What's the word on Biostar motherboards?

G

Heya folks. :)

I've got a question. I'm still piecing together the new computer - and I'm getting close to being done, but I still have yet to pick up the motherboard and CPU. I'm thinking I'd like to go with a PIII Tualatin, and hoping that another price cut is on the way. :)

I've found a motherboard that seems to have everything that I want. It supports the Tualatin, can address lots of RAM for my soundcard, and even has an ISA slot so I can grandfather my modem in.

I'm not crazy about the idea of having a motherboard with onboard sound, but otherwise it seems perfect.

The problem? It's a Biostar, which I have no experience with, it's a VIA chipset, which I also have no experience with, and it's just $59, which is way less than I'm used to paying for a motherboard - so I'm skeptical.

Here's the board.

http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=517&sid=1gi2Ty0HXMMK2LO

What do you folks think? What's your take on this board?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
can't say anything about this board specifically but my old biostar p-2 233 is still up and running.. never had any compatibilty problems etc and they do have fair support last I looked on their website ( I was able to use their bios update to go from udma 33 support to udma 66 a year or so ago) I have an asus board in my p-3 but for 60 bux if you are not big on OC'ing it might be a good and economical choice

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>