Which protocol?

Our computer club is getting ready to install a wireless network setup in
the building we use. Range to furtherst point probably less than 100 ft.
Maybe 5 or 6 computers using the network for classes etc. etc. etc.

What is the best / fastest / latest / most robust (?) protocol?
1 answer Last reply
More about which protocol

    "az-willie" <sclause@npole.com> wrote in message
    > Our computer club is getting ready to install a wireless network
    setup in
    > the building we use. Range to furtherst point probably less than 100
    ft.
    > Maybe 5 or 6 computers using the network for classes etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > What is the best / fastest / latest / most robust (?) protocol?

    Well, you have a few choices. 802.11G uses 2.4ghz spectrum and has
    speeds up to 54mbs.
    This is a good choice if there are not alot of 2.4ghz interference or
    other networks in the area.

    802.11a uses the 5ghz band and is less crowded and a bit less
    susceptible to interference
    due to phones, microwaves, baby monitors and the like. It is also
    54mbs. All devices
    must be 802.11a capable.

    Pre-802.11n technolgy by Belkin is rumored to be very good and has
    speeds up to 108mbs.
    Although all devices must be Belkin pre-n for true performance.

    There are 802.11 Super and Turbo G products on the market that boast
    speeds up to 108
    but then again, every device must be Super G or Turbo G capable or
    they will all run at 54mbs
    of less.

    Thats it!

Wireless Network Wireless Networking