Problem with Disk Defragmenter

In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."

The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
--
Duncan
5 answers Last reply

    Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
    restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer

    "Duncan" wrote:

    > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
    > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
    > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
    >
    > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
    > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
    > --
    > Duncan

    Duncan

    Does restarting your computer resolve the problem?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Duncan" <DHeyes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I
    > get the
    > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to
    > run on
    > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
    >
    > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and
    > nothing
    > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thanks.. tried that but all I got was the following message; "TYPE OF FILE
    SYSTEM IS NTFS. CANNOT LOCK CURRENT DRIVE.

    Also got the message; "CHKDSK CANNOT RUN BECAUSE THE VOLUME ISIN USE BY
    ANOTHER PROCESS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SCHEDULE THIS VOLUME TO BE CHECKED NEXT
    TIME THE SYSTEM RESTARTS? (Y/N)" I selected "Y" and restarted my pc... it
    still didn't work!

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
    > restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer
    >
    > "Duncan" wrote:
    >
    > > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
    > > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
    > > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
    > >
    > > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
    > > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    Duncan

    How long has this problem existed? What other Disk Utilities are you /
    have you been using? McAfee / Norton other?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Thanks.. tried that but all I got was the following message; "TYPE OF
    > FILE
    > SYSTEM IS NTFS. CANNOT LOCK CURRENT DRIVE.
    >
    > Also got the message; "CHKDSK CANNOT RUN BECAUSE THE VOLUME ISIN USE
    > BY
    > ANOTHER PROCESS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SCHEDULE THIS VOLUME TO BE CHECKED
    > NEXT
    > TIME THE SYSTEM RESTARTS? (Y/N)" I selected "Y" and restarted my
    > pc... it
    > still didn't work!
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    >> Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
    >> restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer
    >>
    >> "Duncan" wrote:
    >>
    >> > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I
    >> > get the
    >> > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled
    >> > to run on
    >> > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
    >> >
    >> > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and
    >> > nothing
    >> > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    Hi Gerry, the problem started yesterday.. I haven't used any other utilities
    except for WinSpeedup which is something I've been using for months. I don't
    have any other disk utilities on my pc.. at least, none I'm aware of!

Chkdsk Microsoft Windows XP