Problem with Disk Defragmenter

Duncan

In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."

The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
--
Duncan

Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer

"Duncan" wrote:

> In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
> message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
> the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
>
> The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
> happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
> --
> Duncan

Duncan

Does restarting your computer resolve the problem?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Duncan" <DHeyes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I
> get the
> message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to
> run on
> the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
>
> The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and
> nothing
> happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
> --
> Duncan

Duncan

Thanks.. tried that but all I got was the following message; "TYPE OF FILE
SYSTEM IS NTFS. CANNOT LOCK CURRENT DRIVE.

Also got the message; "CHKDSK CANNOT RUN BECAUSE THE VOLUME ISIN USE BY
ANOTHER PROCESS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SCHEDULE THIS VOLUME TO BE CHECKED NEXT
TIME THE SYSTEM RESTARTS? (Y/N)" I selected "Y" and restarted my pc... it
still didn't work!

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
> restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer
>
> "Duncan" wrote:
>
> > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I get the
> > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on
> > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
> >
> > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and nothing
> > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
> > --
> > Duncan

Duncan

How long has this problem existed? What other Disk Utilities are you /
have you been using? McAfee / Norton other?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Thanks.. tried that but all I got was the following message; "TYPE OF
> FILE
> SYSTEM IS NTFS. CANNOT LOCK CURRENT DRIVE.
>
> Also got the message; "CHKDSK CANNOT RUN BECAUSE THE VOLUME ISIN USE
> BY
> ANOTHER PROCESS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SCHEDULE THIS VOLUME TO BE CHECKED
> NEXT
> TIME THE SYSTEM RESTARTS? (Y/N)" I selected "Y" and restarted my
> pc... it
> still didn't work!
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
>> Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to the
>> restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer
>>
>> "Duncan" wrote:
>>
>> > In Windows XP Home edition.. when I try to run disk defragmenter, I
>> > get the
>> > message "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled
>> > to run on
>> > the volume :(C:). Please run ChkDsk /f."
>> >
>> > The only option I'm presented with is to click OK, I do that and
>> > nothing
>> > happens. How do I get my Defragmenter to run again.. HELP!
>> > --
>> > Duncan

Duncan

Hi Gerry, the problem started yesterday.. I haven't used any other utilities
except for WinSpeedup which is something I've been using for months. I don't
have any other disk utilities on my pc.. at least, none I'm aware of!

Latest posts