Local Servies screwed up

My husband's computer got some kind of virus/spyware/malware that really
messed it up. Someone else was "helping" earlier and he changed something in
the Local Services because it was different from the defaults defined in the
Help. Unfortunately he didn't keep the notes he made, so I don't know what he
changed. Everything else seems to be working OK, but the BITS service can't
run. The error is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
"The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service failed to start due to
the following error:
The account specified for this service is different from the account
specified for other services running in the same process."

The computer:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Compaq Presario Intel Celeron CPU 2.66GHz, 504 MB of RAM

It is connected to the Internet via a Linksys router. Accessing the Internet
is working OK, except that I can't do things like updating programs like
Spybot because they need to have BITS working.

There are several services different from the defaults defined in Help.
Here are the differences:

Name Status Startup Type Log On As
BITS Manual Network Service
(this matches the Help default)

Messenger Started Automatic Local System
(Help says Local Service is default for Messenger service)

(RPC) Started Automatic Network Service
(Help says Local System is default for RPC service)

UPnP Host Started Automatic Local Service
(Help says Local System is default for UPnP host)

Except for a few differences in startup type, everything else matches what
is given for the defaults.

Can anyone tell me what the defaults should be for these services? Or
rather, what makes sense for them such that BITS will work OK? I'm hesitant
to change them all in one fell swoop; if the machine is disabled, I don't
have enough knowledge to fix it. Another thing that makes me nervous is that
the guy said he thinks that ehatever he changed was from "Network Service" to
"Local System", but all the other services match the defaults given in the
Help.

Any help would be appreciated!

start->run->services.msc[enter]

Locate the BITS service. Double click it to get into properties.

By default it should be set to manual start (look about in the middle of the
panel). Make sure it's set that way. Go to the logon tab. Set the option to
logon as local system account. Apply and OK your way out.

--
Walter Clayton