Winxp real slow for some reason

I recently put in a new motherboard and had to repair my windows xp install.
well after I did this I found that it worked mostly and all my programs are
still here and
I can use the internet still but now windows for some reason will now take 3
minuets to
load and it runs like an snail.
Does any one have any ideas what happend an how to fix it?
I need my computer to act like a 1.2ghz and not like a 500mhz.

Also the motherboard is configured correctly for my cpu wich is a
AMD AthlonXP 1800+.

HELP

Are you sure the jumpers are set right on the mother board.
I built a couple computers with and boards and they were both not jumperd
right from factory, ran about half speed. had to ghange myself.

--
Carl G
"xpuser" <xpuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently put in a new motherboard and had to repair my windows xp
>install.
> well after I did this I found that it worked mostly and all my programs
> are
> still here and
> I can use the internet still but now windows for some reason will now take
> 3
> minuets to
> load and it runs like an snail.
> Does any one have any ideas what happend an how to fix it?
> I need my computer to act like a 1.2ghz and not like a 500mhz.
>
> Also the motherboard is configured correctly for my cpu wich is a
> AMD AthlonXP 1800+.
>
> HELP

A few of ideas:

1. Check your hard drive speed. Does it correspond to the rating on the
hard drive (e.g., DMA6), or is it a lot lower? If lower, perhaps some sort
of generic drivers are being used, instad of those appropriate for the disk
controllers on your new motherboard. You might also try copying a file of
some same (100 Meg or more) and then do the same on some other computer that
you feel is similar, but faster. Or, get a disk-speed testing routine. I
think that Sisoftware's Sandra can test speed. Or, fresh diagnose by fresh
devices.

2. Check to be sure that the RAM is matched to the motherboard. A
motherboard usually has a small range of RAM speeds that it can handle.

3. Ditto for the CPU. You might want to check the CPU speed as seen by XP.
Again, the same speed testers that work on disks usually have an option to
test CPU and RAM.

4. Check startup and background services. Start --> run --> msconfig, then
look at the startup and services tabs. Is anything "extra" listed. Note:
be careful not to turn off services by Microsoft, unless you do some
additinal research, such as on Black Viper's website.

5. Also run the XP task manager (single CRTL-ALT-DEL) and see what is
running and particularly what is using CPU cycles while the PC seems slow.

5. Is your virus scanner configured to scan continuously? If so, change
that to scan on access. Of course, do a full system scan at least once a
week, whenever you are not actively using the PC.

6. Is CHKDSK set to run at startup? If so, turn that off an run it
manually once a week or so, or after any crash or power failure. (It will
usually turn on automatially after any abnormal shutdown.)