ASUS A7V266-E - NIC Problems

G

Damn... this is problem number two for me. Overall I am very happy with my setup: A7V266-E, AMD XP 1.8+, Samsung DDR, Quantum Fireball AS Plus, Windows_XP, bla, bla. However, when I shut down the machine, my Netgear RT314 still shown an open connection on the port that this PC is connected to.

IRQs appear to me OK. Windows_XP did detect & install a 2nd network card (though I only have one) which I disabled. This must be something onboard the A7V266-E. I do not have the "wake on lan" feature enabled in the bios. Error log looks very good. Router is OK too (I have other PCs hooked up to this).

Card is a 3com 3C905-TX-M. Any ideas?

-Mike

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
So what you're saying is when the machine is powered off, you still have a link light on your hub?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Yes,

If the NIC is 3com and the netgear is the router firewall, a port connected to another RJ45 connection on the other end may show a link. Open up the ping port on the router and have a buddy ping your machine when it is down. I suspect that he can't. Besides for anything to get in you would need your IP stack active. With the PC down there is no chance of that. Try this. Take a NIC and hold it in your hand and plug it into a port. My suspicion is that it will show a link. If it doesn't then the PC is still supplying power to the nic. If you have a softswitch try flipping the hard switch on the back of the power supply to see if that changed the link status. I suspect that it is not a "problem" at all.

svol

Champion
That's normal, if I shut down my PC it is still visible on the HUB. This is always with an ATX powersupply.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

svol

Champion
Do you have an AT or ATX powersupply?
Maybe your card doesn't have some build-in function like Wake-On-LAN and does not use the 5V standby line on the motherboard.

G

It has a new ATX power supply - Enermax 350w. The card does have the "wake-on-lan" feature but I did not connect the required cable. I am also fairly sure that I have disabled this in the bios.

May be unrelated - When I went to shut the pc down last night after some heavy use, it hung at the last stage of the shutdown process (You may remember, I had an issue before where it woud not restart but that has been resolved).

G

I wouldn't have thunk it strange but I have this card in my other two PCs - when I shut them down, there is no link.

Back to the a7v266-e: when power to he pc is turned off, the link disappears. You say that the board is still supplying power to the card - should this be?

I am concerned that this may be the cause of my machine hanging at the last stage of the shutdown process on occasion.

-Mike

svol

Champion
Could be something wrong with one of the drivers, if it still doesn't want to shut down, otherwise it can also be a error in Windows.

G

Well speaking from experience, the HP Vectras we use here maintain a link after power is removed. To test this simply yank the power cable from your power supply after you turn the unit off. If the link goes out yes it is providing power.

Use MSconfig.exe to disable things that are loading for a time and see if your shut down problem go away.

That's about all I have for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<b> If it beeps, It's still alive </b>

G

Just did some extensive searching on Microsoft's web site (keyword: shutdown). Apparently, this is an "XP issue" which will be resolved in SP1. A hotfix is available from Microsoft but you must contact them to get it (Q307274; issue type: kbbug).

Unrelated: NIC card link light still bugs me though.

-Mike