/search?q=TweakMASTER

> "Zone Labs Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Zone Labs\\ZoneAlarm\\zlclient.exe\""
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-zlclient.exe.html
"Firewall program from Zonelabs. Pro version inlcudes other online
security options" Required. Don't disable.

> "dla"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dla\\tfswctrl.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-tfswctrl.exe.html
'Drive letter access to HP's and Veritas' version of DirectCD. Does the
same thing as DirectCD. From HP - "This is a needed file as it controles
the readability of the Combo drives. Without this file loading the end
user will be able to burn CD's but wont be able to read them. The drive
itself will be able to read store bought master Cd's without the file
but not burnt ones"' Required.

> "Rapid Restore"="C:\\Program Files\\Xpoint\\PE\\Skin\\rrpcsb.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-rrpcsb.exe.html
'XPoint "Rapid Restore PC" - a "Managed Recovery™ solution that enables
IT Administrators to protect the corporate image, while offloading
personal data backup and recovery chores to the end user"' User
choice/not required.

> "ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-ccApp.exe.html
"Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not
function without this" Required. Don't disable.

> "Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe"
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-SNDMon.exe.html
"Part of Symantec's LiveUpate (eg, Norton). Not required if you run
manual upadtes but probably require if you leave them to run
automatically. Also, if one runs a small office network and SNDMon is
disabled on one of the computers – then other computers disappear from
the network for this computer, including shared devices like printers
and scanners." User choice.

> "gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
Part of GIANT/MS AntiSpyware. Required.

> "HPDJ Taskbar
> Utility"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\3\\hpztsb09.exe"
from http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...
"Background print job spooling tasks associated with some HP DeskJet
printers (eg. DJ-930C, DJ-990C, DJ‑3580). This task also displays an
icon in the System Tray called the HP Toolbox which enables the end-user
to do various things such as cleaning the heads, aligning the heads,
checking the ink level, etc...

Recommendation :
Essential under most versions of Windows – leave alone. Under Windows
2000/XP, however, it is no longer essential to printing as, as long as
the "Print Spooler� service is enabled (which it always is by
default), printing to the printer will be fine. It then becomes a
matter of preference as to whether you want to have the HP Toolbox in
your System Tray or not. If you choose to disable it, you can do so
with The Ultimate Troubleshooter."

> "HPHUPD05"="c:\\Program
> Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\\\{5372B9A6-6E51-4f90-9B40-E0A3B8475C4E}\\hphupd05.exe"
from
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
" hphupd05.exe is a process belonging to the HP Photosmart application
and is responsible for keeping this software upto date. This program is
non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be
terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

> "HP Component Manager"="\"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\hpcoretech\\hpcmpmgr.exe\""
from http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-hpcmpmgr.exe.html
'Checks the internet for updated drivers/utilities for your HP product -
update manually. Disabling will remove the error "Windows can't shutdown
the computer because hpcmpmgr.exe can't be ended"'

> "HPHmon05"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hphmon05.exe"
from
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...
" hphmon05.exe is a process relating to the Hewlett Packard software HP
Photosmart, and provides easy access to flash card reading functions.
This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but
should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
> "Installed"="1"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
> "Installed"="1"
> "NoChange"="1"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
> "Installed"="1"
>
> The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
> support for a video card that has since been replaced.
>
> Hope you can make sense of the above.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> "Bob Dietz" wrote:
>

>>PiratePete wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to sort through all the accumulated dreck that runs at startup.
>>>When I click on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility a see a
>>>number of lines where absolutely nothing appears in the "Startup Item� and
>>>"Command� columns, but the line is checked to run at startup. The "Location�
>>>column says:
>>>"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.�
>>>
>>>Any ideas what these mystery items are, and whether or not it's safe to
>>>uncheck them.
>>>

>>More info is needed.
>>Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
>>
>>reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>>"%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
>>
>>(above is all one line)
>>Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.
>>
>>--
>>Bob Dietz

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:37:20 PM

Whow; you went to a lot of trouble; much more than I expected. Thanks.

"Bob Dietz" wrote:

> [...]
> > "Installed"="1"
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
> > "Installed"="1"
> > "NoChange"="1"
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
> > "Installed"="1"
> >
> > The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
> > support for a video card that has since been replaced.
> >
> > Hope you can make sense of the above.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> >>More info is needed.
> >>Paste the following line into the Run box (eg. START> Run...)
> >>
> >>reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> >>"%userprofile%\desktop\hklm_run.txt"
> >>
> >>(above is all one line)
> >>Copy the contents of hklm_run.txt into your next message.

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:43:21 PM

You're welcome, but due to how I have Firefox configured, probably a
whole lot less trouble than you think. :)

--
Bob Dietz

PiratePete wrote:
> [...]
>>Photosmart, and provides easy access to flash card reading functions.
>>This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but
>>should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."
>>

>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
>>>
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
>>>"Installed"="1"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
>>>"Installed"="1"
>>>"NoChange"="1"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
>>>"Installed"="1"
>>>
>>>The only thing that jumps out at me is "NvCplDaemon", which looks like
>>>support for a video card that has since been replaced.

February 19, 2005 2:42:47 PM

Try this free program http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrol.html or spybot.
Tom

!