Dec 10, 2011
CPU-Intel Core i7 950,l3 Cache-8 Mb,Clock Speed 3066 MHz

Motherboard-Asus Rampage III Gene

Video Card-Asus GeForce GTX 465

Power Supply-Cooler Master Real Power 620W

Memorys-Corsair Dominator 3X2GB 1600MHz CL8

Windows 7 PRO,32bit

A Question:

If i have 6GB of ram installed,and for now the windows will use no more than 4GB of ram on gaming or work.

If i install Windows 7 PRO,64bit will i get more FPS?

Thanks

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You're using the 32-bit version of Windows, which can only make use of a maximum of 4GB of RAM...switching to the 64-bit version will let you use 6GB.

You'll need to let us know what games and what resolution you play at before we can answer your question properly! However, your system is pretty good. I would wait until the new GPUs start arriving in 2012 before upgrading. If you get the next-gen equivalent of anything more than a 560Ti / 6950, you'll want to get a more powerful PSU, also.

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Well yeah,too bad i dont have any money left after buying the cpu.

I doubt ill buy a new GPU because if i get money it wont be enought anyway..

If lucky ill buy a psu and a gpu.

The games i play are:

Mafia 2

Cod black ops

Battlefield 3

Crysis 2

Batman arkham city

Grand theft auto IV
Thease are the games i play about 90% of my time.

I play on max settings whit VSYNC turned OFF.

In mafia 2 and GTA IV i have shadows turned off too.

first off your system is fine for midrange gaming. you will be able to max out quite a few older titles and run high on the newer.
as you have 6 gig of ram you need to switch to 64bit. any idiot that says games run better on 32bit doesnt know what they are on about. personally i think we should stone all of em for being witches... ;)

other than the os change your system is fine.
performance gain in some games will be noticeable, in others (most) it wont...

Your system is ok for more modern games. See my comments below.

1) Going from 32bit to 64bit Windows 7 in your case is more of a want and not need. It would be nice to utilize all of your system RAM, but 4 GB is usually fine for most gaming and applications.
2) Your GPU is going to be your biggest downfall. I would upgrade this before going for a 64bit OS.
3) Your PSU should be fine for more any modern single GPU card.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
With a 1gb graphics card the actual usable ram is less then 3gb that the OS can use.

Installing 64bit would give you better all round performance, but it won't be massively noticeable on 90% of applications/games.

To get a decent upgrade for gaming you'd have to drop $200+ on a graphics card. 6870 or better.

^ Just remember that the AMD 7850 and 7870 cards should come out in February. The 7870 is retailed at $299 and $219 for the 7850. I'd almost wait for this to see performance/price at that time.

Usable RAM for a 32-bit OS should be about 3.25GB.

As stated by others, you video card is the weakest link. You will still be able to play games, but you won't be able to max out graphics. You CPU is fine it should allow you to play games for a few more years. My Q9450 is not the latest and greatest anymore, but it is still very capable at playing games. I'm waiting for Haswell to come out before I upgrade my CPU.

Encana

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Maybe after a few months ill start saving cash to upgrade to a better Graphics Card.

Besides that,will the new radeon or nvidia series work on the Coolermaster 620watt psu?