When does System Restore refuse to put Restore Point down?

It's clear that System Restore does not simply put down a given Registry of
a Restore Point instead of one in existence. Before this System Restore
examines for compatibility the coming Registry and established programmes.
Sometimes System Restore adjusts them, makes some corrections and informs
user about this. But in a complicate situation System Restore cannot make
corrections and refuses to put Restore Point down.

Where can I read about:

1) What does System Restore control specifically?

2) In which situation specifically does System Restore refuse to put Restore
Point down?

3) Is it possible to exclude these testings from System Restore?

Thanks in advance

Lev
12 answers Last reply
More about when system restore refuse restore point down

    How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

    Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Lev" wrote:

    | It's clear that System Restore does not simply put down a given Registry of
    | a Restore Point instead of one in existence. Before this System Restore
    | examines for compatibility the coming Registry and established programmes.
    | Sometimes System Restore adjusts them, makes some corrections and informs
    | user about this. But in a complicate situation System Restore cannot make
    | corrections and refuses to put Restore Point down.
    |
    | Where can I read about:
    |
    | 1) What does System Restore control specifically?
    |
    | 2) In which situation specifically does System Restore refuse to put Restore
    | Point down?
    |
    | 3) Is it possible to exclude these testings from System Restore?
    |
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | Lev

    Hi Lev,

    Microsoft Windows XP System Restore (Windows XP Technical Articles)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp?frame=true#windowsxpsystemrestore_auto

    Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302796

    System Restore "Restore Points" Are Missing or Deleted :
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q301/2/24.asp

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    > How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
    >
    > Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx
    >
    > Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Lev" wrote:
    >
    > | It's clear that System Restore does not simply put down a given Registry
    > of
    > | a Restore Point instead of one in existence. Before this System Restore
    > | examines for compatibility the coming Registry and established
    > programmes.
    > | Sometimes System Restore adjusts them, makes some corrections and
    > informs
    > | user about this. But in a complicate situation System Restore cannot
    > make
    > | corrections and refuses to put Restore Point down.
    > |
    > | Where can I read about:
    > |
    > | 1) What does System Restore control specifically?
    > |
    > | 2) In which situation specifically does System Restore refuse to put
    > Restore
    > | Point down?
    > |
    > | 3) Is it possible to exclude these testings from System Restore?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance
    > |
    > | Lev

    System Restore does not automatically create Restore Points for me as the
    vent Log 'claims' I have insufficient space. All partitions and drives have
    10GB plus free space. Have tried reloading SR but have not yet been able to
    solve the problem. Any suggestions? I can create Restore Points manually,
    any number on any day, but all but one are deleted after 24 hours
    presumeably by FIFO.

    Hi Edward,

    I would suggest you start by disabling SR on all drives and
    partitions.

    Do a virus scan with up to date virus software, and a scan for any
    installed spyware.

    Turn SR back on on the partition where Windows is installed and any
    other partition where applications are installed. SR will be of little
    use on partitions used for data storage.

    Follow the link below and download "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
    utility. Click on the script and it will show the frequency on which
    Restore Points are created. It should be set to no more than 24 hours.
    http://www.billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/WinXP%5FTweaks/

    If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
    from, for free.
    Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
    then do a complete virus scan.
    Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

    Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
    of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
    Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is
    a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
    and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
    safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
    After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
    update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
    spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to
    clear them all.

    Ad-aware Personal Edition finds and removes spyware and the like, it
    does not prevent it.
    There is no one tool that I know of that removes all known spyware.
    Here is a combination that works very well. There is an update feature
    in each of these utilities and it *should* be used before they are run
    to keep up to date. After these utility are run, re-run them in a week
    and see what they pick up.

    Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
    CWShredder -

    Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
    Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
    chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
    the Parasite Fight link below.

    SpywareBlaster:
    SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
    Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
    kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
    of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware
    and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
    cookies in IE6.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
    > System Restore does not automatically create Restore
    > Points for me as the vent Log 'claims' I have
    > insufficient space. All partitions and drives have 10GB
    > plus free space. Have tried reloading SR but have not
    > yet been able to solve the problem. Any suggestions? I
    > can create Restore Points manually, any number on any
    > day, but all but one are deleted after 24 hours
    > presumeably by FIFO.

    Edward

    System Restore will create Restore Points for each and every drive /
    partition unless told otherwise. As Restore Points essentially only
    contain information relating to the windows system there is little point
    creating Restore Points for drives / partitions only containing
    programme files and or data files.

    The way you have phrased your message infers that your 10 gb plus free
    space is spread across all drives / partitions. However, only the free
    space on the partition containing your Windows operating system will be
    taken into account in determining whether it is possible to create
    restore points. How large is the partition containing the windows
    operating system and how large is the free space on that partition.

