emachines Vcore jumper settings: C533

G

OK, OK I know ..who the hell on this forum uses an emachine box. Well my father-in-law has an etower 466is with Florida TC/TGA mobo. I was able to juice it up a bit with 256 MB RAM, V3 2000 and a SBLive! card but want to replace the C466 CPU with a C533 (since this mobo takes that chip). I'm guessing the bios is the same for C300-C533 versions so voltage must be settable by jumpers. this puppy doesn’t have many so i figure the J4-J8 (?)set must be how factory sets core voltage for different cpu-box combos. the C533 cpu is recognized and windows 98 SE booted but… system crashed running cpu test with wintune 2000. i figured it was either heat, wrong voltage or both. 466 should be set for about 2.0 V if i am correct and 533 runs (factory) @ 1.5V so heat is most likely culprit (tho heatsink didn’t seem overly hot nor the cpu after removing the 533) i figure a healthy hs/fan like my retail P3-700 would handle the 2v heating if i cant find out if there are jumper sets for tweaking Vcore. Anyone know 1) if there is a jumper setting to get the 533 to go in this box 2.) what that setting is?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The voltage level is auto-detected through the VID pins on the CPU. There were TWO versions of the 533, the old Mendicino core (2.0v I think) and the newer Coppermine core (1.50v I think). If your motherboard is only compatable with Celerons to 533MHz, that means the older Mendicino core. But don't give up hope just yet-most i810 motherboard were compatable with newer Celerons, you may be able to support the 100MHz FSB version from 800-1100MHz.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks for the feedback; I didn't realize there were 2 flavors of C533 cpu. When you say voltage is 'auto-detected'by VID pins do you imply that it is automatically adjusted and no Vcore has to be set?

I'll bet this is 2.0 V Mendicino chip so will go for bigger fan/hs to get stability.

BTW..as a new mobo, that is out. The emachines box appears to have nonstandard architechure so swapping mobos not an adventure I'll chance on this job. I'll bet this 2.0V medecino chip so will go for bigger fan/hs to get stability.

G

OK Kenneth I have the answers!
I had the die specs so as they were :
SER#: FV524RX533
128 SL3FZ
MALAY
L-1470238-0709

I went to INTEL site and determined this was an OEM C533 using 2.0 V. Same as C466 that is in there now...which I was counting on.

Thanks for the help!
All i need is a bigger hs/fan (if i havent fried it already during Wintune stress test..not likely)

Happy New Year!

Stan

I am straight on auto-detection so I don't need jumper settings..there are none.But....

..got following info on jumpers(disk write is a little off but you get the idea)

FLORIDA-TG/TGA Jumper Settings J1 AGP device functionality
1-2 Disable AGP graphics controller built in the motherboard
2-3(default) Enable AGP graphics controller built in the motherboard . OEM/ODM selector
These jumpers (J2, J3 & J4) will be optional parts for the OEM/ODM logo message selector.
J5 CMOS RAM function Clear CMOS RAM Enable write/save
J6 Password function Clear password Enable password
J7 CMOS setup function Disable to edit CMOS contents Enable to edit CMOS contents
J8 FDD write protect Disable to write data to Floppy disk Enable to write data to Floppy disk .

OK Kenneth I have the answers!
I had the die specs so as they were :
SER#: FV524RX533
128 SL3FZ
MALAY
L-1470238-0709
I am straight on auto-detection so I don't need jumper settings..there are none.

I went to INTEL site and determined this was an OEM C533 using 2.0 V. Same as C466 that in there now...which I was counting on.

Thanks for the help!
All i need is a bigger hs/fan (if i havent fried it already during Wintune stress test..not likely)

Happy New Year!

Stan

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Even though they were 2.0v, they didn't get that hot. A mid sized cooler does fine for them. Pricewatch listed both varieties of Celeron last time I checked. Yes, voltage is switched automatically. Most e-machines were using a standard form factor called Micro ATX, so an nForce would be an option, if you got a better power supply. Check long and hard at Pricewatch, someone has a 245W unit in that size that should do.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?