Zalman Reveals Z9 Line of Mid-Tower Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Can't understand what appears to be big holes in a giant slanted area of metal mesh on the side which would allow lots of dust to go through... Two fans won't cover that up.

And 7 places to put fans, seriously? Can anyone say leafblower? I rather have a few of those places covered up so less dust would have the opportunity to get inside my case. If someone used all 7 slots for fans, I wonder how many of the intakes are going to be unfiltered air.

[citation][nom]juncture[/nom]Can't understand what appears to be big holes in a giant slanted area of metal mesh on the side which would allow lots of dust to go through... Two fans won't cover that up. And 7 places to put fans, seriously? Can anyone say leafblower? I rather have a few of those places covered up so less dust would have the opportunity to get inside my case. If someone used all 7 slots for fans, I wonder how many of the intakes are going to be unfiltered air.[/citation]

7 fans is not as loud as you might think. I have a old PC my fiance uses in a Thermaltake Xaser III which has 7 80mm fans. Added with the 2 PSU fans, CPU fan and GPU fan thats 11 total and its quieter than some single fan setups I have seen.

Its all about the fans you put in it as well as the material its made of. If the material is sturdy then the sound wont be so bad. If its flimsy then the sounds will push out.

Not a bad look. I actually went to their site and found that they have a new HSF that looks pretty nice and will look good in that case. The 9900Max.

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]7 fans is not as loud as you might think.

If the material is sturdy then the sound wont be so bad. [/citation]

All 7 are 120mm in this case. Bigger fans generally move more air (at least i thought that was the point of bigger fans), which means more air collides with objects inside of case and produce noise.

I thought the material would have to be sound dampening and more enclosure of the case(very little openings) for a quiet case. Not sure I understand how sturdiness keeps noise in since I don't see cases being moved by the fans inside it.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]juncture[/nom]All 7 are 120mm in this case. Bigger fans generally move more air (at least i thought that was the point of bigger fans), which means more air collides with objects inside of case and produce noise.I thought the material would have to be sound dampening and more enclosure of the case(very little openings) for a quiet case. Not sure I understand how sturdiness keeps noise in since I don't see cases being moved by the fans inside it.[/citation]
Well, I did some research about fans when I bought my case (a while ago, a Thermaltake Xaser V. What I found out is that the cases that come with bigger fans USUALLY (not always) comes with fans that are slower and if you see the amount of air they move (CFM) is just slightly greater than smaller fans (and most fall between 80mm and 120mm though now you'll find cases with 140mm and some cases even have holes to change the sizes of the fans if you want) but their RPM is much lower so they produce less noise to move the same amount of air. Usually the 120mm fans fall between 1000-2000rpm, and the 80mm between 1500-3000rpm. In the end the ultimate choice is made by the user, 'cause you can find case fans of just about any size and any speed, and might end up changing the fans of the case for more airflow (more speed and CFM) or for less noise (less speed and CFM)

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]...but their RPM is much lower so they produce less noise to move the same amount of air. [/citation] If you're correlating RPM to decibels, you have to be aware that good fans rest on a very low friction axle to minimize mechanism noise. What would be making the majority of noise if that's the case? I think the answer is the amount of moving air and how it collides with itself and objects by the design of the fan blades because air is physical matter after all. For example, a blade that is flat and surface is gritty like sandpaper would produce more noisy friction with air when turned than a blade that gradually directs air in a particular direction and has a smooth surface.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]juncture[/nom]I think the answer is the amount of moving air and how it collides with itself and objects by the design of the fan blades because air is physical matter after all.[/citation]
Well, yeah, there are fans that are specially designed to have those features, but no matter how well designed it is, look at fans of different speeds and their reviews and you'll find that no matter how special the fans are (e.g. there are fans that the motor is smaller so there is more space for longer blades to "move more air"), in the end the speed is very important. for 80mm fans, I'd say that above 3500RPM they are noisy. also keep in mind that case makers want to keep their costs low and often you find either generic fans or fans that they make, too, for example Thermaltake cases have thermaltake fans. It's true that depending of the objects you have in front of the fans affects the sound of it. in my case, the protector of the rear fan is "bubbled" and it creates more noise is you put fans that go at higher speeds, no matter how silenced are the fans. so in the end is both. though I still tend to think more of the importance of the speed. no matter how well designed a fan is, @6000RPM is gonna be loud, specially if it's big. if you know and have tested special fans with special blades, please quote them, I'd be interested to search more about them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.