    If I have deduced the cause of your problem properly it may be possible
    to resolve your problem by moving folders / files to another partition.
    Where are your temporary internet files and your My Documents located?
    Also where is your Outlook Express store folder?

    How much drive space is allocated to System Restore for your windows
    partition -System Restore -Settings.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

    > System Restore does not automatically create Restore Points for me as
    > the vent Log 'claims' I have insufficient space. All partitions and
    > drives have 10GB plus free space. Have tried reloading SR but have
    > not yet been able to solve the problem. Any suggestions? I can
    > create Restore Points manually, any number on any day, but all but
    > one are deleted after 24 hours presumeably by FIFO.

    My thanks to you and Bert for your replies. Unfortunately I have tried all
    the methods suggested without result. I run KAV and NOD32 as AVPs and
    CWShredder, Spybot S&D, Ad Aware and SpyBlaster so I think I have as much
    protection as is available against 'nasties, as there is. I have also run
    on line scanners on the machine and as far as I can determine the the
    machine is 'clean'. As far as actual free space is concerned the 10GB plus
    free is the space free on partition. I take your point re the need to
    create restore points for partitions containing data and program files.

    I haven't have yet tried XPSystem RestorePointFrequency.vbs but will do so.

    This problem, while it seems rare is not unique. I have seen two other
    references to the same problem but no solution so far. As I create daily
    copies of the Registry using ERUNT the problem for me is an annoyance rather
    than 'critical'.

    Once more thanks to you and Bert for your kind advice.

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Edward
    >
    > System Restore will create Restore Points for each and every drive /
    > partition unless told otherwise. As Restore Points essentially only
    > contain information relating to the windows system there is little point
    > creating Restore Points for drives / partitions only containing programme
    > files and or data files.
    >
    > The way you have phrased your message infers that your 10 gb plus free
    > space is spread across all drives / partitions. However, only the free
    > space on the partition containing your Windows operating system will be
    > taken into account in determining whether it is possible to create restore
    > points. How large is the partition containing the windows operating system
    > and how large is the free space on that partition.
    >
    > If I have deduced the cause of your problem properly it may be possible to
    > resolve your problem by moving folders / files to another partition. Where
    > are your temporary internet files and your My Documents located? Also
    > where is your Outlook Express store folder?
    >
    > How much drive space is allocated to System Restore for your windows
    > partition -System Restore -Settings.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Using invalid email address
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> System Restore does not automatically create Restore Points for me as the
    >> vent Log 'claims' I have insufficient space. All partitions and drives
    >> have 10GB plus free space. Have tried reloading SR but have not yet been
    >> able to solve the problem. Any suggestions? I can create Restore Points
    >> manually, any number on any day, but all but one are deleted after 24
    >> hours presumeably by FIFO.

    Hi Edward,

    Yes run the RestorePointFrequency.vbs script. Make sure the frequency
    is set to no more than 24 hours.

    If the Disk Cleanup utility is being used, make sure clean up under
    System Restore is unchecked on the More Options tab. Having this
    checked will remove all restore points except the most recent one.

    Perform this test:
    1. Confirm that Task Scheduler Service is running.
    a. Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD then press enter.
    b. Type Net Start at the command prompt and press enter to make
    sure that the Task Scheduler service is up and running.
    2. Disable and re-enable system restore to delete all the restore
    points on the system.
    3. Turn off SR on all partitions/drives other than the one Windows is
    installed on.
    4. Reduce the "Disk space usage" to just under 1GB.
    5. Open My Computer and right click on the drive where Windows is
    installed and SR is monitoring, then click properties. Confirm that
    the free disk space is over 10gbs as noted earlier.
    In SR reduce the "Disk space usage" to just under 1GB.
    6. Turn off the screen saver, and adjust the power management options
    so the system will not go into standby or hibernate.
    7. Use the RestorePointFrequency.vbs script and set the frequency to 1
    hour. Leave the system unattended for 1 hour, then check SR for an
    automatic RP. Restore points are only created during idle time; for
    example, when there is no mouse, keyboard, or disk i/o activity.
    8. Check the event viewer to see if there are any events denoting
    Restore points being purged.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:
    > My thanks to you and Bert for your replies. Unfortunately I have
    > tried all the methods suggested
    > without result. I run KAV and NOD32 as AVPs and
    > CWShredder, Spybot S&D, Ad Aware and SpyBlaster so I
    > think I have as much protection as is available against
    > 'nasties, as there is. I have also run on line scanners
    > on the machine and as far as I can determine the the
    > machine is 'clean'. As far as actual free space is
    > concerned the 10GB plus free is the space free on
    > partition. I take your point re the need to create
    > restore points for partitions containing data and program
    > files.
    > I haven't have yet tried XPSystem
    > RestorePointFrequency.vbs but will do so.
    > This problem, while it seems rare is not unique. I have
    > seen two other references to the same problem but no
    > solution so far. As I create daily copies of the
    > Registry using ERUNT the problem for me is an annoyance
    > rather than 'critical'.
    > Once more thanks to you and Bert for your kind advice.
    >

