Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD drives will not install (code 37)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

System is WinXP Pro+SP2, Athlon XP2000+ (1.67GHz), Microstar MS-6593 mobo,
single 40GB hard disk as master on primary IDE channel, ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI
graphics card, PCI sound card.

User had an IDE CD-RW drive working fine as secondary master. One day it
failed to show up in Windows Explorer, though it continued to be detected OK
by the BIOS. The hard disk seems absolutely fine and boots Windows without
any other problem.

Device Manager shows the device with the yellow (!) and states "Windows
cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)".

I have tried different and known good CD drives on both primary and
secondary channels, changed IDE cables, removed and reinstalled the channel
controllers, blown the dust out of the thing, but still any CD drive shows up
with the Code 37 error and is not allocated a drive letter or listed in
Explorer or in Disk Management.

I wonder whether this is a Windows issue or a motherboard/chipset/BIOS
issue. I am about to try installing WinXP on a clean hard disk to determine
this but if any of you have seen this before or have any suggestions I'd be
grateful :) 

Regards,
John Lynch

More about : drives install code

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

PC Wizard wrote:
> System is WinXP Pro+SP2, Athlon XP2000+ (1.67GHz), Microstar MS-6593
> mobo, single 40GB hard disk as master on primary IDE channel, ATI 3D
> Rage Pro PCI graphics card, PCI sound card.
>
> User had an IDE CD-RW drive working fine as secondary master. One
> day it failed to show up in Windows Explorer, though it continued to
> be detected OK by the BIOS. The hard disk seems absolutely fine and
> boots Windows without any other problem.
>
> Device Manager shows the device with the yellow (!) and states
> "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code
> 37)".
>
> I have tried different and known good CD drives on both primary and
> secondary channels, changed IDE cables, removed and reinstalled the
> channel controllers, blown the dust out of the thing, but still any
> CD drive shows up with the Code 37 error and is not allocated a drive
> letter or listed in Explorer or in Disk Management.
>
> I wonder whether this is a Windows issue or a motherboard/chipset/BIOS
> issue. I am about to try installing WinXP on a clean hard disk to
> determine this but if any of you have seen this before or have any
> suggestions I'd be grateful :) 


Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.


Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:51:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> PC Wizard wrote:
> > System is WinXP Pro+SP2, Athlon XP2000+ (1.67GHz), Microstar MS-6593
> > mobo, single 40GB hard disk as master on primary IDE channel, ATI 3D
> > Rage Pro PCI graphics card, PCI sound card.
> >
> > User had an IDE CD-RW drive working fine as secondary master. One
> > day it failed to show up in Windows Explorer, though it continued to
> > be detected OK by the BIOS. The hard disk seems absolutely fine and
> > boots Windows without any other problem.
> >
> > Device Manager shows the device with the yellow (!) and states
> > "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code
> > 37)".
> >
> > I have tried different and known good CD drives on both primary and
> > secondary channels, changed IDE cables, removed and reinstalled the
> > channel controllers, blown the dust out of the thing, but still any
> > CD drive shows up with the Code 37 error and is not allocated a drive
> > letter or listed in Explorer or in Disk Management.
> >
> > I wonder whether this is a Windows issue or a motherboard/chipset/BIOS
> > issue. I am about to try installing WinXP on a clean hard disk to
> > determine this but if any of you have seen this before or have any
> > suggestions I'd be grateful :) 
>
>
> Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
> It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
> Respect the registry, don't fear it.
>
> 1) Log on with Administrative Privileges
>
> 2) Open the Registry Editor:
> a) Go to Start then select Run.
> b) Type regedit and click OK.
>
> 3) Backup you registry by:
> a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
> b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
> Registry File.
> c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
> completely.
> d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
> Click on the SAVE button.
>
> 4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
> a) Go to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
> c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.
>
> 5) Restart your computer.
>
>
> Or try this:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/
>
> Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
> Windows Explorer.'
> Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>
>
> Thanks Shenan - in fact I found the registry file "cdgone.reg" which basically does the same thing. Many thanks for your help anyhow. I wonder why this issue does not seem to be documented on the Microsoft KB?...

Regards,
John
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:09:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

PC Wizard wrote:
>> Thanks Shenan - in fact I found the registry file "cdgone.reg" which
>> basically does the same thing. Many thanks for your help anyhow.
>> I wonder why this issue does not seem to be documented on the
>> Microsoft KB?...

It is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008

But in reference to things you may not think of or have done..

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Related resources
!