Could someone tell me if defragging a HD has an effect on how long it takes
for a web page to come up? I was thinking that it only had an affect on the
amount of time that a pc tries to find local files, but now I'm thinking
otherwise. It seems that since I'm going thru the process of defragging my
PC, websites are starting to develop noticeably quicker now. I'm using
Diskeeper and it's taking forever. (It's doing very small portions of the HD
everytime I run it)
Is it just a coincidence or is the defragging process actually having an
affect on this?
THANX N ADVANCE. The Rookie/Wayne B.

Unless the HD structure is severely fragmented, defragging has little
noticeable impact on performance.
If only very indirectly affects file searches since that's a directory only
thing.

--
Walter Clayton

MrCmosDriver wrote:

>Could someone tell me if defragging a HD has an effect on how long it takes
>for a web page to come up? I was thinking that it only had an affect on the
>amount of time that a pc tries to find local files, but now I'm thinking
>otherwise. It seems that since I'm going thru the process of defragging my
>PC, websites are starting to develop noticeably quicker now. I'm using
>Diskeeper and it's taking forever. (It's doing very small portions of the HD
>everytime I run it)
> Is it just a coincidence or is the defragging process actually having an
>affect on this?
> THANX N ADVANCE. The Rookie/Wayne B.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the defragging is going
to help you to the extent that websites are loading from your hard
drive. When IE loads a website, it first checks to see if the files
it needs are in the Temporary Internet File. If the files are not
already there, then it downloads them to the TIF from the website you
are visiting and continue to reside there until they are removed or
the cache becomes full. As long as the files are loading from the
TIF, they will load faster if they are defragmented.

Ken

If you're seeing a significant difference, that suggests to me that your
browser cache may be too large. Assuming that Internet Explorer is your
default browser -
Control Panel> Internet Options> General (tab)> Settings...>

If you have cable/dsl, set "Amount of disk space to use:" somewhere from
3-20MB. If you're on dial-up, set "Amount of disk space to use:"
somewhere from 6-50MB. The exact best setting depends on personal usage,
but these are a good starting ranges.

--
Bob Dietz