    > "Gerry Cornell" wrote
    >> System Restore will create Restore Points for each and
    >> every drive / partition unless told otherwise. As
    >> Restore Points essentially only contain information
    >> relating to the windows system there is little point
    >> creating Restore Points for drives / partitions only
    >> containing programme files and or data files. The way you have
    >> phrased your message infers that your
    >> 10 gb plus free space is spread across all drives /
    >> partitions. However, only the free space on the
    >> partition containing your Windows operating system will
    >> be taken into account in determining whether it is
    >> possible to create restore points. How large is the
    >> partition containing the windows operating system and
    >> how large is the free space on that partition. If I have deduced
    >> the cause of your problem properly it
    >> may be possible to resolve your problem by moving
    >> folders / files to another partition. Where are your
    >> temporary internet files and your My Documents located?
    >> Also where is your Outlook Express store folder? How much drive
    >> space is allocated to System Restore for
    >> your windows partition -System Restore -Settings.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >>
    >> "Edward W. Thompson" wrote
    >>> System Restore does not automatically create Restore
    >>> Points for me as the vent Log 'claims' I have
    >>> insufficient space. All partitions and drives have
    >>> 10GB plus free space. Have tried reloading SR but have
    >>> not yet been able to solve the problem. Any
    >>> suggestions? I can create Restore Points manually, any
    >>> number on any day, but all but one are deleted after
    >>> 24 hours presumeably by FIFO.

    Thanks to all, but I have not received an answer to my second question -
    In which situation specifically does System Restore refuse to put
    Restore Point down?
    In other words - very often I can see such message: "restore point failed.
    No changes have been made to the system". And I would like to know: why?
    I have read many articles, but have not find the answer. In most cases it is
    an old Restore Point - 2 - 3 days old. But if it's so, why should I reserve
    significant part of my space for System Restore?
    Thanks in advance
    Lev

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Lev,
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP System Restore (Windows XP Technical Articles)
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp?frame=true#windowsxpsystemrestore_auto
    >
    > Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302796
    >
    > System Restore "Restore Points" Are Missing or Deleted :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q301/2/24.asp
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Lev wrote:
    >> It's clear that System Restore does not simply put down a
    >> given Registry of a Restore Point instead of one in
    >> existence. Before this System Restore examines for
    >> compatibility the coming Registry and established
    >> programmes. Sometimes System Restore adjusts them, makes
    >> some corrections and informs user about this. But in a
    >> complicate situation System Restore cannot make
    >> corrections and refuses to put Restore Point down.
    >> Where can I read about:
    >>
    >> 1) What does System Restore control specifically?
    >>
    >> 2) In which situation specifically does System Restore
    >> refuse to put Restore Point down?
    >>
    >> 3) Is it possible to exclude these testings from System
    >> Restore?
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Lev

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks Gerry. It's a work in progress.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Gerry Cornell wrote:
    > Bert
    >
    > Your new site looks interesting. Congratulations.
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> The purpose of the clean boot was to find if something
    >> in the boot process is causing SR to fail. You don't
    >> mention if anything was found, and if nothing was
    >> removed I doubt the problem will be fixed. While
    >> troubleshooting you can use the
    >> XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs script to speed things
    >> up. In the mean time I have created a site for using and
    >> troubleshooting System Restore. In this case it may be a
    >> good review and make sure we didn't miss anything, so
    >> far. http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Edward,

    Did you ever get your System Restore problem resolved?
    I'd like to know because I have the same, exact problem.

    Steve Brigham
    stevebrigham@earthlink.net

    --
    stevebrigham
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "stevebrigham" <stevebrigham.1v5lpv@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Edward,
    >
    > Did you ever get your System Restore problem resolved?
    > I'd like to know because I have the same, exact problem.
    >
    > Steve Brigham
    > stevebrigham@earthlink.net
    >

    > --
    > stevebrigham

    If you are referring to my problem, i.e. SR will not create a Restore Point
    due to insufficient space despite there being ample space (10GB) available,
    I haven't solved this problem, in fact have given up. I have since
    installed Norton GoBack that, with ERUNT, is far superior to SR.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Lev Wrote:
    > Thanks to all, but I have not received an answer to my second question
    > -
    > In which situation specifically does System Restore refuse to put
    > Restore Point down?

    As far as i know, system restore might not be able to put a restore
    point when it runs out of disk space. Thanks accepted!!

    --
    asim662

System Restore Microsoft Registry Windows XP