Disappearing Tabs in the Display Menu of the Control Panel

All of the tabs in my Control Panel's 'Display' menu -- with the excpetion of
'themes' have dissappeared. This sure is a shame considering my display is
stuck in a 640x480, 256 color world. This also holds true when I get to the
menu via right-clicking the desktop. I've tried restoring my control panel
with a download from Kelly's Korner, but I think all I got was a trojan. Any
suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about disappearing tabs display menu control panel

    Hi,

    I would suggest you start by doing a virus scan with up to date virus
    software, then scan for and removing any installed spyware.
    If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
    from, for free.
    Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
    then do a complete virus scan.
    Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

    Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
    of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
    Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is
    a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
    and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
    safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
    After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
    update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
    spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to
    clear them all.

    Ad-aware Personal Edition finds and removes spyware and the like, it
    does not prevent it.
    There is no one tool that I know of that removes all known spyware.
    Here is a combination that works very well. There is an update feature
    in each of these utilities and it *should* be used before they are run
    to keep up to date. After these utility are run, re-run them in a week
    and see what they pick up.

    Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
    CWShredder -

    Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
    chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
    the Parasite Fight link below.

    SpywareBlaster:
    SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
    Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
    kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
    of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware
    and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
    cookies in IE6.

    For more information:
    The Parasite Fight: http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Cleaning a Pest-Infested Computer:
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    chedavid wrote:
    > All of the tabs in my Control Panel's 'Display' menu --
    > with the excpetion of 'themes' have dissappeared. This
    > sure is a shame considering my display is stuck in a
    > 640x480, 256 color world. This also holds true when I
    > get to the menu via right-clicking the desktop. I've
    > tried restoring my control panel with a download from
    > Kelly's Korner, but I think all I got was a trojan. Any
    > suggestions?

Control Panel Windows XP Displays