Skyrim: Still Choppy Do I Give up Now?

Last response: in Video Games
December 14, 2011 3:05:27 PM

Hey so to start of here's my laptop's specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
ATI Radeon HD Mobility 5650 Note: I have the 11.11c drivers installed
4GB RAM
Running Windows 7

Now, I would like to state that upon installing Skyrim I updated my graphics drivers and it ran great. I was playing on Medium settings with AA and AF off and the built-in FXAA on.

Then came the updates and Skyrim became unplayable because of mouse lag, and just general choppiness when I move.

I downloaded the ENB fix and 4GB mods and used them, boom its working again not lagging or being choppy so I play for a couple hours.

Then the next day I go to play again, I literally have barely touched my computer since I last played, and Skyrim is back to being pretty choppy and mouse is lagging.

I have my graphics card set to have VSync always off and have not yet tried turning off mouse acceleration because the mouse lag is the least of my worries when the entire game is too choppy to play.

I realize that my system is near the low-end of what can run Skyrim and that my GPU is definitely holding me back and my processor probably is too, but Skyrim did run perfectly when I first got it, so I'm looking to see if it's at all possible to get it back to that point or if anyone else has similar issues.

Thanks

More about : skyrim choppy give

December 14, 2011 4:41:10 PM

1 line response:

NEVER GIVE UP!

I probably just quoted a ton of movies, books and anime.

Long story:

there has been 3 patches for skyrim so far, all of them claimed performance improvements on PC, however, I didn't read any details on what exactly it is that they improved.

I'm also not sure what the "enb" fix is.

But I would strongly recommend to disable mouse filter and also disable joystick input. Afaik, vsync is to be disabled through the ini file.

what resolution and full settings are you playing at?
your computer is a bit on the low end, but you should be able to achieve decent performance.
m
l
December 14, 2011 5:40:36 PM

Yeah I can't fully remember if the first or second patch was what did me in and started the stuttering, but vanilla Skyrim ran fine and I even had minimal encounters with bugs as well.
I found 4GB Skyrim and the ENB fix in tekmage's skyrim experience thread as well as the latest 11.11c driver or my GPU.
I'm not at my computer atm but I'll test out the mouse acceleration thing this afternoon and see what happens.

I'm playing the game on my max reslution which is 1366 x 768. I was able to play it at this resolution before no problem. But I suppose I could try running at a lower resolution if all else fails.

As far as my exact settings, the game auto-detects my settings for Medium, so it's Medium settings with AA and AF turned off.

And yeah I was able to get performance and quality that was absolutely fine for me. I'm not looking to max out on ultra. I just want to be able to play haha
AntiZig said:
1 line response:

NEVER GIVE UP!

I probably just quoted a ton of movies, books and anime.

Long story:

there has been 3 patches for skyrim so far, all of them claimed performance improvements on PC, however, I didn't read any details on what exactly it is that they improved.

I'm also not sure what the "enb" fix is.

But I would strongly recommend to disable mouse filter and also disable joystick input. Afaik, vsync is to be disabled through the ini file.

what resolution and full settings are you playing at?
your computer is a bit on the low end, but you should be able to achieve decent performance.

m
l
December 14, 2011 6:33:41 PM

hmm, I seem to have missed the part that this was a laptop. Make sure your windows power settings are set to max performance while gaming. Some programs mess around with that setting in Win7.

also, for the time being try setting it to Lower settings manually (like lower shadows or texture detail in advanced menu) and see if that gives you a performance boost
m
l
!