Sign in with
Your question

Copy Error While Installing Wondows

Last response: in Windows XP
July 27, 2005 1:41:54 AM

I receive a copy error every time i try to install windows XP pro. Ive tried formatting and
changing the partition.
The error states:

"The file <filename> was not copied correctly.

The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows
system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem
with the Windows CD."

It is not the CD because i have tried to install 3 different types of Windows.
-Windows XP Pro x64
-Windows XP Pro update
-Windows XP Pro

i just need to know what "The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows
system image" means.
What can i do???

Computer hardware includes:
-ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard
-AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Processor
-Sapphire ATI Radeon x800 pro Video Card
-Corsair Dual Channel 1gb DDR 400 PC 3200 Memory
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
July 27, 2005 2:53:18 AM

There are many possible problems that could cause this, starting with some being either bad RAM, bad Optical Drive, bad M/B chipset, or bad HDD, you need to eliminate these as possibly bad hardware and usually its best to start with the RAM and test it first.

Other possibilities defective P/S, OC'd CMOS settings, RAM set too agressive so you're going to have some testing to do to find the problem.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Puter</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 07/26/05 11:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 27, 2005 3:01:10 AM

Download <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm" target="_new"> Memtest 86 3.0 </A> its almost at the bottom of page under Memory Section and test your RAM.

Put the downloaded file on floppy disk and boot the machine with it, if you get any errors when it starts up you have defective RAM, if after a 30min or so run you have no errors you can dismiss the RAM as the problem.

Its going to be a process of elimination to find the problem.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Puter</A>
Related resources
July 27, 2005 3:11:35 AM

The same website I gave you a link to for Memtest 86 has a HDD diagnostics section, and you can either download a Seagate diagnostics disk creator, to also put on a floppy disk and check the integrity of the HDD, or you can download a diagnostics disk creator straight from Seagates website. Run a diagnostics test on the HDD and see if its good.

July 27, 2005 4:46:19 AM

hm.. it might be the memory.. i just have 1 question..
my memory is corsair duel channel ddr 400 pc3200 but my motherboard doesnt support that memory in dual channel so i have to put them on memory slot B and run them seperately

now for the question..
MUST dual channel memory run/operate in pairs?
July 28, 2005 2:13:39 PM

My board I run dual channel, 1 in A, 1 in B.
If you really think it might be the memory causing the problem because of the dual channel, take 1 memory stick out and load windows. If it goes through, your memory is the problem. If you get the same error, high chance it's not your memory.
July 28, 2005 7:54:07 PM

ya i have tried it many diff ways. Ive tried running it in dual channel, 1 x single channel, and 2 x single channel. It just seems like i get more of the copy errors when the memory is running in dual channel
August 1, 2005 3:08:08 PM

Did you buy a memory kit or did you buy the memory at seperate times? if you bought seperately, it won't work.

Have you tried a different CD-ROM, or is your Windows CD scratched up?

Granted, that is, assuming your motherboard and other hardware is working, that would be another thing to check. That'll at least take those hardware parts out of question and then you can start looking at other hardware, like your motherboard, etc.

If you're under warranty, you might want to consider replacing the motherboard and hard drive.
!