Motherboard for Duron

G

I'm going to be building a "relatively" inexpensive system for an AMD duron 1 ghz. I'm looking for a motherboard that supports both duron and athlon processors, uses the latest and greatest chipset (AMD? VIA?, is stable, and hopefully supports UATA 133. Any suggestions? I haven't researched M/Bs in a while and need a starting point to figure out what to buy. TIA.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
look for somehting that has ddr333 support. because those will most likely have ata-133 support...
not sure tho.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
There are different perspectives towards upgrad paths and also to where one save $$ in an "relatively inexpensive" system.
What i once did, in socket 7 days, is upgrade a sys in an "relatively inexpensive" way with one exception: the motherboard. I have never regretted this decision and still us this hight quality Asus motherboard to this day.
Opinion: "Do not skimp on the quality of your mobo".

Danny

No Barbie Dolls under the tree this Xmass! :frown:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
re: Opinion: "Do not skimp on the quality of your mobo".

Agree........

amen

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

I agree 100% on that one. I'm actually planning on cutting corners on the rest of the components by salvaging from older computers, buying a smaller HD, cheap case, etc. I'm trying to find a good motherboard with the latest/greatest stuff that is also upgradeable. Any other suggestions out there?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dont compromise on motehrboadr quality, you could be better of with a relatively slower procesor on a better motherboard.

The Asus A7VI-VM is a god integrated display board and quite cheap. But if you want DDR333 support and ATA/133, the ALi Magic1 rev C based boards like Asus A7A266-E and Iwill XP133-R are too good.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. It is important to have a good motherboard. I have a Abit BX6 Rev2 for almost 3 years. I have upgraded the system many time. My system use to has 300MHz Celeron with 64MB of PC100 and now it has 1GHz P3 with 1GB of PC133. It have been very stable for last 3 years.

TRENDING THREADS