Another IE freeze-up problem (XP HE)

My problem sounds similar to those others have posted about recently:

1. Pop-ups jam the system so I have to reboot (whether AOL's pop-up blocker
is on or off). As long as the blue bar on top reads "America Online 9.0
Security...." all is well, but as soon as an ad causes the blue bar to read
"Internet Explorer..." I'm stuck.

2. Clicking Internet Explorer from the Start menu causes the about:blank
screen to appear v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly, replacing the desktop screen piece by
piece, then hangs things up so I have to reboot.

3. Trying to view a photo that requires IE also hangs me up so I have to
reboot.

I subscribe to Norton, which scans weekly, run Spybot regularly, and there
are the security features (Macafee, spy catcher) that come with AOL's
Security Edition. None has ever come up with anything particularly
evil-sounding.

I'm afraid I've tried Restoring earlier systems so often I'm thoroughly
confused about what works--some seem to work at first, then go bad.

Can I, and should I, reinstall just IE, without reinstalling all of Windows?
How?

Is it significant that in three folders I've encountered a file named
thumbs.db? I have no idea how it got there, and when I go to delete it, I'm
told bad things may happen if I do. Is it significant that my desktop has
shifted to the left (white strip down left edge, Start button slightly
off-screen)? Or are my real problems making me paranoid?
2 answers Last reply
More about another freeze problem

    Go here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html and download AdAware.
    Install it, force it to update run a scan.
    Also, make sure you're keeping Spybot up to date *before* scanning.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My problem sounds similar to those others have posted about recently:
    >
    > 1. Pop-ups jam the system so I have to reboot (whether AOL's pop-up
    > blocker
    > is on or off). As long as the blue bar on top reads "America Online 9.0
    > Security...." all is well, but as soon as an ad causes the blue bar to
    > read
    > "Internet Explorer..." I'm stuck.
    >
    > 2. Clicking Internet Explorer from the Start menu causes the about:blank
    > screen to appear v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly, replacing the desktop screen piece by
    > piece, then hangs things up so I have to reboot.
    >
    > 3. Trying to view a photo that requires IE also hangs me up so I have to
    > reboot.
    >
    > I subscribe to Norton, which scans weekly, run Spybot regularly, and there
    > are the security features (Macafee, spy catcher) that come with AOL's
    > Security Edition. None has ever come up with anything particularly
    > evil-sounding.
    >
    > I'm afraid I've tried Restoring earlier systems so often I'm thoroughly
    > confused about what works--some seem to work at first, then go bad.
    >
    > Can I, and should I, reinstall just IE, without reinstalling all of
    > Windows?
    > How?
    >
    > Is it significant that in three folders I've encountered a file named
    > thumbs.db? I have no idea how it got there, and when I go to delete it,
    > I'm
    > told bad things may happen if I do. Is it significant that my desktop has
    > shifted to the left (white strip down left edge, Start button slightly
    > off-screen)? Or are my real problems making me paranoid?

    You likely have not one, not two, but TONS of spyware/adware on your
    computer. To prevent this:

    1) Read the license agreement before installing--OK, there's nobody I'm
    fooling with that, but at least skim through it and see if it bundles any
    additional software.
    2) Install Anti-spyware AND Anti-virus and keep them up to date. UPDATE
    THE SOFTWARE _*BEFORE*_ YOU SCAN! Updating it after the scan is pointless.
    3a PREFEERED) Because IE runs especially slow, most of your spyware
    probably came from IE. Download Mozilla Firefox at http://mozilla.org. The
    website will also tell you all about it. There is no known spyware that
    targets Firefox. However, you are still at risk for software spyware, which
    can be avoided simply by reading the license agreement.
    3b) Secure IE. Go to Internet Options and click the Security tab and then
    click Custom. Look at all the options and use the help button (located next
    to the close button) to get information about the option. Decide whether to
    enable it or not. If you don't want to disable it outright, then choose
    Prompt if there is an option. IE will prompt you if you want to run what
    the webpage runs for you. Remeber: It's better not to be able to visit a
    few sites than to get your computer all slowed down.

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My problem sounds similar to those others have posted about recently:
    >
    > 1. Pop-ups jam the system so I have to reboot (whether AOL's pop-up
    > blocker
    > is on or off). As long as the blue bar on top reads "America Online 9.0
    > Security...." all is well, but as soon as an ad causes the blue bar to
    > read
    > "Internet Explorer..." I'm stuck.
    >
    > 2. Clicking Internet Explorer from the Start menu causes the about:blank
    > screen to appear v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly, replacing the desktop screen piece by
    > piece, then hangs things up so I have to reboot.
    >
    > 3. Trying to view a photo that requires IE also hangs me up so I have to
    > reboot.
    >
    > I subscribe to Norton, which scans weekly, run Spybot regularly, and there
    > are the security features (Macafee, spy catcher) that come with AOL's
    > Security Edition. None has ever come up with anything particularly
    > evil-sounding.
    >
    > I'm afraid I've tried Restoring earlier systems so often I'm thoroughly
    > confused about what works--some seem to work at first, then go bad.
    >
    > Can I, and should I, reinstall just IE, without reinstalling all of
    > Windows?
    > How?
    >
    > Is it significant that in three folders I've encountered a file named
    > thumbs.db? I have no idea how it got there, and when I go to delete it,
    > I'm
    > told bad things may happen if I do. Is it significant that my desktop has
    > shifted to the left (white strip down left edge, Start button slightly
    > off-screen)? Or are my real problems making me paranoid?

Internet Explorer Windows XP